Dead Space vs The Witcher for the same price-- which should i buy?

jbz7890

Gawd
Dead Space and The Witcher are both on Steam for very low prices -- $10 and $13, respectively.

I love both shooters and RPG's, and I'm torn between these two games.

Could anyone offer a recommendation?

Thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Witcher, but I'm wary of its being a foreign game. Is it filled with the lousy translations and poor voice acting that often come with foreign games?

I'm leaning towards the Witcher, but I'm wary of its being a foreign game. Is it filled with the lousy translations and poor voice acting that often come with foreign games?

The voice acting is excellent in the witcher.

Is dead space still a buggy POS on PC?

I found it completely unplayable the last time I tried

The Witcher Enhanced Edition is superb. It was completely reworked. The voice acting, character animations including more emotion expression, dialogue, skins of NPCs and monsters were all redone to make the game experience that much more exciting and immersive.

But they are both so cheap...lol get both!

Good choice on the witcher, the whole thing was a class act, and in the uk version the voice acting was the best I have heard. Not one mockney accent anywhere. Unlike Crysis for instance.

I have tremendous respect for this developer. After they sold a few copies of the game and developed good cash flow they went back and IMPROVE it whole scale and released it for FREE to people who had purchased it (i.,e they redid a lot of the translations).

Anyways the game is well done and rather long; good value with developers who care about the quality of their work.

If for no other reason that alone should be motivation to support them (in addition to being a kick ass game).

The voice acting is excellent in the witcher.

You mean like Mirror's Edge, and Battlefield 1942 (and BF2), and Assassin's Creed, and Crysis, and Call of Juarez (and CoJ2) and many many many other games...?

You mean like Mirror's Edge, and Battlefield 1942 (and BF2), and Assassin's Creed, and Crysis, and Call of Juarez (and CoJ2) and many many many other games...?

You are listing ginormous budget titles that really can't directly be compared with the developers of the Witcher.

If either game is buggy, it is with out a doubt The Witcher. I never had a game crash more times on me than The Witcher. Also it's optimized to run only on a one cpu core! My frame rates were completely unacceptable with a gtx 280! As much as I liked playing The Witcher I have to go with Dead Space on this one. It never crashed, ran smooth and was a blast to play. The only thing is you HAVE to play it with the a xbox 360 controller, the PC controls are terrible.

If either game is buggy, it is with out a doubt The Witcher. I never had a game crash more times on me than The Witcher. Also it's optimized to run only on a one cpu core! My frame rates were completely unacceptable with a gtx 280! As much as I liked playing The Witcher I have to go with Dead Space on this one. It never crashed, ran smooth and was a blast to play. The only thing is you HAVE to play it with the a xbox 360 controller, the PC controls are terrible.
seriously? if the frame rates were unacceptable with a gtx 280, then either
a. you have too high expectations
b. the rest of your computer is ancient
c. .....

really... I played it just fine on a 8800gts when it first came out. this thread is making me consider loading it up again... great game indeed,

Honestly, it really depends on what you like. I have both of these games and never finished the Witcher. Not because it is bad or anything, it just ain't my thing (I have the attention span of a mosquito). Although the controls are a little wonky in DeadSpace, I really enjoyed the game.... there is really nothing else out there quite like it.

If you are into RPGs, by all means go for the Witcher - it is very good. If you like a little mindless blasting and are into survival horror, get DS. Like some OP said, you really should go for both if you can get them cheap!

The Witcher was an amazing game, I never experienced any crashes, and with a gtx 260 my frame rate was perfect at 1680x1050 with maxed settings.

Isn't there a sequel in the works? I hope so.

You are listing ginormous budget titles that really can't directly be compared with the developers of the Witcher.

The Witcher was high-budget enough to have a pretty aggressive and successful marketing campaign, and to receive a great deal of attention from mainstream gaming press even before its release.

It runs great on my computer. No lag or long loading times. AND it is multithreaded. I just looked at the back of the box to confirm this. ;). It's the Enhanced Edition.

I just bought the Witcher a few weeks ago and it's pretty good. I had to download the latest patch, however. It kept saying "Please Insert Original Disc" and it was there. The new patch got rid of the need for a disc too :D. Wouldn't have to worry about that through Steam though.

You've probably already bought the Witch?! :D

I'm hoping The Witcher gets an even steeper sale price point, if not I'll pick it up at the end of the entire sale.

I must have had the wrong game, because I hated the Witcher. I waited to get it and when I did, I lated 20min before I turned and never looked back. Its a shame because I like to give most games a full run, but it was one of the only games that I coudlnt stand.
Dead Space however was excellent

I've got The Witcher on my wish list, but I'm not buying any non-deal of the day games until the last day of sales to make sure I don't get screwed over.

I say get the Witcher. Make sure it can be patched to "enhanced edition" (1.4) and "Director's Cut" (1.5). Also, if you'le like me and you like to follow voice acting in games in their native tongue, switch it to Polish. The English VA isn't bad either, though.

Maybe it's because I had the older version, but whenever I was in the swamp while playing The Witcher my game really slowed down a lot. My computer isn't ancient at all.

I have a wireless 360 controller but have never used it on my PC. Worthwhile to get a receiver for Dead Space?

Both. Both games are superb. Very different styles of course, but both are definitely worth your time, especially at the prices they're at now. The controls in DS are just fine. You have to disable V-Sync in the game, and enable it and (and if you like it, triple buffering,) in your driver control panel. Then everything works fine. It's a known bug, but the workaround fixes it just fine. The voice acting in The Witcher is great like others have said, (not bad in Dead Space either.) You really have to get past the first area of the Witcher to really start enjoying it. The opening area isn't bad, but the game picks up when you can start moving around a bit.

There is still input lag when forcing vsync from the control panel with triple buffering. It's less than with in-game vsync but it's still freaking annoying.

Back