[DEAD] SMOKING HOT! Canon Powershot SX520 HS (Refurb) $90 shipped!

Also, best to stock up on a couple of extra batteries:

2x 1300mah batteries for under $8.50 shipped from a US seller with top rated status:

2pack NB-6LH NB-6L Battery for Canon Powershot D10 S95 SD1300 SX500 IS SX260 HS

Or for the ultimate in battery life, 2x Vivitar 1700mah batteries + extra charger for under $15:

2 Pcs NB-6LH Battery for Canon PowerShot SX260 SX500 SX510 SX530 SX700 + Charger
Thanks for sharing. I havent ordered from ebay in 10 years or so though for no particular reason. I'll see if i can find these on amazon. Also need to grab a cable of some sort I assume. Maybe a bigger memory card as well.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I still haven't received a shipping notice so hopefully my order didn't get cancelled. Thanks for links to the batteries NoxTek.

Thanks for sharing. I havent ordered from ebay in 10 years or so though for no particular reason. I'll see if i can find these on amazon. Also need to grab a cable of some sort I assume. Maybe a bigger memory card as well.

Amazon.com : Vivitar NB-6L / NB-6LH Ultra High Capacity 1700mAH Li-ion Batteries for Select Canon DSLR Cameras : Digital Camera Batteries : Camera & Photo

$14 on sale, PRIME eligible. :)

As for a cable, it's just a run of the mill mini-USB like Canon has always used. If you don't have one laying around already then they can be had for like a buck or two. Example on Amazon for $6 w/ PRIME:

http://www.amazon.com/CableWholesal...ds=mini+usb+cable&refinements=p_85:2470955011

Probably even less shipped from an Ebay seller... or you could always use an SD card reader.

And yes, definitely grab an SD card. The included 4GB one will be an on starter for pictures, but you'll definitely want something bigger. The camera can handle virtually any size SD, SDHC, or SDXC card.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, as of right now the SX520 HS is back in stock for $89.99.... grab it before it goes out of stock again!

I just got my shipping notice for the camera itself. I guess the camera and the card are indeed going out individually. Seems wasteful but whatever!

My package arrived today and had my daughter open it up as I'm at the office. It was indeed just the SD card. Apparently camera will ship separately as I have only received one shipping notice and that was for the card that was delivered today.

I called Canon yesterday about why the memory card was shipping by itself. Turns out they're in two separate warehouses. I think the camera was in Virginia? Or was that the card. I don't remember. But the other one was somewhere else. So that's why you're receiving two separate shipping notices. To do it as one they would have to ship one of them to the other warehouse and then ship both to you at the same time. That would be truly wasteful.

Yay! I received shipping notice, but only for the camera. I guess the memory card will be arriving later.

Just received my shipping notice for the camera. SD card arrived in one day so I'll have to see how long for the camera to arrive.

Just got Shipping Confirmation with the notification - "Full Shipment: All of your items will ship together." Will check weight once the information uploads to verify.

Just got Shipping Confirmation with the notification - "Full Shipment: All of your items will ship together." Will check weight once the information uploads to verify.

Mine said the same. Look at the order details on the actual shipment and you will most likely see the card or the camera. Not both together. My card arrived yesterday and my camera just shipped today.

I ordered shortly after they were back in stock. Why not, I have more expensive stuff but this will give me something to really dork around with and not care if I drop it in a lake on accident.

The memory card reports as shipped but no the camera yet.

Good deal but OOS. Which is honestly a good thing, as I'm always tempted to buy things I didn't previously express a need for, lol!

Received the memory card today, camera shipped. Gonna pick up the battery and charger above^^.

OK, I have my shipping info for the camera and it's on it's way. Ordered the 2x batteries and charger from ebay. This should be a solid upgrade from my Canon SD11000 Elph, it's still solid but getting long in the tooth. What's a good memory card upgrade? My ELPH has 8gb which has been plenty even with the videos. Probably upgrade to at least 16 or 32GB. How important is the speed of the SD card for the SX520?

OK, I have my shipping info for the camera and it's on it's way. Ordered the 2x batteries and charger from ebay. This should be a solid upgrade from my Canon SD11000 Elph, it's still solid but getting long in the tooth. What's a good memory card upgrade? My ELPH has 8gb which has been plenty even with the videos. Probably upgrade to at least 16 or 32GB. How important is the speed of the SD card for the SX520?

Technically you'll want at least a card that specifies a class 6 speed rating, but SD cards are so cheap I would grab a class 10. Pay little attention to UHS Speed Class ratings as the SX520 (and most other Canon cameras) don't use the UHS data bus. Most of what you'll find will be UHS Class 1 certified anyway, along with their traditional legacy speed class.

Again, SD cards are so cheap I'd grab at least a 32GB if not a 64GB. :)

Technically you'll want at least a card that specifies a class 6 speed rating, but SD cards are so cheap I would grab a class 10. Pay little attention to UHS Speed Class ratings as the SX520 (and most other Canon cameras) don't use the UHS data bus. Most of what you'll find will be UHS Class 1 certified anyway, along with their traditional legacy speed class.

Again, SD cards are so cheap I'd grab at least a 32GB if not a 64GB. :)

256 GB for $79 or 512 GB for $288 (y)
...and has the word Elite in the name.
Amazon.com: PNY Elite Performance 256 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/Sec Flash Card (P-SDX256U395-GE): Computers & Accessories

Wirecutter recommends the Samsung Pro Plus (10 Year Warranty)
Samsung 64GB PRO+ UHS-I SDXC U3 Memory Card MB-SD64D/AM B&H

and
SanDisk Extreme Pro
Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme PRO SDSDXPA-064G-X46 SDXC Flash Memory Card with up to 95MB/s: Electronics

as their "Best SD Cards"

Edit: Added Wirecutter Recommendations

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Good deal but OOS. Which is honestly a good thing, as I'm always tempted to buy things I didn't previously express a need for, lol!

Haha, me too. Honestly if you don't have a specific need before opening this forum then it is the the sole reason why you're here to buy something you don't need, but at a great price!

^^^^ Thanks for the recommendations.... I went "cheap" and picked up a 64GB GSkill SDXC (UHS-I / Class 10 )card on sale at the egg for under $20 shipped. G.SKILL 64GB Secure Digital Extended Capacity (SDXC) Flash Card Model FF-SDXC64GN-U1 - Newegg.com

Looks like it's gettin 60MB reads and 32MB writes. If it turns out to be a pig I'll stuff it into the ELF and get another with better performance.
Thanks for this, with newegg's promo code on it's page, it came out to about $14.

I was considering getting this but missed the deal both times. :(

Hope it comes back in stock.

EDIT: Looks like the deal ends today so probably not.

Last edited:
Even though these are still out of stock, I notice that the price has changed to $140. :(

Dang it, can't believe I missed it. I seen this the day the OP put it up and forgot to grab one after work that day. :arghh:

Mine said the same. Look at the order details on the actual shipment and you will most likely see the card or the camera. Not both together. My card arrived yesterday and my camera just shipped today.

Just got updated shipping information with 2 separate tracking numbers so it seems SD Card is shipping from IL and the camera from VA.

Hi guys.

I know next to nothing about cameras. My wife is trying to take pics of our kids basketball/volleyball games. Everything is very blurry when she takes the pics. I do slightly better, so there is a technique issue, but I feel we are failing on our settings. Using a Nikon D40. Would one of these be easier/better to use? I know they are OOS now, but they have the SX400 in stock. Should I wait for the better cameras to come back in stock? I want to buy something for her for her B day coming up in March.
Canon PowerShot SX400 IS Black Refurbished | Canon Online Store

No viewfinder kills it for me. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

Does Canons indoors flash white balance still lean towards too much yellow, or have they finally fixed that ?

Hi guys.

I know next to nothing about cameras. My wife is trying to take pics of our kids basketball/volleyball games. Everything is very blurry when she takes the pics. I do slightly better, so there is a technique issue, but I feel we are failing on our settings. Using a Nikon D40. Would one of these be easier/better to use? I know they are OOS now, but they have the SX400 in stock. Should I wait for the better cameras to come back in stock? I want to buy something for her for her B day coming up in March.
Canon PowerShot SX400 IS Black Refurbished | Canon Online Store

That's actually sort of a tough call... normally a DSLR would be hands down a better choice than any prosumer bridge camera, however the D40 is an almost 10+ year old DSLR with a 6 megapizel CCD sensor. Still, your blurry pictures are going to be more a matter of settings. If it's motion blur then you guys need to concentrate on mastering ISO and exposure settings. If it's overall blurry then you'll need to either check out the autofocus settings (if it has them) or get better at manually focusing.

No doubt a point and shoot like the SX400 you mentioned would be much easier to use, and the long zoom is so much fun. I just hate saying one way or another because sure enough as soon as I recommended it the DSLR snobs would be in here calling me an idiot. :D

No viewfinder kills it for me. Otherwise I'd be all over it.

Does Canons indoors flash white balance still lean towards too much yellow, or have they finally fixed that ?

I've never noticed that before with any of the Canon cameras that I've owned, but then again I absolutely loathe taking pictures with flash and will do my absolute best to raise exposure or whatever I can do to use natural light before I resort to flash. Yeah, there are some situations where you just have to use flash but you'd be surprised what you can do with ambient light and a few tweaks to the settings.

Anyway, if the SX50 ever comes back in stock it's a fantastic camera for the $150 refurb. It's got a few more bells and whistles than the SX520 HS including a viewfinder, articulating LCD screen, and a longer zoom. :)

That's actually sort of a tough call... normally a DSLR would be hands down a better choice than any prosumer bridge camera, however the D40 is an almost 10+ year old DSLR with a 6 megapizel CCD sensor. Still, your blurry pictures are going to be more a matter of settings. If it's motion blur then you guys need to concentrate on mastering ISO and exposure settings. If it's overall blurry then you'll need to either check out the autofocus settings (if it has them) or get better at manually focusing.

No doubt a point and shoot like the SX400 you mentioned would be much easier to use, and the long zoom is so much fun. I just hate saying one way or another because sure enough as soon as I recommended it the DSLR snobs would be in here calling me an idiot. :D

thx for the reply. Yeah I'm sure it's mostly us just not understanding all the settings and maybe some age of the camera. I may pick up that camera for her to use, and see if it's any better. thx

Just thought I'd update and let everyone know I got my camera today. Arrived extremely well packed and double boxed in non-retail packaging. Camera and all accessories look like brand new, not a blemish or mark to be found anywhere. Haven't powered it up yet but I have no reason to believe it won't work... battery is charging now. :D

The SX50 HS still shows as $150 but OOS. Waiting to see what happens when they get more in, I've been looking for a cheap but good camera.

Mine arrives in a few hours. Card and camera were shipped separate.

Mine just arrived. Looks perfect. Came double boxed just like NoxTek. Camera, neck strap, battery, charger, and manual was included. Camera looks to be in new condition. Works great.

Back