[Deadish - up to $80] [Warm] Refurbished HGST Ultrastar HE10 10TB SATA HUH721010ALE601 - eBay $70

Thanks for this, in for 4 of the 10TB. The coupon works for the 10TB as well, knocking it down to $62.99, so $6.30/TB.

The coupon only showed up once I signed into Ebay and appears to be tied to the account. Good for one time use only, expires June 10, 2024. 10% off entire purchase.

WD Ultrastar DC H530 14tb Drives for $99 on newegg by GoHardDrive. Refurbished of course...Same model that GoHardDrive is selling on ebay, along with the 5 year seller provided warranty. $7.14 a gigabyte....Not too shabby.

https://www.newegg.com/hgst-western...-01N48?Item=9SIA5ADK031508&Tpk=9SIA5ADK031508

That's pretty appealing. 10TB is too low for me to jump on despite the price, but 14TB would be a nice slot in.
I know these are good drives but the 5 years scares me considering these are heliums and ours have started failing at the 6 year mark. I guess they haven't figured out to keep the lighter than air gas inside forever. ;-)

Or it's just media wear. I mean recording 24x7 in a conditioned environment (security).
That's kind of what I'd be worried about with these as well. That said, normally you would get something like WD Purple drives for recording I think. I'm not sure if these enterprise drives are actually intended for recording. 5 year warranty sounds nice, but... having to replace a drive just sucks, 5 years or not. I think these would be great for setting up a new NAS with RAID 6 or something. I guess finding some old motherboard with 8 sata ports lying around, and then for $800 you would have an 84TB raid 6 array?

Thanks for this, in for 4 of the 10TB. The coupon works for the 10TB as well, knocking it down to $62.99, so $6.30/TB.

The coupon only showed up once I signed into Ebay and appears to be tied to the account. Good for one time use only, expires June 10, 2024. 10% off entire purchase.
Nice. Someone on SD posted the code of YUSPGINTDM77PD7M

Does seem like getting a coupon code is hit or miss, and also likely tied to accounts. Shrug.

That's pretty appealing. 10TB is too low for me to jump on despite the price, but 14TB would be a nice slot in.

That's kind of what I'd be worried about with these as well. That said, normally you would get something like WD Purple drives for recording I think. I'm not sure if these enterprise drives are actually intended for recording. 5 year warranty sounds nice, but... having to replace a drive just sucks, 5 years or not. I think these would be great for setting up a new NAS with RAID 6 or something. I guess finding some old motherboard with 8 sata ports lying around, and then for $800 you would have an 84TB raid 6 array?
Theres always a risk with hard drives, new or used. One with 5000 POH could last another 10 years or a brand new one could fail within days. I guess good strat is to do research on statistics, always backup and keep a cold spare or two on hand for a raid. Yeah replacing drives sucks but I guess thats life.

Edit: on that note - (again not promoting this seller at all) there could be weight in taking the risk with an untested new drive, or one that has proof in the pudding of lasting for 5 years in a data center.

Last edited:
I thought I lost access to the coupon conditions after using it, but turns out I still had it in a browser window. This is the text from that window: (the end date was June 10, 2024)

Who's eligible for the Coupon?
Only invited, registered eBay users who can see the coupon on eBay are eligible. The coupon is linked to your eBay User ID and can only be used for purchases made using your account with the same User ID. The transactions must be completed with the eBay User ID specified in the invitation email in order to redeem the coupon voucher.
How to redeem your Coupon:
  1. Shop for eligible items in the eBay Refurbished condition. (See below for exclusions).
  2. Enter the Coupon code in the redemption code field. (See My eBay for your unique, one-time use code).
  3. Pay for your item by 11:59PM Pacific Time on the coupon end date.
Terms & Conditions:
This Coupon is a 10% discount, on qualifying eBay Refurbished item purchases, valid from the date you receive the coupon until 11:59 PM Pacific Time on the end date. $25 minimum purchase of eligible items required. The Coupon discount is capped at a maximum value of $250. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of eligible items within the eBay Refurbished condition purchased on ebay.com. Eligible items exclude warranties and protection plans, as well as items from the Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, Vehicles in eBay Motors, and Real Estate categories. Coupon must be used within a single transaction (and can include multiple eligible items), while supplies last. Coupon does not apply to auction-style listings when AutoPay is in effect.
Max one redemption per user. Only eBay users registered on ebay.com, with an address located in the United States are eligible for the Coupon. Any unused difference between the discount amount, as shown on the Coupon, and the purchase price of an item(s) in a single transaction (or cart) will be forfeited.
Coupon is funded by eBay; Coupon is subject to U.S. laws, void where prohibited, not redeemable for cash, has no face value, and cannot be combined with any other Coupon, or when paying with PayPal Credit Easy Payments, escrow or Gift Cards. eBay may cancel, amend, or revoke the Coupon at any time including in response to fraudulent activity.

Thank you, this could be helpful in clearing up the use of coupons for this (or other ebay listings)

There's an uninformed idiot in every thread. Or a troll.
My take on it is such: Said poster has actually made some good posts over the years. If you want to troll or be trolled take it to genmay as if you so much as burp or fart in there its to be expected. Its different when posting in a category where people might consider spending their hard earned money.

My take on it is such: Said poster has actually made some good posts over the years. If you want to troll or be trolled take it to genmay as if you so much as burp or fart in there its to be expected. Its different when posting in a category where people might consider spending their hard earned money.
Now if JTS was on that list...

;-)

Also said 14TB drives have 512mb cache vs 256 with the 10TB drives. Kinda wish I didnt jump the guns on the 10TB model. Oh well. Considering I got the coupon $63 for an enterprise 10TB drive with a warranty, dont feel like I got burned or anything.

Also said 14TB drives have 512mb cache vs 256 with the 10TB drives. Kinda wish I didnt jump the guns on the 10TB model. Oh well. Considering I got the coupon $63 for an enterprise 10TB drive with a warranty, dont feel like I got burned or anything.
Eh, it depends on your needs. I doubt the cache difference makes any real difference anyway.

I was looking to build two RAID 1 pairs. 4x of the 10TB is $252. 4x of the 14TB would have been $428 - I didn't want to spend that much and don't really need the extra space.

ETA: One of the reasons I jumped on this is when I looked at the drives in my MythTV server, the "young" ones were 10 years old and I've also got a pair of 13 year olds and a 15 year old Hitachi HDT721010SLA360. These ages are power on hours. Thought it was good to retire them and I'll save some power to boot. MythTV server will go from nine drives to two.

Also, $252 was impulse buy, $428 not so much.

Last edited:
Eh, it depends on your needs. I doubt the cache difference makes any real difference anyway.

I was looking to build two RAID 1 pairs. 4x of the 10TB is $252. 4x of the 14TB would have been $428 - I didn't want to spend that much and don't really need the extra space.

ETA: One of the reasons I jumped on this is when I looked at the drives in my MythTV server, the "young" ones were 10 years old and I've also got a pair of 13 year olds and a 15 year old Hitachi HDT721010SLA360. These ages are power on hours. Thought it was good to retire them and I'll save some power to boot. MythTV server will go from nine drives to two.

Also, $252 was impulse buy, $428 not so much.
Yeah, depends on your needs for sure. I had an 8x 4TB raid6 (26TB) of toshiba drives for many years, 0 problems. Ran from an areca somthing er other 8 port. Its in storage now. I was proud of that baby, was the real deal. raid6 or not that sucker did sip up some juice.

My drives should come in today, Ill test them and report.

Edit: I have it in storage as a cold backup. These GHD sales have me contemplating revamping it.

Last edited:
Well I got my two drives, have to say Im a little disapointed. Ironic that Im the one that posted this (not that other people didnt know about GHD) and my username of hardware_failure.

One of the 2 drives is bad. I know about the "power disable mode" 3.3v on pin 3 of the sata power connector, will say its nice that they provide documentation and a cable for it.

But - drive 1 randomly spins up and spins down, and wont format past RAW. Tried multiple enclosures and direct to 2 differnt physical machines. Super bummer.

Drive 2 works perfetly fine. Took all night for a deep scan but it checks out 100% clean.

They are abit loud, even for a semi-modern drive. Has a deep hum and "clunks" every few secods. Its plenty fast tho.

Ill either get a repacement or refund but thats an unfortunate time drag.

That's disappointing. I should have my 4 on Tuesday.
Make sure you do a through testing, at least ghd will refund/replace at no cost. Doing a data dump to drive 2 for the full 10tb (or 9.whatever after formatting), 7 hrs remaining, no problems yet. I have my raid and nas but thats not for what I had these intendend.

I guess I over stated the noise, its really not that bad and you have to be close to the machine to notice it. Suppose its a matter of application and finickyness.

Well I got my two drives, have to say Im a little disapointed. Ironic that Im the one that posted this (not that other people didnt know about GHD) and my username of hardware_failure.

One of the 2 drives is bad. I know about the "power disable mode" 3.3v on pin 3 of the sata power connector, will say its nice that they provide documentation and a cable for it.

But - drive 1 randomly spins up and spins down, and wont format past RAW. Tried multiple enclosures and direct to 2 differnt physical machines. Super bummer.

Drive 2 works perfetly fine. Took all night for a deep scan but it checks out 100% clean.

They are abit loud, even for a semi-modern drive. Has a deep hum and "clunks" every few secods. Its plenty fast tho.

Sorry to hear man. I am guessing they're just letting users be the test dummies. 90% will be just fine and they pocket the profits. The ones that have issues they'll just gladly take a swap out and trash that drive. Kinda sucks.

Sorry to hear man. I am guessing they're just letting users be the test dummies. 90% will be just fine and they pocket the profits. The ones that have issues they'll just gladly take a swap out and trash that drive. Kinda sucks.
Sounds about right. Guess Ill figure out what is to process tomorrow with the new business day. Im not mad, sh!t like this happens. If anything its a reminder in both humility and how important redundancy and backups are, which is the whole point of me getting some more drives.

That's what I run in my unraid box + a cold spare.

1717997319148.png

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Sounds about right. Guess Ill figure out what is to process tomorrow with the new business day. Im not mad, sh!t like this happens. If anything its a reminder in both humility and how important redundancy and backups are, which is the whole point of me getting some more drives.
RMA is quick and simple, I had one die a month later, they replaced it and it's been perfect.

Bummer. How was the packaging? Any way that the drive was damaged because of shipping?

And enterprise drives are built more 'heavy duty' so they make sounds. And they're beefy sounds because of the beefy guts. Desktop drives are like silent mice, but so is their strength. ;)

Did you also buy enterprise drives? Or no? Surprised you needed to deal with the Power Disable mode. I bought a 16TB Enterprise drive and hoping I do not need to do that for it to work in my NAS.

Did you also buy enterprise drives? Or no? Surprised you needed to deal with the Power Disable mode. I bought a 16TB Enterprise drive and hoping I do not need to do that for it to work in my NAS.
Yes, said drives on original post, HGST Ultrastar 10TB SATA HUH721010ALE601. They are a bit old but they are enterprise drives. I did not need to deal with the power disable mode / use the cable, just mentioned it in that I tried it while grabbing at straws wondering what was wrong with the first drive. The 2nd one works fine in an enclosure and direct in a modern system without it.

Bummer. How was the packaging? Any way that the drive was damaged because of shipping?

And enterprise drives are built more 'heavy duty' so they make sounds. And they're beefy sounds because of the beefy guts. Desktop drives are like silent mice, but so is their strength. ;)
Consumer drives are rarely 7200rpm anymore, that makes a difference for sure. If ghd had really quiet slightly slower consumer drives for the same price id prolly opt for those.

Packaging was decent, didnt take a pic. Drives were sealed in static bags (not open or zip locked, they must just heat seal them and cut the bags) and wrapped in thick bubble wrap. No plastic clamshell.

I find it highly unlikely the drive was damaged in shipping, rather possibly bad quality control in swapping them out. Doesnt take long to wipe a HD, takes alot longer to deep test it. Tho I find it odd that I had these problems and wouldnt expect it to do the same with their processing. Not trying to bad mouth, maybe just a result of emphasis on time/volume. Shurg, guess Ill never know.

Got an RMA pre-paid shipping label via USPS. I like that they do USPS vs UPS in that can just leave it out for the mailman vs scheduling a pickup or having to drop it off. Ironically USPS is alot faster than UPS, my priority mail pagakges get to family from California to the east coast in 2 days.

I will also say that when I get a drive ghd, I will occasionally get a drive where when I do test it, it simply will not spin up at all. At one point, it took me three RMA's before I got a working drive. But once I did, I did not have any other issues.

They are very good about swapping them out. Just feel that they might not test very well before shipping out to the consumer.

Someone ran across failures in the 14TB SAS deal as well, which makes me think these are being tested in some third world nation where labor is cheap and then just palletized and freighted over for distribution. If the price is cheap enough, a 10-15% doa rate will be something that a distribution company can absorb. Really curious about this business model now...

Someone ran across failures in the 14TB SAS deal as well, which makes me think these are being tested in some third world nation where labor is cheap and then just palletized and freighted over for distribution. If the price is cheap enough, a 10-15% doa rate will be something that a distribution company can absorb. Really curious about this business model now...
I'm curious on how they are packed. Drives not packed correctly have a very high probability of outright failure at power up or dying very prematurely. They should be packed like you're shipping eggs!

I'm curious on how they are packed. Drives not packed correctly have a very high probability of outright failure at power up or dying very prematurely. They should be packed like you're shipping eggs!
I agree and that's why I was curious how it was packed. I think most drives die this way vs any other.

The 14 TB SAS drives I received had first-class packaging. Mine both work.

A full test reading such a drive takes more than 24 hours.

The 14 TB SAS drives I received had first-class packaging. Mine both work.

A full test reading such a drive takes more than 24 hours.
I have to admit that the packing was actually quite decent. When properly powered off HDD heads are parked. I think they are more resliant in shipping than some might think. While powered on, Ive read the analogy that a HDD head above a disk is the equivelnt of an F16 jet flying at mach2 10 feet above the ground.

I suspect this to be more the case, but since I have only made one purchace I guess I dont have much of a pool to make a reliable assement.

Well my 4 showed up a day early. I think they were packed pretty well, perhaps it could have been better but it was much better than the classic Newegg style of throw a hard drive into an oversize box and ship it!

All four had six years of power on hours and 20, 29, 44, and 25 power ups. So not a lot of power cycles for the age. They look flawless and brand new. No vibration. All were blank. Just a quick test power up in windows and checked the smart data. All show good smart.

They were each inside of a sealed ESD bag and wrapped in bubble wrap. Then each wrapped drive was stacked in the box with more bubble wrap at the bottom, between the pairs and at the top.

Unboxing pics attached.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
Nice unboxing pics / update. Mine were packed exactly the same (tho I wouldnt say "no" vibration when fired up wink wink)

USPS picked up my RMA drive earlier and hopefully wont be too long till a working replacement shows up. Again its disappointing to have to RMA a "new" purchace but the fact that I got a label very early am on the first business day and USPS has it going back the exact same day is Id say better than average.

I just had to requote this a 2nd time as the more I think about it, the more I think you hit the nail on the head.

I just had to requote this a 2nd time as the more I think about it, the more I think you hit the nail on the head.
It good to know I might be on the right track. It only dawned on me as I recalled my own experience with high doas when I had an auto parts distribution where some parts were high doas like that. We didn't get them all the time, but we could eat them if the price was cheap enough (these weren't though so we stopped buying from the high-doa supplier). But if they were as cheap as the 'pizza box' civic radiators that were $25 our cost that we sold for $100 retail, yeah we could have eaten a few if we were bankrolling on the rest.

Back