• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Decision time.

7800 GT or R520?

  • 7800 GT

    Votes: 30 71.4%
  • R520

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • other (please specify)

    Votes: 3 7.1%

  • Total voters
    42
  • Poll closed .

Seizure Explosion

Weaksauce
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
116
I have to decide if I want to get a 7800 GT with a free mobo or if I should wait for the R520. I want to play F.E.A.R. at 1024 X 768 resolution smoothly. I am on a budget and won't go anywhere past $450 on a card, and then even that's a stretch. So the things that I need to balance are performance vs. price. So what do you folk think.

BTW try to resist any urges to blurt out Nvidia or ATI just because you've had good cards from them before.
 
I am going Cross Fire with two R520s.
My rig will kick some ass.

Kick kick kick...kick some ass.
 
You can't get a reliable response on this, considering that one of the cards you're asking about isn't even available.

The answer is simple. If you need an upgrade now, go ahead and get the 7800GT bundle you're looking at. It's a good deal and it should do what you need it to very well. If you can wait, go ahead and wait to see reviews on the R520 cards when they come out and THEN make your decision.
 
Whoever voted for the R520 are fan boys. seriously, it isn't even out yet, it can be as slow as a 6800GT or as fast as a 7800GTX.
 
Personally? I bought the 7800GT instead of waiting. It will likely take awhile for R520 prices to dip anyway once it launches, just like any other video card.
 
I didn't vote. I can't decide either. I'm with go_postal above in that I'm running Socket A and need basically everything.
 
Get the 7800 + mobo special now. Can't beat a free new mobo!
 
Yeah I was waiting for the R520 to upgrade but I just went for the free mobo + 7800GTX. ATI's drivers kind of suck if you want to do anything else besides gaming with them also.
 
The performance of the R520 is going to be soo amazing that no one will ever need to purchase another card. Having obsoleted the GPU market is the "true" reason that ATI's stock holders are all suing ATI. :D

Anything else will SUXORZZZ :p

Just kidding, seriously, you'll enjoy the 7800GT and based on recent public disclosures, the R520 should be close to the same performance (or slightly better if they can lock the clocks down, whatever that means).

So you can enjoy what's out now and be fairly certain it'll still be excellent in comparison to whenever they finally release the R520.
 
Back
Top