Dead Rising 3 shows up in Steam database.

Interesting...2 was a lot of fun, but I heard they changed a lot in 3 and it sucks now.

Interesting...2 was a lot of fun, but I heard they changed a lot in 3 and it sucks now.

Where'd ya hear that? 3 was pretty great, better than 2 imo. The only thing holding it back on the XB1 in my opinion was technical limitations because even that game was a bit too much for "next-gen" to handle, should be no problem for PC though. I did hear that the DLCs sucked though.

Dead Rising 3 isn't as fun for me because it ditched a lot of the ridiculousness and arcade feeling of the first two. It got too serious with itself, and that just turned it into another boring zombie game for me.

YMMV, of course.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer has been making a few noises about wanting to support PC gaming more...maybe some ports of third-party Xbox One exclusives are on the way?

Where'd ya hear that? 3 was pretty great, better than 2 imo. The only thing holding it back on the XB1 in my opinion was technical limitations because even that game was a bit too much for "next-gen" to handle, should be no problem for PC though. I did hear that the DLCs sucked though.

Dead Rising 3 isn't as fun for me because it ditched a lot of the ridiculousness and arcade feeling of the first two. It got too serious with itself, and that just turned it into another boring zombie game for me.

YMMV, of course.
I did hear hints of it being a bit too serious considering the traditional (goofy) nature of the series but as long as the price is right then I think I'm going to let them sell it to me as soon as it's offered.

I've never played the XB1 version but I can easily imagine the frustration coming from the technical limitations. I played the DR2 DLC (Case: 0) on 360 but bought the full game on PC and the difference in framerate and loading times was huge. Those still seem to be issues even on the XB1 (maybe not the loading) so I'm definitely looking forward to playing this game on PC. Maybe they'll be generous and include the DLC in the PC release.

Come to think of it, the Case: 0 game was on the bleedin' 360 HDD since it was downloaded from Live and the loading still sucked. Ouch.

It'd be real nice if they could find a way to get the original on the PC. That and Gears were the only games on the 360 I wanted to play.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer has been making a few noises about wanting to support PC gaming more...maybe some ports of third-party Xbox One exclusives are on the way?

Don't hold your breath. Every year Microsoft makes some PR statement about 'embracing PC gaming" blah blah blah but nothing actually happens or changes, and then they continue to only care about Xboxen.

Only reason MS seems to be saying anything about PC gaming now is because they might actually grasp that the seeds Valve is quietly planting - in what has the long-term potential to be a paradigm shift in PC gaming- is something they shouldn't underestimate.

Last edited:
Don't hold your breath. Every year Microsoft makes some PR statement about 'embracing PC gaming" blah blah blah but nothing actually happens or changes, and then they continue to only care about Xboxen.

Only reason MS seems to be saying anything about PC gaming now is because they might actually grasp that the seeds Valve is quietly planting - in what has the long-term potential to be a paradigm shift in PC gaming- is something they shouldn't underestimate.

That and MS' gaming division is now being led by someone who doesn't completely have his head up his own ass.

Wow, and trailer says 'summer', so they've been working on it for a while if it's going to be released within the next ~60 days. I'll have to get into some co-op action.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/dead-...-ups-most-probably-do-not-care-enough-for-pc/

As ‘quantumnerd’ – a Dead Rising 3 developer – wrote on NeoGAF:

“The main problem with our engine is that it’s custom and in-house but we don’t have tons of resources (we make only one game series). And DR3 was developed over a generation transition to boot. All those factors together mean that we can get games out the door and design them mostly how we like, but the code incurs technical debt. So stuff like this happens when something like 60FPS isn’t considered in advance, but the engine is too hard to change– you have to basically rewrite large components, then push out extra QA. I’m guessing the higher-ups don’t think PC is enough of a priority for an expensive drive like that. I’d fix it myself, but I get terrified whenever I get into the entrenched code for the core of anything.”

Yeah, that's flippin' stupid but we'll see how it works out. Since they're doing the 30FPS crap, I'll buy it if I can get it for less than $40. Worst case scenario, it's majorly effed up when running at 60FPS, a la Need for Speed, best case scenario, there are minimal issues like Dead Space. Dead Space runs at 30FPS but seems to have a linear amount of issues depending on how high the framerate gets. I run DS at 60FPS and sometimes body parts flap around wildly but it's rare enough to not take away from the game.

Also, this is a bit of a disappointment since Capcom had been doing so well with their PC ports. The newer Resident Evil 4 port is a bit wonky as far as audio goes and it has some animation issues at 60FPS and then this DR3 bombshell. I don't get it. I mean, I know that the new RE4 port wasn't something they thoroughly worked on so I understand it having problems, but this DR3 30FPS stuff is just pure laziness.

The game looked fun when my friend played it on the XB1. Hopefully the port won't have horrible performance issues that would kill the experience.

Yeah, with all the E3 announcements last week, my steam wish-list has had several additions recently.

I can't wait to try DR3 on PC - loved DR2 (played a good 50+ hours and still haven’t actually beaten the game yet), and I'm hoping DR3 will be more and better of the same.

I have heard they added some really weird game mechanics to the XB1 version - like using the always-on-can't-be-disabled microphone system to sense if you're making noises in the physical room where you're playing, and if you yell really loud (or your phone rings, i dunno) the zombies in game will hear you and start swarming toward your position. Sounds mildly interesting but possibly incredibly annoying. Since we on PC have the option of just unplugging our microphones, I'm guessing things like that will have the option of being disabled. Seems like there were some other interesting features related to the multiplayer, but I don't remember what all they were.

So can someone who played the console version more give us a run-down on what all interesting technology features were added to DR3 for XB1 that weren't in DR2 for PC or 360?

Dead Rising was a great series, however there is one thing that really annoyed me about the whole thing... the fact that you were on a time limit with EVERYTHING in the game. Did they change that with 3? Are you still having to constantly check what time it is to complete quests on time?

Yeah, with all the E3 announcements last week, my steam wish-list has had several additions recently.

I can't wait to try DR3 on PC - loved DR2 (played a good 50+ hours and still haven’t actually beaten the game yet), and I'm hoping DR3 will be more and better of the same.

I have heard they added some really weird game mechanics to the XB1 version - like using the always-on-can't-be-disabled microphone system to sense if you're making noises in the physical room where you're playing, and if you yell really loud (or your phone rings, i dunno) the zombies in game will hear you and start swarming toward your position. Sounds mildly interesting but possibly incredibly annoying. Since we on PC have the option of just unplugging our microphones, I'm guessing things like that will have the option of being disabled. Seems like there were some other interesting features related to the multiplayer, but I don't remember what all they were.

So can someone who played the console version more give us a run-down on what all interesting technology features were added to DR3 for XB1 that weren't in DR2 for PC or 360?
Haven't played it on XB1 but Capcom did say that one of the missions in DR3 that involved using the XB1 SmartGlass feature has been removed from the PC version so I wonder if that means that the microphone feature was removed.

I have it the Xb1 and found it to be ridiculously fun. The weapons and sheer number of on screen zombies and mowing them down was great. What wasn't were the constant frame rate dips. Hope it isn't a unoptimized port though. Will probably pick it up when it goes on discount at some point.

Back