DELL 2405FPW Has Ghosting woot

Typhon

n00b
Well ive tested in two games, EQ2 and wow. Both of my 2405 monitors has minor ghosting along edges of trees and such that you can see when you move the camera around.

Anyone else got this?

Yeah it's pretty visible. I've resorted to putting my old 19" diamondtron on the desk in case it ever gets to be an issue. And really, unless you're playing Quake or UT you are unlikely to get into an in-game scenario where it will cramp your style.

Still not a good enough excuse to part with it though :)

Haven't noticed any ghosting whatsoever between WoW and CS:S. This is my first LCD too. Glad I don't have your eyes!

Here's how to see the ghosting in CS:S.

Go to de_dust. Face a wall. Strafe back and forth from side to side. Keep your eyes forward and focused on the wall. You will notice that the image is no longer sharply defined as you bounce back and forth but instead becomes a blur.

That is ghosting. And yes, you can see it on this display if you do that. Another way is to grab a window on your desktop and try dragging it around from side to side. It will blur if you drag it at the right speed.

Does this bother me? Ghosting is usually only noticeable in your peripheral vision. When you zoom in on someone w/your gun or focus on the middle of the screen to shoot something you usually won't see motion blur.

Just a question. Why would anyone go through these steps and spent time to locate ghosting effect? If you do not see it in your normal use why look for it using these thechniques. Personally do not see any reason for it. Again it is just my opinion.

Seriously, just put a CRT and the LCD side to side and you'll see an extreme difference. I am extremely sensitive and I can see ghosting and get headaches and nauseous from 8ms monitors!

There's no trick to ghosting. If it ghosts, you brain will pick up on it and it will hurt your vision and your eyesight. I had to get glasses just one month after I got a 25ms LCD (family has history of perfect vision).

If you don't notice it, then you're lucky. It's just an effect that you realize things are fuzzier, more out of focus, vibrating, or more dizzing than if you compare to a CRT.

I see ghosting in my peripheral vision AND especially when I focus. It's horrible. It strained my eyes so bad, my optometrist couldn't believe my condition went so bad so quickly.

FX55 said:
Just a question. Why would anyone go through these steps and spent time to locate ghosting effect? If you do not see it in your normal use why look for it using these thechniques. Personally do not see any reason for it. Again it is just my opinion.
I happened to notice that one day during normal usage (ie gaming). But it took quite some time before I ever happened to really see it there in the first place and that is really the only situation I ever pick up on it - when facing a wall and strafing.

I was just giving a method for exposing the motion blur effect with this display so that anyone who thinks it's 100% perfect in that regard can see for themselves.

Dude I had somewhat of the same issue with HL2, until I set the vertical sync on and it solved the problem. At least to my eyes.

ALL LCD monitors have ghosting, contrary to what many people will tell you (or what they want to believe).

kick@ss said:
ALL LCD monitors have ghosting, contrary to what many people will tell you (or what they want to believe).

/cry

I keep hoping for the day for a LCD monitor that doesn't suck for gaming. I'm pretty picky.

-Rob

they dont suck for gaming... people are just noobs. I love my benq fp937s... I would never trade it for anything. I have 20/20 vision by the way.

dano1122 said:
to those people saying LCD are better for gaming, you are decieving yourselves.

It's completely subjective, you trade off some things for others. CRTs have flashing refresh rates (highly noticeable even at 85hz after using only LCDs for a few weeks), glare, flawed geometry ect. LCD's have ghosting, less robust colors ect. I used to be the biggest protagonist against LCD's but I'm in love with them now.

after switching from a trinitron to a 2005fpw and 2405 i havent been happier, in terms of color these lcd's seem a lot more vivid and lively to me than a crt. gaming wise the ghosting is not a factor at all, its pretty much non existant to me. the widescreen is a big plus in fps shooters, i can easily see ppl trying to sneak up from the side. the scaling in the 2405 is awesome as well. i dunno about other lcds but im definatley not lying to myself switching from a dull trinitron

bench261 said:
... dull trinitron
:eek:

Bench, mate, you must've had a faulty monitor. Dull is the last word to use with (working properly) Trinitron tube technology. Maybe the manufacturer couldn't be arsed to design the electronics round the tube properly.

Tony - lifetime Trinitron, Diamondtron, 1800FP and now a 2405FPW user.

tonywalk said:

Bench, mate, you must've had a faulty monitor. Dull is the last word to use with (working properly) Trinitron tube technology. Maybe the manufacturer couldn't be arsed to design the electronics round the tube properly.

imo it just doesnt seem as lively...maybe it has to do with the anti glare screen or whatever but the colors for these lcds just come out at me.

kick@ss said:
I'm sure it does have ghosting. I just haven't noticed it, and I don't plan to go out of my way in an attempt to cause it.

sgt said:
I'm sure it does have ghosting. I just haven't noticed it, and I don't plan to go out of my way in an attempt to cause it.

Yeah, if you're one who doesn't notice the ghosting, LCDs kick ass. The LCD I use at work is a cheap 15in, and it has good colors, and decent viewing angles, but I hell when I drag a window around on the screen, I can only imagine how horrid it would be in-game. Maybe I'll get a chance at the next LAN or something to see someone with a 2001 or 2405 and see those for myself.

-Rob

lol i read the title and said hmmm.... yet anothger "ghosting" thread when it should be MOTION BLUR. Ghosting is when you see a full "ghost" or duplicate if you will, of the image that is slightly lighter when you are in motion. Motion blur is what all of you are describing in this thread, and this happens because the LCD cant keep up with the redraw rates like a CRT could.

This is not good news at all, I was fully intent on buying the 2405... :(

Is the resolution on this monitor 1920x1200?
I'm totally loving this res on my laptop...

All LCDs will have some motion blur and if you search for it you're most likely going to find it. Heck, you'll find it on a CRT too if you're going to be that picky. To me, gaming on newer fast panels is perfectly acceptable but I'm not a big gamer so...

FWIW, my Diamondtron is very washed out compared to my 2405. But it's also 6 years old, has massive burn in, and didn't quite survive a lightning strike (needed repairs).

If you're worried about gaming on the 2405 and you're switching from a CRT I'd be a lot more concerned about mouse performance.

tonywalk said:

DUDE. that's my same order:

kds Trinitron, Mitsu. Diamondtron, 1800FP, and now a 2405FPW!

Roger said:
All LCDs will have some motion blur and if you search for it you're most likely going to find it. Heck, you'll find it on a CRT too if you're going to be that picky. To me, gaming on newer fast panels is perfectly acceptable but I'm not a big gamer so...
I agree Roger. I'm a big gamer and it's fine for me. But I do recognize that although I consider myself fairly picky, there are others who are even moreso than I. YMMV.

I'm getting too much enjoyment from actually using my new 2405 for work and games rather than wasting time rapidly dragging little windows across the screen with the intent of saying "AHA!!! There really IS ghosting on the 2405!!!!!"

LOL atlwriter same here. Though I am a bit disappointed in the dead pixel I found, having thought for over a week there that I had a perfect screen. Oh well nothing is perfect eh?? :)

I have ghosting, nothing crazy but I can see it in WoW and NOLF2. I didn't notice it before but then I noticed it right away on the weekend. Pissed me off. I was playing Wow at 1920x1200 and NOLF at 1680x1050, I'm wondering if the lower frame rates are causing or helping me to see ghosting? Its not to bad, I have yet to try those games at lower rez.

I'll live with it I'm sure.

PS: I have ghosting, not MOTION BLUR problems.

xZAOx said:
/cry

I keep hoping for the day for a LCD monitor that doesn't suck for gaming. I'm pretty picky.

-Rob

Yeah I guess when the day you invent one we will all buy one...

someone saying that his or her LCD doesnt have any ghosting issues is like someone (who's got a butt ugly girlfriend) saying that he's got a drop-dead, gorgeous girlfriend.

it just depends on what that particular person's opinion is and thats all that should matter.

as for myself, I own a 2405FP and its great. absolutely no ghosting issues at all. (but then again, that is my opinion to which some people could care less about. but in the end, I'm happy and thats the only thing that counts with me.)

I should mention that I'm running my monitor across the room on a 25' VGA cable. That might or might not be the cause of my problems.

Yes you are righrt, the phenomenon should be called motion blur, image trails, or color latency and not ghosting.

vsync, dvi, framerates etc. have nothing to do with this phenomenon. It's in the hardware because the pixels can't change colors fast enough or they are slow in reacting.

bbertram said:
I should mention that I'm running my monitor across the room on a 25' VGA cable. That might or might not be the cause of my problems.

lol - a 25 foot VGA cable? good God man... VGA in standard length cable stinks bigtime compared to a DVI connection much less spanning a VGA connection 25 feet. :p

ozziegn said:
lol - a 25 foot VGA cable? good God man... VGA in standard length cable stinks bigtime compared to a DVI connection much less spanning a VGA connection 25 feet. :p

yeah definitely.. try using a normal VGA or DVI cable and see if what your seeing is actual ghosting or signal degradation.

Riptide_NVN said:
LOL atlwriter same here. Though I am a bit disappointed in the dead pixel I found, having thought for over a week there that I had a perfect screen. Oh well nothing is perfect eh?? :)
Dead pixels suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Back