Decent monitors for Eyefinity.

Hello everyone!

I'm a long time lurker here, and have decided to make [H] my new home, as my experience on OCN has only gotten worse in recent months, so I'm glad to be making the transition!

I'm currently looking at purchasing a 3 monitor setup and an 5870 Crossfire setup, however, I really am a noob when it comes to monitors.

I've been doing alot of reading, and the general census is that IPS panels are preffered for Eyefinity / Multi-Monitor setups due to their wide viewing angles, however, as an Australian resident, I've realised that I'm going to be paying a devastating price premium for any half decent IPS panel, and I'm really not sure where to go from here.

I've given myself a budget of approx. $1500 (AU) for monitors. I don't really want to exceed it as I'm a Uni student, which means I'm constantly lacking funding.

My usage is split between gaming and graphic design (which I'm studying), and is currently about 60% gaming, 40% designing.

I've never use an IPS panel in my life, so I don't know just how good they are. However, I notice a huge difference in comparing my older Samsung 223BW to the newer Samsung P2350.

I'm wondering what [H] think's of the situation I have at hand, and if their are any aussies here with a killer Eyefinity / Multi-Monitor setup, please let me know what you've got, where you got it, and if you wouldn't mind, how much for!

Thanks for having a read!

Last edited:
Well, you could wait and see for how much HP will sell their ZW24r/ZW22r monitors down under, but since you aussies are sometimes even worse off than us europeans as far as having access to the latest tech goes, you could also consider the Dell 2209WA for AUS $409.
If you buy them on ebay, they're even cheaper.

There are other decent eyefinity monitors out there, but I did a quick search and the likes of the NEC EA231WMi seems way overpriced down under, at AUS $600.

I used to check out an Australian overlockers forum for info on eyefinity setups, but I can't seem to find it anymore. But I'm sure there are enough aussies on [H] as well. ;)

Thanks for the reply Ascario. Yeah, i'm definitely going to keep my eyes on the ZW24r / ZW22r, but I'm feeling a nice price sting coming on.

Also, don't I need DisplayPort for Eyefinity? The 2209WA doesn't come with DP. :*(

Thanks for the reply Ascario. Yeah, i'm definitely going to keep my eyes on the ZW24r / ZW22r, but I'm feeling a nice price sting coming on.

Also, don't I need DisplayPort for Eyefinity? The 2209WA doesn't come with DP. :*(

You can always pick up an active DP adapter, it'll do DP -> DVI.

You're right, forgot about that for a sec, sorry! :eek:

Like 450 said, you would need an active DP to Dual-Link DVI adapter. That's the only reason why I haven't ordered 3 Dell's myself, they still don't sell those adapters in Belgium. And now with those HP monitors looking so tempting (well, until street prices are known anyway), I'd rather wait a bit longer than go on a shopping spree.

Yeah, I could! I totally forgot, that was really silly of me. Thanks for the great pointers guys, i really appreciate the help :)

Hopefully the new HP range hits the right price point!!

Can't you use the DP to VGA adapter? That's only about $30.

You could. I did read that some people experience flickering issues when using a DP to VGA adapter, however. Besides, wouldn't you lose some image quality as well? Since you're actually converting the signal from digital to analog and then on the pc to digital again. Or would this be negligable?

I went to go try and find a couple more G2400WD Benq's for eyefinity and it appears they are now discontinued?? Benq America doesn't even list them (although the global benq site does). Newegg/Amazon both have them as unavailable.

You could. I did read that some people experience flickering issues when using a DP to VGA adapter, however. Besides, wouldn't you lose some image quality as well? Since you're actually converting the signal from digital to analog and then on the pc to digital again. Or would this be negligable?

Hmm, that doesn't sound ideal if their is a drop in IQ. I'm not trying to be nit picky or anal retentive, but I've never had an IPS panel before, and after hearing how good they are, I don't really want to pay a price premium for them and know that the IQ isn't what it could / should be.

Wait,Wait Wait, seems like its always Wait a bit longer for this one or that one to come out. Isnt there one right now that is at all worth it or the least likely to be junk?

ZR24w and ZR22w... :rolleyes:
Oops! :p
That's what you get for not copy pasting.

PrpnNightmare said:
Hmm, that doesn't sound ideal if their is a drop in IQ. I'm not trying to be nit picky or anal retentive, but I've never had an IPS panel before, and after hearing how good they are, I don't really want to pay a price premium for them and know that the IQ isn't what it could / should be.
I'm not 100% sure about that IQ loss, but I have experienced differences in IQ on LCD screens when either a VGA or DVI cable is attached. Couldn't quite put my finger on what exactly was different, but DVI felt nicer imho. I figured that it's quite logical as pc->dvi->LCD means no signal conversion and hence no quality loss. Can anyone confirm this with some hard data?

Back