Dead Island worth $20?

Tudz

Supreme [H]ardness
Title says it all, its currently on sale at GreenManGaming...

http://www.greenmangaming.com/promo/halftermhorrors/
You can pick up any of these ghoulish games for 33% off when you use voucher HALFT-ERMHO-RRORS !

Is it worth it for $20?

I was thinking of getting it and just straight away installing a couple of mods like the Romero mod and/or more zombies with lower weapon degradation.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128844
http://www.moddb.com/games/dead-island/addons/wardrop

Did they ever patch or support that game worth a damn? It had some potential.

It has been cheaper than that, I think I gave $15 for it around Christmas time. Personally, I didn't really care for it, but there are quite a few folks who really liked it. So, I guess to answer your question, no I wouldn't give $20 for it.

I got it for $20 and its def. worth it. I did some of the tweaks for graphics and it looks great, no issues with any quests. I modded it from the start, since I like guns and in the stock game guns suck.

One of the few games I finished this year. Worth $20 fo sho.

It has some issues but overall it's pretty fun. Anyone try the Ryder DLC? Worth it?

Played with some friends. Not my type of game. It was just too slow paced IMO.

From a pricing perspective this is will likely be a <$15 game when then next set of sales come around.

ya, wait a couple of months hoping for easter sales to save $5.... good luck on that.

Play it with friends. Makes the game about 100 times better.

Can you mod and still play with friends easily enough? I don't want to get VAC banned over it or anything.

I have actually played the game for a few minutes with a friend, only got up to the first driving section, the game feels like it almost needs weapon mods and the low FOV gave me a headache, so I'll most definitely need some mods.

Chances are if you didn't feel the urgent need to play it before this, then there really is no rush to buy it now. It is already a relatively dated game and lost its new release player base.

Of course if you have nothing else to do and want something to play now, then that is a different consideration.

Yeah, well I'm sure it was less than $15 at some stage during the GMG new year's sale, but I didn't buy it because I was playing other games at the time and already had a backlog. But the past few days I've watched far too many zombie movies and am kinda in the mood for a zombie bashing game. :)

I have actually played the game for a few minutes with a friend, only got up to the first driving section, the game feels like it almost needs weapon mods and the low FOV gave me a headache, so I'll most definitely need some mods.

This is the only mod I consider essential, it's a configurator that allows you to easily set the fov, remove tinting and desaturation, remove motion blur, etc...

http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-a...nd-apply-tweaks-without-having-to-edit-files/

One of the best Zombie games I'v ever played. Was really interesting. Story line was actually kind of lame, but the concept made me go on. The second half the game felt....Painful. But over all I would give it a 7/10. Worth the play, worth the buy. It got patched and fixed. But the end parts of the game are very challenging without a friend.

i'd wait for a steam summer sale or for it to drop more unless you've cleared up most of your backlog

$15 is decent. I'd say it will be $10 again soon enough.

I'll probably pick up the Ryder DLC when it goes on sale.

My main problem with the game (and I believe it was never fixed to this day) is that there is a game-breaking bug where thrown items can disappear into the ground or objects for no apparent reason. There was a glitch where you could duplicate items, so it was kind of like a "workaround", using an exploit to combat a bug. Then, they patched out the duping glitch and never fixed items disappearing... :confused: :mad:

It makes using that one character that is a "throwing weapons expert" maddening.

its ok, well right up until you get to the sewers then you will hate the game for the rest of your life.

I played co-op with another person; it was fun.

Same. I played through it twice with different characters. My only gripe was that depending on who joined my game some of our uncompleted quests would disappear. I had to turn off multiplayer and then invite my friend each time we wanted to play.

its ok, well right up until you get to the sewers then you will hate the game for the rest of your life.

Why? I didn't have any issues, then again my guns dealt around 50k damage if I hit the head :D

I am gonna replay it now with the community mod, so headshots only. The only thing I don't like is the crazy jumping :/, and I find that at some spots the money is just too much for what it is (A random corpse with 20k $ on it...yeah...)

I'm boycotting it because their Steam sale was charging $25 in Canada and $20 in the U.S.A.
They were both in USD, all other games I've seen have been the same price in both countries.

Like a borderlands lite, if you liked borderlands you should get this.

x2

it reminded me of borderlands quite a bit.

It's a good game... a little glitchy but there is quite a bit to sink your teeth into. It's absolutely worth $20.00 IMO

Positive comparisons to Borderlands continues to get my attention.

Yea, worth the $20. Played through it at least twice with "friends". I enjoyed this game more than Borderlands.

Spent some time watching some youtube video footage. Geez, this thing looks good. I'd forgotten. I was scared off from all the bug and glitch complaints.

Spent some time watching some youtube video footage. Geez, this thing looks good. I'd forgotten. I was scared off from all the bug and glitch complaints.

I haven't had any bugs or glitches in my playthrough. Just make sure to exit steam after you download the game, start it up again and allow it download the newest patch. Test out the game, and if you have the issues with the sound(weird ripping sound when cutscenes occur) just make sure to verify game cache. Solved all of my issues.

I haven't had any bugs or glitches in my playthrough. Just make sure to exit steam after you download the game, start it up again and allow it download the newest patch. Test out the game, and if you have the issues with the sound(weird ripping sound when cutscenes occur) just make sure to verify game cache. Solved all of my issues.

Noted. I'm tempted to bite.

Oh, ok, since you twisted my arm. ;)

Looking forward to it. :)

Make sure to do the general graphic tweaks first, but save the stock video file first. Then make your own and make a backup just in case, since some of the mods add their own graphic enhancements and most of them aren't as good(The community mod gives you the option to add the guys personal tweaks, they don't look as good as they can if you do it yourself).

I personally think the community mod is the most well rounded one, not the most difficult but also not very easy. My first playthrough was a bit easier, I used the "more gunz more ammo ect.." mod(Don't know the exact name, but its pretty obvious) and the AK47 for everyone mod. Still really fun, now I'm gonna go through with the community mod and maybe next time I'll go for one of those really hard realism mods, although I am guessing its gonna get really hard once you get to the city :(

If you need any help, I can do my best to help you :)

no more patches in the works?...I'd be more tempted if I knew the publisher was continuing to support the game

Why? I didn't have any issues, then again my guns dealt around 50k damage if I hit the head :D

I am gonna replay it now with the community mod, so headshots only. The only thing I don't like is the crazy jumping :/, and I find that at some spots the money is just too much for what it is (A random corpse with 20k $ on it...yeah...)

I dont mean to say the sewers are at all difficult, in point of fact I think they are one of the easiest parts of the game. I mean that its clearly an example of a developer getting lazy and recycling the same level over and over again towards the end of a game. The sewers got old about 3/4's of the way through the first run of them I had to do. The following trips were like finger nails on a black board and made me seriously consider just forgetting about the game rather than finishing it. It was made doubly bad by the fact that this game is supposed to be at least semi open world. How much of the city, beach and in between area's did they just throw away for side quests. Why couldn't they have added 2 or so hours of game play in those area's for the main quest and save me the head ache and boredom of running through the sewers over and over again?

I dont mean to say the sewers are at all difficult, in point of fact I think they are one of the easiest parts of the game. I mean that its clearly an example of a developer getting lazy and recycling the same level over and over again towards the end of a game. The sewers got old about 3/4's of the way through the first run of them I had to do. The following trips were like finger nails on a black board and made me seriously consider just forgetting about the game rather than finishing it. It was made doubly bad by the fact that this game is supposed to be at least semi open world. How much of the city, beach and in between area's did they just throw away for side quests. Why couldn't they have added 2 or so hours of game play in those area's for the main quest and save me the head ache and boredom of running through the sewers over and over again?

Ahh ok, yeah I agree the sewers were kinda lame. I didn't expect much of the sewers though tbh. I just kinda rushed through the city itself anyways, I actually kinda rushed through the entire game, I'm gonna do all the side quests this time. I gotta say though, I was so scared when I got the resort, that place is scary! The city was just kinda like, damnit where are the zombies at :D

I use the dead island helper, but for the graphics you need to do it manually, just open up the Video file in notepad(drag it in :))

video.scr is in the My documents folder right? It says it's a screen saver and I don't even have an option when I right click on it to open it with anything. I did run the game, went into the menus, set some things and exited. Is that sufficient?

Where can I get some guidance on this? Because I'm sure there are options in there that Dead Island Helper doesn't cover.

EDIT: Turn into a .txt document, tweak, and then it turn it back to scr when done?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2101557

Figured it out. :)
And this is the best place to find all your mods http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2106453

But yes, that is the community mod I am talking about.

Great!

EDIT: I can tell I'm going to love this game.

Last edited:
Q-BZ, where did you end up buying the game? The sale at GMG is over now.

Back