Del Toro to Direct Halo Movie

...possibly. Here's an exert from the new issue of Xbox magazine I got today.

DEL%20TORO.jpg

"Ain't it Cool News and Dark Horizons reported that the respected Hellboy and Blade 2 filmmaker had a face-to-face sit-down with Halo executive producer Peter Jackson to discuss the possibility, with the meeting allegedly going very well. At press time Del Toro's signing was believed to be imminent but wasn't official. While some may be bummed that Jackson himself won't be taking the directorial reigns, at least it means Uwe Boll won't come anywhere near Master Chief."
-As reported by Xbox Magazine, Ain't it Cool News, and Dark Horizons

My opinion: Fucking hell yes, I love Del Toro.

Thoughts and opinions, discuss the good and the bad?

This is probably going to be just as bad as the DOOM movie was. I saw it once, and I laughed, and then I deleted DOOM off of my computer. Frankly I never bought any Halo product, and thankfully I refuse to buy any Halo product.

Hellboy and Blade 2 were both decent movies so hopefully Halo will be ok although masterchief will probably be the star of another craptastic video game to movie blunder.

I find the negativity shocking about a Halo movie. Out of all the video game movies to be made, Halo is one of the few that actually has a story.

And don't get me wrong, I don't like the game Halo at all. I thought if the stages were interesting I might beat it, but I did like the story that was being told.

rcf1987 said:
Hellboy and Blade 2 were both decent movies so hopefully Halo will be ok although masterchief will probably be the star of another craptastic video game to movie blunder.

He also made a ghost story which escapes my mind right now that was in spanish that was really good.

He's actually so far a decent director.
I thought Peter Jackson was going to direct the movie though.

I'm just glade that Uwe Ball isn't directing it.

Del Toro is a great director and so it Peter Jackson (anyone see how much weight he actually lost? Its incredible!). I belive with these 2 together (even though Peter isn't directing) I think this movie actually has potential.

I heard Doom was a great movie and I heard it was ok but not sucked. Eh I'm going to have to see it some day.

rcf1987 said:
Hellboy and Blade 2 were both decent movies...

Ummmmm..... decent maybe in the fact that they could hold ones attention for the length of the movie, nothing I would care to see again.

I have a feeling the movie will suck horribly but fan boys will say it "pwns j00"

hellboy and blade sucked horribly

peter jackson following the books story line would have been great, but alas they get this guy whoes movies both i fell asleep through when i ordered them on demand

I read that he was placing Hellboy 2 before Halo and that if Halo goes to another director, he didn't mind.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/2460.asp

(This wasn't the article I was referring to, but I just googled for it so you have some linkage. I think I read it in a magazine, but for the life of me I can't remember which one.)

blade 2 was one of the worst movies ive ever seen. the only thing that saved the third is jessica beil

end of story

Netrat33 said:
He also made a ghost story which escapes my mind right now that was in spanish that was really good.
The Devil's Backbone, which also made a cameo in Hellboy near the Spear of Destiny that killed jesus, it's in a jar inside the case :p

I don't see why there is so much negativity towards Del Toro, I mean Blade 2 was easily the best of the trio and Hellboy was great. This is a best case scenario, honestly I'd be pissed if the movie went to another director and I really do hope he stays on.

Yay, more movies with aliens and futuristic guns (never mind the overabundance of FPS games with those things). Haven't people had enough? :rolleyes:

Del Toro? As in THE Del Toro that f-cked Scarlett Johanson in the elevator? The Del Toro from Sin City?

Or is this some other Del Toro?

fodder0 said:
Now the problem! WHO IS GONNA PLAY MASTERCHIEF?

i vote for chuck norris!

I vote for David Hasselhoff.

It dawned on me recently that his walk resembled poor motion-capture. This is surely the movie for him.

Json23 said:
Del Toro? As in THE Del Toro that f-cked Scarlett Johanson in the elevator? The Del Toro from Sin City?

Or is this some other Del Toro?

No, this is the fat Del Toro who likes to make 3 hour movies, then edit 2/3rds of it out so the final product shows a rushed plotline and character backgrounds that are so vague, you couldn't care less if they die. I'm not a big fan.

No, this is the fat Del Toro who likes to make 3 hour movies, then edit 2/3rds of it out so the final product shows a rushed plotline and character backgrounds that are so vague, you couldn't care less if they die. I'm not a big fan.

Thanks for clearing that up for me man, although I have to admit this Del Toro doesn't sound much better than the other.

Pierce Brosnan for Master Chief? Then we could change Cortana's name to c--tana and have a cybersex scene!

The MasterChief, you never see anyway under the armor. So just have the guy that made his voice play as him. :)

Same with Cortana. Keep the voices the same, dammit!!

People lets face the facts, Peter Jackson is executive producing the movie, he isn't going to let is become utter shit. Did any of you see King Kong ? That movie was breathtaking!...

I wish he'd direct, but he isn't. However having his name attached and with him giving input I'm sure the movie will be 'good' at worst. I think we're too quick to bash a video game movie.

Peter Jackson + $$$$$ + A good director = good movie .... reguardless if its a video game movie. Halo actually has a GREAT story. Obviously some here havn't played through it :p

vin diesel could be MC...since MC is just an all action, speak as scarcely as possible kind of guy...plus he has the body for it

RoffleCopter said:
vin diesel could be MC...since MC is just an all action, speak as scarcely as possible kind of guy...plus he has the body for it

When Vin Diesel gets into a pool he doesn't get wet, the water gets Vin.

Poor poor Halo. Better off making RvB TV seris, probably would be more entertaining. I lost faiath in video game based movies.

TheCowOfNow said:
Poor poor Halo. Better off making RvB TV seris, probably would be more entertaining. I lost faiath in video game based movies.

Damn you UWE BOLL!! It is you i hold responsible for people's lack of faith!!
Actually this guy reviewed the script and from what he says it sounds promising.. although i don't know how credible this site is.. http://www.latinoreview.com/scriptreviews/halo/review.html

Json23 said:
Thanks for clearing that up for me man, although I have to admit this Del Toro doesn't sound much better than the other.

Well, regardless of what people think of Del Toro, I'd bet we can all agree that at the very, very least, Del Toro is more acceptable than Uwe Ball. Del Toro sparks debate on whether he's good or not. Uwe Ball is universally thought of as the anti-Christ of movie directing.

I alwasy hope for the best but when the final product hits the silver screen it inevitably flops.

That being said, I hope Halo kicks ass. I thought both 1 and 2 were great games.

Jason Isom said:
I read that he was placing Hellboy 2 before Halo and that if Halo goes to another director, he didn't mind.

Thats the same thing I read too. I would really hate for Del Toro to direct it, I don't think hes got much talent, and all he does is super dumb down ideas it seems, Hellboy was a terrible rendition of a great story, and if it weren't for David Goyers writing, Blade 2 probably would have been equally unwatchable.

fodder0 said:
Now the problem! WHO IS GONNA PLAY MASTERCHIEF?

i vote for chuck norris!
Does it matter? The guy is going to be wearing a helmet. That's the whole idea behind MC. His face is as much a mystery as his body.

The moment that Helmet comes off if when the movie tanks.

DukenukemX said:
Does it matter? The guy is going to be wearing a helmet. That's the whole idea behind MC. His face is as much a mystery as his body.

The moment that Helmet comes off if when the movie tanks.
well if the movie is based on the first book, then yes its nessaccary to see him with it off, from when hes a child up to when he finds the first "halo"

steviep said:
Yay, more movies with aliens and futuristic guns (never mind the overabundance of FPS games with those things). Haven't people had enough? :rolleyes:

It's sort of like "movies with horses and guns". ;)

TehRoflcopter said:
This is probably going to be just as bad as the DOOM movie was. I saw it once, and I laughed, and then I deleted DOOM off of my computer. Frankly I never bought any Halo product, and thankfully I refuse to buy any Halo product.

Im going to "assume" you preordered the DVD which was released on the 7th
then backed it up to your computer, only to have a change of heart and deleted it.

because the alternative would make you a prime candidate for COPS,
where the quicker the stupid self-incriminate themselves the more likely they are to be a star :p

now now,
TehRoflcopter obviously falls under the first senerio not the latter
because Id be forced to take official notice of an admission of piracy

Im sure he was just pissed off over having spent that money on a movie he detested
punishment enough :p

Well it seems safe to say that Peter Jackson doesn't suck. He is one of few I know that actually took excellent beloved books and made a highly successful transition to screen with them. (I thought he did an excellent job with LOTR, sure some things annoyed me here and there, like the dumb shit with Liv Tyler that really didn't belong, but on the whole a class A job) Seems like converting Halo would be considerably easier. I enjoyed Hellboy and Blade 2. They weren't exactly brilliant but very watchable. This could be a good partnership of talents.

Back