Delid i5 7600k w/ Rockit 88!

IMG_20170505_064619448.jpg

It's so pretty... let's mess with it!
IMG_20170505_215243801.jpg

Power down...
IMG_20170505_220106699.jpg

Drain the loop...
IMG_20170505_221658449.jpg

Pull some pipes... y'know, I've heard it said that rigid tubing makes this kind of thing a pain, but I actually kinda prefer tearing down a rigid setup.
IMG_20170505_222948496.jpg

Oh no! That i5 is trapped, and filthy!
IMG_20170505_223927033.jpg

There we go, all clean and free...
IMG_20170505_224940318.jpg

... and decapitated. Muwahahaha! *twirls mustache*
IMG_20170505_232243516_HDR.jpg

The guts are filthy too, so I cleaned up the crime scene...
IMG_20170505_233323670_HDR.jpg

What's this? Shiny shiny!
IMG_20170505_233753582.jpg

And now we play the waiting game... More to come in a handful of hours! =D

Well, here's the results. The first image is my baseline...
Original Baseline.PNG

...and here's after the delid.
After Delid.PNG

I'm a bit disappointed, but probably because I watched a billion (actually) videos of Kaby Lake owners talking about 20c temperature reductions after delidding. It's not an insignificant improvement, but I set my expectations a bit high, I think.

The Rockit 88 made the job incredibly easy. I was very nervous about doing this, but with the Rockit 88 tool, it was only slightly stress inducing... and that stress was the result of my obsessing over things like "did I get enough of the old sealant off?" and "did I use the right amount of thermal compound?" etc etc.

I'd recommend it if you want a bit better temps, but it looks like maybe Intel didn't skimp so bad on the Kaby Lake TIM after all.

You are running too close to stock to see much of a difference, and it looks like you had a pretty good CPU to begin with. My 7700K could brew coffee. No matter what cooling I put on it, its cores spike over 80c the instant you put a load on it.

You looking to sell your delid-relid kit?

You are running too close to stock to see much of a difference, and it looks like you had a pretty good CPU to begin with. My 7700K could brew coffee. No matter what cooling I put on it, its cores spike over 80c the instant you put a load on it.

You looking to sell your delid-relid kit?
That's what the Rockit 88 guy told me. It makes sense, too, so now I'm fiddling with a more substantial overclock in the short bursts of free time that I get.

I don't think I wanna sell my kit. There's a chance I'll wanna use it on another system soon. Have you checked their website though? They're very inexpensive; $28 for the delidder and $8 for the relid fixture (as of when I bought mine.) They sell thermal compound and adhesive for relidding, too. =)

That's what the Rockit 88 guy told me. It makes sense, too, so now I'm fiddling with a more substantial overclock in the short bursts of free time that I get.

I don't think I wanna sell my kit. There's a chance I'll wanna use it on another system soon. Have you checked their website though? They're very inexpensive; $28 for the delidder and $8 for the relid fixture (as of when I bought mine.) They sell thermal compound and adhesive for relidding, too. =)

I know...I'm just being a cheapskate. I've poured a lot of time and money into my rig already (plus I need a new GPU and am looking at either Vega or a 1080 not-TI) and I can't justify more to myself unless it's a steal and half. I'm probably going to wait for Coffeelake and depending on how good it is either upgrade or delid.

That way, if I manage to f-up my CPU (unlikely, but possible) I can still drop in a 6C/12T i7 as an upgrade.

I know...I'm just being a cheapskate. I've poured a lot of time and money into my rig already (plus I need a new GPU and am looking at either Vega or a 1080 not-TI) and I can't justify more to myself unless it's a steal and half. I'm probably going to wait for Coffeelake and depending on how good it is either upgrade or delid.

That way, if I manage to f-up my CPU (unlikely, but possible) I can still drop in a 6C/12T i7 as an upgrade.
Are you watercooled? The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Waterforce WB recently dropped at Newegg to $600... Pretty good deal when you consider the preinstalled full-cover waterblock! I just got one a while ago, and it cools like a bear, highest I've seen after an hour of looped Valley at 1440p was 41c.

So, after the first night of testing, I have this to report:
1.35v fixed vcore
Multiplier of 50; 5GHz total
Max package/core temp: 70c

How'd I do?

Well, I seem to have found my lower limit on voltage. 1.315v vcore. Not as low as a I'd like, but I was a bit silly, I think, for expecting a ~31% overclock without a fair voltage bump... I say that, but it's a little less than 10% more voltage, so I don't think I did too bad!

Now to figure out offset voltage mode so I can have my c-states back.

Wow... that delid tool is pretty!

I have no need for it now really, but I want one! (y)

Back