• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Decided to join the horde

flint338

Gawd
Joined
Oct 26, 2005
Messages
1,005
Decided to give it a whirl.

Boxen..
Core 2 Duo @ 3.0ghz (running single core console for now, couldnt get SMP to work)
P4-915 @ 4.0ghz (also running single core, linux 32bit)
Turion 1.6ghz
AMD64 3200+ @ 2.5ghz
AMD64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz

And I'll add my dual p3-1ghz if I can get a linux client working under freebsd.
edit: okay, that was easy.. just install the linux compat. libraries, add -freeBSD to the backside and it's going.

They really need to come up with a better SMP solution :).
 
Welcome. I think this is the most exciting time. You can move up several thousand ranks every day. I jumped from being ranked 8,000 on the team to being ranked 5,400, so its very exciting.
 
Decided to give it a whirl.

Welcome to the [H]orde, flint338.

I'm sure you will get some advice on getting the SMP running from our resident
experts. In the mean time, you can get a second console running on your
C2D for more folding goodness and more whirl.

Fold on!

 
Welcome to the [H]orde. you are in the only right team in the world ;)

 
Decided to give it a whirl.

Boxen..
Core 2 Duo @ 3.0ghz (running single core console for now, couldnt get SMP to work)
P4-915 @ 4.0ghz (also running single core, linux 32bit)
Turion 1.6ghz
AMD64 3200+ @ 2.5ghz
AMD64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz

And I'll add my dual p3-1ghz if I can get a linux client working under freebsd.
edit: okay, that was easy.. just install the linux compat. libraries, add -freeBSD to the backside and it's going.

They really need to come up with a better SMP solution :).

Welcome, welcome. We enjoy the company of new people all the time as well as any folding power they bring us.

I personally don't have a problem with the SMP client, then again I'm running it under Linux which seems to be much more stable with fewer problems. Yes, it has to run in a console but that's not a big deal for me, especially under Linux. Dual monitors, dual desktops and dual taskbars. The console sits with several other programs on my secondary monitor so it's not in the way of my primary tasks. I could also just start it up on another desktop and switch back the original desktop and never see it as well.

You'll definitely be tearing through the ranks pretty quick with that much hardware. Enjoy your climb to the top. I will warn you, though, it's a hell of a lot tougher when you get to around my rank. It's tooth and nail fighting for practically every place you gain. Nothing like a little competitive fun.

 
Nice - welcome. Thats a good collection of boxen and will crank out some good points. :)

 
Welcome to the Hardest Team in the World!

Turn in some points and grab yourself a badge, like this one:



 
Nice farm!

Welcome to the team, glad to have you here.... and please be sure and give me a friendly wave when you pass me by:)

 
thanks guys..

found out I could just run a second client under the smp boxen, with different machine IDs. Simple.

Haven't bothered with this machine yet... as I think I'm going to plug in my old x1950 and use one of the cores with that, provided my psu doesn't blow up :). If only linux had a gpu client!
 
thanks guys..

found out I could just run a second client under the smp boxen, with different machine IDs. Simple.

Haven't bothered with this machine yet... as I think I'm going to plug in my old x1950 and use one of the cores with that, provided my psu doesn't blow up :). If only linux had a gpu client!


Keep in mind that GPU folding uses lots of electricity for not much points.

It is more economical to run the SMP.
 
Your SMP boxen should just be running SMP. No more clients are required.

The linux clients require x64, which none of my machines are using (all 32-bit). The SMP client on my windows machine (the core2) completely craps out and I haven't bothered to work on it.

However, running multiple copies seems to work perfectly. Unless you can give me a good reason not to run multiple clients (is the smp client faster..?), I can't see a reason to switch :).
 
Two standard clients may top out at roughly 600 PPD on the C2D, while the SMP client will likely reach 1500+ :D
 
SMP cranks major points. Others will have more/better details, but if you can run SMP it is best to do so.

 
Decided to give it a whirl.

Boxen..
Core 2 Duo @ 3.0ghz (running single core console for now, couldnt get SMP to work)
P4-915 @ 4.0ghz (also running single core, linux 32bit)
Turion 1.6ghz
AMD64 3200+ @ 2.5ghz
AMD64 3000+ @ 2.4ghz

And I'll add my dual p3-1ghz if I can get a linux client working under freebsd.
edit: okay, that was easy.. just install the linux compat. libraries, add -freeBSD to the backside and it's going.

They really need to come up with a better SMP solution :).
Welcome to the [H]orde. :)

Nice farm you have. What kind of P4 is that you are running? 4GHz is quite high and it must be running a little hot unless it's water-cooled.

I'm afraid the only system that can run the SMP client is the C2D. The dual PIII is too slow IMO for anything. I have a dual PIII 1.1GHz and even the standard client was taking too long to be worth the power consumption or heat output in the summer. I was running two clients but each one was taking at least a week to complete WUs. The relatively low point values made it excruciating to monitor its glacial advance. It simply wasn't worth the trouble so I turned it off last month.

Too bad the AMD systems aren't dual-core.They would have been decent for the SMP client. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

 
Welcome to the [H]orde. :)

Nice farm you have. What kind of P4 is that you are running? 4GHz is quite high and it must be running a little hot unless it's water-cooled.

I'm afraid the only system that can run the SMP client is the C2D. The dual PIII is too slow IMO for anything. I have a dual PIII 1.1GHz and even the standard client was taking too long to be worth the power consumption or heat output in the summer. I was running two clients but each one was taking at least a week to complete WUs. The relatively low point values made it excruciating to monitor its glacial advance. It simply wasn't worth the trouble so I turned it off last month.

Too bad the AMD systems aren't dual-core.They would have been decent for the SMP client. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

The p4 is a 915, presler core.. its air cooled, freezer 7 pro. I've taken it up to 4.5ghz @ 1.3v prime stable, but it was getting a bit toasty and that's drawing a LOT of power. It's my primary linux workstation, and 4ghz (or 4.1ghz as it actually is now..) it's quite powerful and runs at 50C, both cores while folding. I actually like this computer a lot more than my c2d, simply because I can't crash this damn thing no matter what I do. The c2d build has been nothing but a pain in my ass since I built it. Sure is quick tho.

STILL can't get the fucking SMP client to work, I'll post a new thread with questions on it.

Anyways.. the other machines all have other functions (turion == laptop, the dual p3 is my router/mail server), other two AMDs are my parent's comps. And yeah, the p3 is pretty slow at crunching.. but hey, it's not doing a whole lot else.

I may try to do ubuntu 64 on this bitch to see if the linux client w/ smp is worthwhile.
 
I only have multi-core processors running folding anymore except for my P4 2.8 at work. My single core boxen I have running WCG. Then again, two of them are P3's and the other is an XP1700+. The XP isn't bad at crunching F@H but I prefer to have it turning in a couple units a day or so for WCG. The P3's were taking over a week to crunch F@H units so I switched one over to WCG and started the other one up on WCG.

The slower boxen seem to do better on WCG so that's where I have them. The multi-core processors do better on F@H so I have them on there. Resource management.

 
The p4 is a 915, presler core.. its air cooled, freezer 7 pro. I've taken it up to 4.5ghz @ 1.3v prime stable, but it was getting a bit toasty and that's drawing a LOT of power. It's my primary linux workstation, and 4ghz (or 4.1ghz as it actually is now..) it's quite powerful and runs at 50C, both cores while folding. I actually like this computer a lot more than my c2d, simply because I can't crash this damn thing no matter what I do. The c2d build has been nothing but a pain in my ass since I built it. Sure is quick tho.
I didn't know you had a dual-core P4. The P4 Presler looks to be a great processor @4.0GHz+. You can easily run the SMP client on that and the C2D. Together, they will get you the bulk of your weekly production. Your SMP problems are most likely attributed to the different setup. Compared to the regular client, it can be a little confusing first time around. I will take a gander at your other thread to see if I can help.
 
Back
Top