Delete Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
chelski said:
hi,
ok you are sure your dealing with intel?
- any real proof its not just someone trying to scam you out of your chip?
what address do they want it sent to, and what phone number ?- you have checked this all out to be real i take it?

sounds like a scam to me - ebay would have pulled you ages ago if intel called them, as that chip only ever belongs to them - much like your bank cards always belong to the bank.

chris
This was covered already in the thread.

redeyes said:
And just to update again, I bought two of thes guys ES cpu's. The better one got to 3.8ghz on an Intel retail cooler (the older ones). Incredible cpu doing 1ghz overclock on stock voltage.

Woot!
...and now we realize why Kyle doesn't review engineering samples...

JohnAddisonUK said:
Just to update on the situation, Intel mailed me and confirmed that they got my old ES and that my new chip has been sent out. Will post again when it arrives.
Any news?

:rolleyes:

all that for an ES? serriously.........just return it, be nice, ask for a free intel gift bag, a replacment cpu, and see if you can get a discount on your next intel cpu purchase.....

dont be mean to them, im sure theyd spend 200 grand in laywer fees to make you "an example" easily.......and not think twice....

and if your scared to take it past 3.7 you dont diserve it.......send it back

soulsaver

soulsaver_8229 said:
all that for an ES? serriously.........just return it, be nice, ask for a free intel gift bag, a replacment cpu, and see if you can get a discount on your next intel cpu purchase.....

dont be mean to them, im sure theyd spend 200 grand in laywer fees to make you "an example" easily.......and not think twice....

and if your scared to take it past 3.7 you dont diserve it.......send it back

soulsaver

be nice? don't be mean to them? give me a fucking break. If anyone should be nice it is them, if they are worried about es chips getting out, which they have been sold and traded since god knows how long, then they should stop giving them out in the first place.

ChronicTrees said:
be nice? don't be mean to them? give me a fucking break. If anyone should be nice it is them, if they are worried about es chips getting out, which they have been sold and traded since god knows how long, then they should stop giving them out in the first place.

Wrong.

They have the right to ask for those chips back. They were meant for people like Kyle to perform evals - not to be sold. Many of the ES CPUs out there are meant for OEMs and component manufacturers to use for testing only. Without test CPUs, how would motherboard manufacturers be able to get anything working?

If you purchased a stolen car, do you think the original owner has to be nice when they ask for it back? I wouldn't be.

thread starter hasnt been around for a while, ummm, intel assasins?

I woulda kept my mouth shut and made a keychain if I were him.

Twig and Berries said:
thread starter hasnt been around for a while, ummm, intel assasins?

I woulda kept my mouth shut and made a keychain if I were him.

Intel Shirt Ninjas.

Truely a devious foe

Josh_B said:
Wrong.

They have the right to ask for those chips back. They were meant for people like Kyle to perform evals - not to be sold. Many of the ES CPUs out there are meant for OEMs and component manufacturers to use for testing only. Without test CPUs, how would motherboard manufacturers be able to get anything working?

If you purchased a stolen car, do you think the original owner has to be nice when they ask for it back? I wouldn't be.

The point I was trying to make is that if they are going to put them out in the first place, they aren't going to spend 200k to make an example of anyone unless that person is making some serious change off those procs.

And if the original owner of that car tried to bully the person who bought the car, assuming the person didn't know it was stolen, I would say that makes him a pretty big douche bag.

I believe he said that intel sent him another processor in exchange for the ES. That was the right thing to do along with sending lettters etc... If they were to ream him or make an example with a lawsuit that would make them no better than the RIAA.

intel's allowed to exercise their rights, just like every other corporate entity. if that means suing someone over illegal possession of their property, so be it. although, i do think it's more the fault of the initial distributing party, since if they were the tester of the ES, they should have had the accompanying paperwork that said it aws illegal to distribute or sell property of intel..it's called notice. irregardless of the fact that they've been "sold and traded forever omg" it doesn't make it any less illegal.

ChronicTrees said:
The point I was trying to make is that if they are going to put them out in the first place, they aren't going to spend 200k to make an example of anyone unless that person is making some serious change off those procs.
It still doesn't make buying stolen property right.

And if the original owner of that car tried to bully the person who bought the car, assuming the person didn't know it was stolen, I would say that makes him a pretty big douche bag.
Except that he WAS aware it was an engineering sample, and should legally be returned to Intel.

I believe he said that intel sent him another processor in exchange for the ES. That was the right thing to do along with sending lettters etc... If they were to ream him or make an example with a lawsuit that would make them no better than the RIAA.

I often hear that matters like these are resolved amicably when both parties are being reasonable.

ChronicTrees said:

If you really believe what you've posted, I can't figure that you know much about intellectual property or the semiconductor business.

Komataguri said:
Intel Shirt Ninjas.

Truely a devious foe
friend told me once, i think intel has a set up in isreal or some place like that.......

2 guys broke it.......never herd from again :eek: :cool:

soulsaver

Intel just wants information. That is all. They know that somebody is illegally making profits by selling ES CPUs, and it's only fair that they have the right to get to the bottom of it. Frankly I thought they would work it out with you from the begining. They aren't out to screw you over. There are bigger fish in the sea, and Intel just needs some bait.

Shameless Liar said:
Intel just wants information. That is all. They know that somebody is illegally making profits by selling ES CPUs, and it's only fair that they have the right to get to the bottom of it. Frankly I thought they would work it out with you from the begining. They aren't out to screw you over. There are bigger fish in the sea, and Intel just needs some bait.

Exactly.

They probably don't even care that you have an ES CPU... it's more that they want to find out who is giving their property away.

Trade secrets are much more valuable than the CPU itself.

Josh_B said:
Exactly.

They probably don't even care that you have an ES CPU... it's more that they want to find out who is giving their property away.

Trade secrets are much more valuable than the CPU itself.
Agreed. They need the profits just like any other company out there. Someone has to pay the bills. :D

I had the most brilliant idea.

Scream racism. Be all like "YOU'RE JUST BULLYING ME CAUSE I'M BLACK AREN'T YOU?!"

mikeblas said:
If you really believe what you've posted, I can't figure that you know much about intellectual property or the semiconductor business.

What would my knowledge of that shit have to do with the basic concept of not wasting money in an area that isn't exactly doing them harm? I don't believe people should be making extra money off ES chips, but other than that how else is it harming intel? If i'm missing a big picture please inform me.

For the most part, engineering samples are of unreleased, upcoming processors. These are enticing candidates for reverse engineering by those in the business. As such, Intel probably wants to enforce the protection of their intellectual property with "extreme prejudice." ;)

I think I see what you guys mean now, I guess I just didn't realize that the ES's would better for reverse engineering or think it would be any better than an ordinary p4 for those reasons.

ChronicTrees said:
What would my knowledge of that shit have to do with the basic concept of not wasting money in an area that isn't exactly doing them harm? I don't believe people should be making extra money off ES chips, but other than that how else is it harming intel? If i'm missing a big picture please inform me.

I spelled it out earlier in the thread, in this post.

I remember when I posted my ES on eBay a while back. The same gentleman contacted me about taking it down, of course I thought it was a scam so I ignored him. He then had me contact intel directly and ask for him from the switchboard. Once I found out he was real we got to talking and he promised me a equal valued chip for "RMA'ing" the ES. I sent it back to them (it was a 2.8GHz 478 P4) and to my suprise I was sent back not one, but 2 brand new retail packaged socket 775 3.2GHz cpu's which I turned around and sold for $250/each on eBay at the time. When he contacted me the processor I was selling was Buy It Now'd at $180. :)

Actually, it's laid out quite simply in Intel's pre-release terms and conditions..

http://www.intel.com/netcomms/prerelease_terms.htm

It specifically states that no pre-release product (meaning all engineering samples) can be sold or distributed to any third party under any circumstances.

So, please end this thread now.

Um, I think we all know they can't be sold, I don't see a reason to close the thread, in the future someone else might have questions.

Mod Edit: So let it be written, so let it be done...thread ended. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back