Decisions Decisions

Mopar63

n00b
So I am right now fighting myself as I decide on a new monitor. I want to move to 4K but older eyes means the need for a larger display. I am debating the 43" displays out there right now as well as a 48" OLED. This will be 100% for computer use; from web browsing, to office work, to a lot of PC Gaming. I understand the advantages of OLED but am concerned about the risk of burn on. Like I said a lot of web stuff so the taskbar and top bar are up a lot. For gaming there are a lot of static elements and then office work, well you see what I mean. I understand there are steps I can take to mitigate this but the thought of spending around $1000 on a monitor and then having to replace it in three years does not set well. Nor however does spending that price on a monitor and not getting an amazing display.

Would love to hear some feedback from people that actual own either or even better both.

Next summer I will have used my LG CX 48" OLED as desktop display for 2 years. That's both for working at home ~8h on workdays + personal use on top of that. There is still absolutely zero burn in on it.

I do hide the taskbar/dock/topbar (you really don't need to see it at all times, claim that space for your app windows), turn the display off when taking longer breaks, have a plain black desktop background (rarely see it anyway) and use dark modes where I can. But honestly after getting used to this, I use that exact same setup even on my work laptop so it's not a real difference.

I would look at the 42" OLED rather than the 48" models tho. The 48 needs to be wall or floor stand mounted unless you have an extremely deep desk. My 80 cm deep one is not enough and 100 cm viewing distance is alright for me. I use 120-125% scaling for comfortable text size.

Yeah, pretty happy with my 43" FV43U. The size at first was jarring, but I got used to it and really am enjoying it for basic computer use (ie: web browsing, streaming) and gaming.

Not sure if I'd want to do work on the thing, mind you. Also, if I were a more patient man, I would've waited for the 42" OLED monitors (and might still grab one depending on how well they review upon release).

I use 2 43" for day to day. An Acer CG437K in the office and an FV43U at home. both are set about 30" away and I use 100% scaling both for work and play. The FV43U being newer is my preferred with better black and having HDR1000 is amazing both for gaming and watching media when I bounce back and forth between PC use and watch media from the varies streaming services even with a fair amount of ambient light in the room.

Next summer I will have used my LG CX 48" OLED as desktop display for 2 years. That's both for working at home ~8h on workdays + personal use on top of that. There is still absolutely zero burn in on it.

I do hide the taskbar/dock/topbar (you really don't need to see it at all times, claim that space for your app windows), turn the display off when taking longer breaks, have a plain black desktop background (rarely see it anyway) and use dark modes where I can. But honestly after getting used to this, I use that exact same setup even on my work laptop so it's not a real difference.

I would look at the 42" OLED rather than the 48" models tho. The 48 needs to be wall or floor stand mounted unless you have an extremely deep desk. My 80 cm deep one is not enough and 100 cm viewing distance is alright for me. I use 120-125% scaling for comfortable text size.
My current desk is 80cm but I am looking at a new top that is 100cm so I should be okay for size.

I use 2 43" for day to day. An Acer CG437K in the office and an FV43U at home. both are set about 30" away and I use 100% scaling both for work and play. The FV43U being newer is my preferred with better black and having HDR1000 is amazing both for gaming and watching media when I bounce back and forth between PC use and watch media from the varies streaming services even with a fair amount of ambient light in the room.
I have been looking at the Acer, Gigabyte and Asus models and the Gigabyte seems to be the best reviewed. Lighting in my room is a none issue as the room is fairly dark and I get next to no sunlight in here, yes I know that is sad. The window in the room is directly behind me so I use wood slatted blinds to keep the light from glaring my screen.

My current desk is 80cm but I am looking at a new top that is 100cm so I should be okay for size.
I'd still wall mount if that's an option. The LG stands are crap and will poke out about 10-11 cm from the back with no adjustment for angle or height.

I'd still wall mount if that's an option. The LG stands are crap and will poke out about 10-11 cm from the back with no adjustment for angle or height.
I have found a couple of desk mounts that offer some level of control and can handle the weight of a 48" TV.

I have found a couple of desk mounts that offer some level of control and can handle the weight of a 48" TV.
Desk mounts limit you to the depth of the desk. Because the TV is so large, you can't turn the desk arm so that the TV sits behind the desk as the side of the TV will hit the foot of the stand. With simpler pole mounts you don't save a whole lot of space vs stock stand even if you do have a bit of adjustment.

Here's a good option for wall mounting that gives a lot of flexibility: Monoprice full motion mount

I have one for my secondary desk and it is really nice to be able to pull the display closer when I want - change angle of viewing, etc.

I use both 43" TVs for my PC displays and I have a 49" TV as well. I think my preference going forward will be the 43" range. I tend to sit pretty close and the immersion is great without it feeling like too much.

Back