Definitely nothing "arcadey" about Madden '09

As for the Home run play that may be due to bad AI or the actual player you are playing against because if you have ever seen the best of the best play this game you would see that your statement is untrue. The score are typically very low and you almost never see a blow out. If the "home Run" play worked then the scores would be like 72 to nothing. You may want to change your difficulty setting if you find it too easy.

Granted, things might be different now, but in previous years most of the world tournaments have had scores like 50-45. It comes down to outscoring people in most cases because the defenses are flawed. There are certain plays and mix-ups that simply couldn't be prevented consistently.
I saw some tournament footage from last year and there were a few players "grinding" out wins with running and decent red zone defense (which nullifies the longer guaranteed plays) but there were also a ton of shootouts, too.
Madden in the age of 3D has been like this more often than not. No matter how good you might be, there are some things that just can't be prevented.
I think that's what the ultimate yay/nay factor or Madden 09 will be.
How many exploits there are that simply CAN NOT be prevented consistently regardless of the opponent's skill level or the AI settings.
Not every NFL game should look like the Pats against the Colts. Defense should be an option.

Granted, things might be different now, but in previous years most of the world tournaments have had scores like 50-45. It comes down to outscoring people in most cases because the defenses are flawed. There are certain plays and mix-ups that simply couldn't be prevented consistently.
I saw some tournament footage from last year and there were a few players "grinding" out wins with running and decent red zone defense (which nullifies the longer guaranteed plays) but there were also a ton of shootouts, too.
Madden in the age of 3D has been like this more often than not. No matter how good you might be, there are some things that just can't be prevented.
I think that's what the ultimate yay/nay factor or Madden 09 will be.
How many exploits there are that simply CAN NOT be prevented consistently regardless of the opponent's skill level or the AI settings.
Not every NFL game should look like the Pats against the Colts. Defense should be an option.

Right on. I think the problem is that I had a moment of "aw DAMMIT!" when I realized that the balance of passing in the pocket vs rolling out was so impossibly lopsided. YET AGAIN ea does improve but fucks it all up with a lack of attention to detail. Just make the game balanced FFS. That is all.

Anyone try it on a Wii yet? (don't laugh!) I was one of the few that played it on a PC and only have a Wii and hate to have to buy a new console just to play the dang thing!

Can you shut off all the stupid "wiimote" waving and leave "spins" and "jukes" to button presses is what I really want to know?

No one has gotten or played it for the Wii yet, and can answer my question?

Let me know!

One of the things that pisses me off is a major bug that they left in from last year. Every once and a while, you'll throw a pass that's maybe a foot over the receiver's head and he doesn't even attempt to catch it. I thought they fixed it, but within the first 5 minutes of me playing it it rared its ugly head. Other than that, I hate the new view of the field. I'm so glad they let you switch to the old view. Other than those things, it's pretty good. Not much different from 08 that I can tell yet (other than the obvious UI and control changes). I hope they release a patch nice a quick like to fix some of the stuff i've seen though.

LOL

I can't touch the QB ever. No sacks in 3 games. That is with the cowboys too. Maybe I just suck. Or maybe the ai is HOLDING!

If they can tweak this game a bit, there is hope. I like the more technical aspects but it is wayyyyy out of balance atm. Not fun.

You know damn well what I am talking about. EA makes glaring errors in all of their games. It would be ok if they were not so far off from the rest of the game. I have put up with their bullshit for years b/c I HAVE to. That does not help my attitude either.

I completely agree.

I've had a hard time as well when I play as the Rams. Haven't been able to get any pressure on the QB while it seems that my pocket is constantly collapsing around me the second I snap the ball. My quarterback gets pounded and I can't establish any type of running game. Not to mention I get gashed by the CPU almost every time they run the ball...

Oh wait, that is like the real thing... :(

LOL

I can't touch the QB ever. No sacks in 3 games. That is with the cowboys too. Maybe I just suck. Or maybe the ai is HOLDING!

If they can tweak this game a bit, there is hope. I like the more technical aspects but it is wayyyyy out of balance atm. Not fun.

I can rarely do it, I had a sack with tank johnson against green bay today.

But considering Ware is the best OLB/pass rusher in the NFL it's pretty fake.

Pass rushing is tough, also the computer in the 2 minute drill seems almost unstoppable. I've also had a ton of big passing plays, and the defense can't seem to handle a pass to Westbrook in the flat. There's usually only a linebacker on him, so one broken tackle and he's gone. Had a few curl plays with the same thing, one missed tackle and my receiver is gone for 80 yards.

too bad there isn't a way to play cross platform because I would love to get a [H] tourney going but we are all on different consoles

too bad there isn't a way to play cross platform because I would love to get a [H] tourney going but we are all on different consoles

This is something I wish EA would come up with. Unfortunately, their level of innovation is just not gonna get it done:)

Just curious, can you still create your own teams like you could back in the PS2 days? In college my friends and I would make a league of goofy teams (like the infamous Honolulu Butt Pirates) and draft players from our home towns. Can you still do that?

picked it up on 360 the other day, first madden ive bought and played since 05? Its good.

Im to lazy to write out more right now, but I like the gameplay. The computer does complete like 80% of its passes but is generally pretty ineffective (im the vikings on all-pro) and fails to score and throws a couple interceptions. I had trouble getting sacks my first couple games but its seem to have come around a bit in my last couple games. Its a difficult game and is heavily reliant upon pre play adjustments.

a huge improvement over the last couple years imho (only played those versions a couple of times) and its really really pretty.

This is something I wish EA would come up with. Unfortunately, their level of innovation is just not gonna get it done:)

Don't Blame EA for this one. I believe that the blame falls on the console makers for the design structure they have in place on each system. PS3 is more flexable and will allow you to play outside of Sony's intra-net ( PSN ) 360 however will not let that happen so no matter how good an Idea it may or may not be X-Box live is a closed system that is in place to give people a reason to own an X-box since it is the only way you can get into that comunity. I wish it didn't remind me so much of AOL though

Don't Blame EA for this one. I believe that the blame falls on the console makers for the design structure they have in place on each system. PS3 is more flexable and will allow you to play outside of Sony's intra-net ( PSN ) 360 however will not let that happen so no matter how good an Idea it may or may not be X-Box live is a closed system that is in place to give people a reason to own an X-box since it is the only way you can get into that comunity. I wish it didn't remind me so much of AOL though

To be accurate, the Live system can be accessed through PC as well but I doubt we'll see a Madden developed for Games for Windows Live any time soon. That still wouldn't help those with a PS3 and I doubt we'll see that ability ever.

If EA were to somehow offer their own online service, this could theoretically be a possiblity I suppose.

I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I don't even know if the above is possible.

"But considering Ware is the best OLB/pass rusher in the NFL it's pretty fake."
hahahaha... overrated

Anyway, you can get sacks, you really have to blitz tho. I really like the pocket passing/blitzing in this game. It feels a lot more real. I have had 5 sack games. I have also had games against the giants where they raped my QB every play.
All the people complaining about scramblers... try throwing the ball downfield while running sideways. It definitly DOES NOT work like it did last year.

Back