Dell 2405FPW 24" inch on the way?????

bigg you must post immediately when you receive it dude, I'm an aussie too and really curious as to how good these monitors are.

bigg2005 said:
8 days after ordering

I hope that means I get "mine" next Monday! I have been hanging out for it way too much since it was ordered :).

santa590 said:
Sneak,
If you have been reading the other post, people in Japan are getting them and have been posting pictures. They do seem to have minor problems though. Some problems maybe from bad production models, so their waitng for a replacement. Need to wait if it's a standard problem or not.

The only problem that is known to be on every model is when your using component with a source of 4:3 ratio, it turns out as 3:2 ratio. Which means, 640:480 source comes out as 720:480 which is alittle stritched. Many people seems to be pissed on this.

Sorry for being such a n00b, but I want to make sure I understand this statement. From what I understand this would only effect the 480 HD signals, not the 720p and 1080i right?

If this is the case I think I can live with a stretched signal for only the 480 because from what I understand most content is moving to widescreen anyways.

Well composite and component SD is 720x480 for ntsc and 720x576 for pal. Since the scaler is assuming square pixels it's why the screen is a little wider for sd signals through component. For proper scaling of the image the scaler would need to adjust for the non square pixels of sd resolution. This shouldn't be an issue for widescreen sd since the panel will just rescale the image to 16:10 which should be fine, but will be annoying for 4:3 sd signals i guess. There might be a way to fix it by using the panels zoom feature and reducing the width zoom of the image to get a more proper aspect, I'm not sure if you can do that using the component though. I guess we'll find out more when more people get these in their hands.

720p and 1080i are 16:10 aspect ratio right? Is there any with 4:3 aspect ratio? If source is 16:10 with no black bars on top/bottom/side it seems to be OK from what I'm reading.

On the otherhand, you'll probably have problems using DVD players on component because most of them support only 480i/480p. The guy in japan states that the aspect ratio doesn't come out correct unless he uses his PC.

Looking at the manual there appears to be no way of scaling the x or y axis independently so your options are 1:1/aspect/full. Only these 3 preset scaling options and I assume all these options are expecting square input pixels, 720 and 1080i are 16:9 ratio but square pixels, but on those formats you'll just use the full scale option and it should look ok, 16:10 isn't that far off 16:9, 4:3 based content on sd uses non square pixels so no matter what if you use 4:3 based material and the aspect scale option, it's going to appear a little wider than it should. 16:9 based material on sd should be fine if you use the full scale option which just upscales it to 16:10 . I'm also very curious to know whether the unit supports 50hz hd options, ie 576p /720p50hz and 1080i50hz, it would be very useful for us Australians.

Wicked! I just placed my order for one there's a 10% off special for home users right now. With free shipping too. I called up and the rep upgraded my shipping to 2 day delivery. (After they ship it out). On the bad side, they're quoting buyers it may take up to the 24th as it's a new product.

I ordered overnight. I hope they have them soon. My gift to myself for surviving my house catching fire and nearly burning to the ground. on Saturday

Send .50 cents to my pay pal account so i can buy cloths roflmao Well at least i will be naked in front of a 24 inch screen lol :D

well, I just ordered one too. $1154 shipped w/ my stupid state's sales tax.

oh dear God, what have I done..................? :(

jacuzz1 said:
I ordered overnight. I hope they have them soon. My gift to myself for surviving my house catching fire and nearly burning to the ground. on Saturday

Send .50 cents to my pay pal account so i can buy cloths roflmao Well at least i will be naked in front of a 24 inch screen lol :D
at least its big enough to cover everything up :eek: :eek: ;)

ok

2405 is here.. It is sooo FN sweet (and big)..

The 17'' powerbook pics it up using DVi no problems and sets the native res
to 1920 x 1200

no so far dead pixels and the backlight looks consistant.

These are very early tests ill email more info and pics tonight

bigg2005 said:
ok

2405 is here.. It is sooo FN sweet (and big)..

The 17'' powerbook pics it up using DVi no problems and sets the native res
to 1920 x 1200

no so far dead pixels and the backlight looks consistant.

These are very early tests ill email more info and pics tonight
You got yours already? :eek:

I hate you!! :mad:

Great to hear you got it bigg, I have a feeling dead pixels may not be an issue on this display, due to samsung which have very good dead pixel policies plus there was some info from people who knew contacts withing samsung that said they had a process to fix dead pixels on the production line now.

I'd love to hear your impressions on the response times, ie how well it handles fast motion and also what sort of 50hz support is has for hd signals in australia.

ok

we got 2 in the same order for $1600 au each

the best price for 1 i got was $1650 au

Fyi: box details

box details

length: 74cm
width: 49cm
height: 29cm
weight 17.168 kg

gw

Was that just haggling over the phone i take it or did you use coupons or something? 1650 is a good price.

hi

here are some more pics

hopefully they help

http://offsite.willo.net/2405/2405.html

a few comments

dvi on the mac is stunning. Colours nice and rich.
svideo out of dvd player is also very good.

im having some problems with component out of the dvd player. ( i will have to look into it more) i think i have to set it to progressive mode but it seems to
only work with ntsc discs. not to sure on that one

ipod shuffle work fine in the usb on the monitor
card reader work fine under OSX for CF/MMC/SD/MS these are the
only cards i have

muuuuuusstt resistttttt.....

keep us updated on the component out on the dvd player

is there any way to hang this biscuit on the wall? any type of mounting bracket or holes in the back of the monitor?

here are some video input tests

Component Using Pioneer DV-676a (best quality)

Progressive

xvid plays ok
dvd-ntsc plays ok
dvd-pal display but wiggly line in top 1/3 of pic not watchable

Interlace

xvid plays ok
dvd-ntsc nothing displayed (black screen)
dvd-pal nothing displayed (black screen)

Sideo Using Pioneer DV-676a (better quality)

xvid plays ok
dvd-ntsc plays fine
dvd-pal plays fine

Composite Using Pioneer DV-676a (average quality)

xvid plays fine
dvd-ntsc plays fine
dvd-pal plays fine

Do you own a HD stb bigg? That would be a good way to test out the hd capabilities of 50hz signals, i had an idea 576p and other 50hz signals might have issues, your early tests seem to indicate that.

binister said:
is there any way to hang this biscuit on the wall? any type of mounting bracket or holes in the back of the monitor?
yes, any 100 mm VESA Mount that can support the weight should work

got mine on order. £799.oo + £25 postage and dead pixel/back light check.

i got my dell 2001fp same place this time last year

Cheval said:
$75 off coupon starting 3-2-05 in Dell Home.

Don't forget to use fatcash www.fatcash.com for another 3% off ! :cool:

thanks for the head's up. here's the coupon code:

?LBP9VN9BDDFT2

-I just called Dell and I told them that I have the coupon and they adjusted my total from $1154 to $1074. another $74 saved on top of the 10% from earlier....

very nice. :cool:

In a couple of the pictures that I've seen, it almost looks as if the monitor stand is struggling to hold up the bulk of the new 24" monster panel. Plus, a picture I saw on a Japanese site of a broken screw from a Dell 2405FPW is kinda scaring me... Can anyone disprove this theory of mine? (I sure hope so...)

Secondly, and I think a lot of people on this board will have a similar question: since the Dell 2005FPW had such horrible quality control and backlight issues, it would be reassuring to know that they have corrected/avoided them with this monitor. Could anyone post some pictures of how the backlight looks in a dimly-lit room with a black screen? I realize that the technology behind the backlights in the 2005FPW and the 2405FPW are totally different, but you never can know with Dell...

Thanks! I promise I won't ask any more questions. :p

I think you'll all know whether the 2405 is a hit or miss as soon as we begin receiving our monitors. Within hours of the first shipments received, we'll be posting pictures, along with raves of praise or vents of anger for our newly acquired 2405s. I'll keep the packing materials parked well within reach should I be dissatisfied with mine.

ozziegn said:
thanks for the head's up. here's the coupon code:

?LBP9VN9BDDFT2

-I just called Dell and I told them that I have the coupon and they adjusted my total from $1154 to $1074. another $74 saved on top of the 10% from earlier....

very nice. :cool:

Gahhh...saw that at FW this morning....I was going to hold out for sub $1k, but I am tired of waiting

I got it for $1059, after FatCash, should be around $1028.

Guess I'll be a guinea pig along with the rest of you :D

bigg2005 said:
here are some video input tests

Component Using Pioneer DV-676a (best quality)

Progressive

xvid plays ok
dvd-ntsc plays ok
dvd-pal display but wiggly line in top 1/3 of pic not watchable

Interlace

xvid plays ok
dvd-ntsc nothing displayed (black screen)
dvd-pal nothing displayed (black screen)

Sideo Using Pioneer DV-676a (better quality)

xvid plays ok
dvd-ntsc plays fine
dvd-pal plays fine

Composite Using Pioneer DV-676a (average quality)

xvid plays fine
dvd-ntsc plays fine
dvd-pal plays fine

bleh i was hoping it would take pal signals thru component:/

atlwriter said:
I think you'll all know whether the 2405 is a hit or miss as soon as we begin receiving our monitors. Within hours of the first shipments received, we'll be posting pictures, along with raves of praise or vents of anger for our newly acquired 2405s. I'll keep the packing materials parked well within reach should I be dissatisfied with mine.
Ditto. I'm pretty forgiving of a few dead pixels not in the center... But for an $1100 display I will be attempting an exchange if it comes with anything other than minor backlight leakage. It's the one thing I don't like about my 2005FPW (A01). The bleed in the upper right sucks in a dark room.

I am also keeping the packing materials nearby just in case and if it turns out to be a junker I'll post back here ASAP.

My order is in. Am wanting to get an arm for my 2405 also. This desk of mine needs to get clear after I move off this CRT. I have read a bit here off and on about arms. Seems some people like the Ergotron 300.

I want an arm that I can move all over the place including push it up a bit and to the back of my desk. Has anyone seen or does anyone have this one? Any opinions would be appreciated, including suggestions of other arms.

http://www.atdec.com/netscape/html/articulated_single.html

Back