Dead Island: Official Announcement Trailer

Dead Island:

- first-person melee combat
- 4-player coop
- weapon customization
- set on an open world tropical island
- RPG elements for character development
- hordes of gruesome zombies

Dead Island combines first-person action with a heavy focus on melee combat, character development and customization of a vast array of weapons. All of these gameplay features are presented in a dark story inspired by classic zombie movies with a gritty and engrossing campaign that can be played with up to 4 players in co-op mode.

Been following this game for a few years now and no its not your average zombie game

They really nailed the lighting and the animation whilst the models didnt look quality enough for cgi

i really hope the game looks like this

Slightly OT. My comments in yellow...

:rolleyes:

i really wish the zombie fad would burn out already. almost every single movie/game that comes out like this is mostly indiscernible from anything previous to it.

zombie movie/game cliches:
  • CDC/government failed intervention
    If government(s) didnt fail, it wouldnt be a pandemic and would just be a slightly worse swine flu. What's scary about that?
  • any non-infected automatically acquire knowledge of heavy weaponry and always get headshots
    Good Point. We're Alive/The Zombie Podcast is more realistic and avoids this cliche
  • U.S. military being completely overwhelmed by brainless, essentially rabid humans
    If the military/armed forces didn't fail, it wouldnt be as dramatic. I would be less survival and more we're in a war zone. No need to be scared; the militarys got this!
  • the hunt for 'the cure' that's always within reach
    Adds tension. No hope movies/tv are boring.
  • cute little girl who looks normal, then turns around and ZOMG how could she be a zombie!?
    Adds emotional attachment, as we hate to see children in gory situations.
  • using excessive gore for shock value, distract you from the cookie cutter storyline
    Eh, we like gore :)
  • small group holed up in shopping center/department store/
    Adds tension. What's scary about a zombie apocalypse if all the zombies are trapped OUTSIDE of the 100-acre resort? No fear when the zombies are not even in earshot
  • protagonists not understanding WTF is going on even though the same scenario has been played out ad nauseam in pop culture
    Very good point. I never get this. One aspect of The Walking Dead I hated. "What happened? Why are they walking like that? Zombies!? I could've never gussed!"

I think most of the cliches are necessary like how war movies always has a significant character dying or focuses on just a small platoon. They are tropes in order to make the story more believable.

-Cool-

Badass trailer. :cool: Game description sounds like fun. But I bet it will just be a shitty console game designed for outdated hardware and look like ass as usual. :(

Regardless of what the game is, that trailer was incredible. There was no way I was not going to finish watching it until the end. I'm definitely curious about that game now. So, I guess their trailer did its job.

While a CGI trailer isn't indicative of outright quality by any means, it did its job. I went from never having heard of this game, to being extremely interested in three minutes.

I'm not the only one apparently, their website is getting absolutely pounded.

That trailer fucking ruled.

If you think otherwise, you're probably a zombie

Trailer was great, I'm excited for the game now, but I won't be pre-ordering or running out to buy it by any means. Need ingame footage, gameplay reviews, etc etc. (A demo...not that there are ever demos anymore).

Would like to see a movie like that though, where's the CG Zombie movies at?

This isn't supposed to be you casual zombie game. From what I read, it's not the "eat this biatch!"/I'm a badass hero over-the-top type where zombies are just cannon fodder. Here it's supposed to be a more 'realistic' representation with more tension and where they are dangerous. Fire arms will be hard to find and therefore it will heavily rely on melee weapons.

Regardless of what the game will actually turn out to be, I'm of those who thought it was amazingly done and moving. Time will tell about the game itself.

P.S. Tired of the cliché zombie movie? Try Jonathan King's Black Sheep!

Very cool. As usual, I'll wait til a review drops before buying. Oh yeah..........bikini zombies....nice touch.

I prefer zombies in Resident Evil because of its storyline, all those Umbrella Corp, William Brikin and stuff

While L4D2 is ok for me gameplay wise, storywise is just meh, if there's any story at all.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I really love this trailer, how it reveals who that little girl is. I really hope this game has a solid story behind it.

I'm all Zombie out :(

My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

Here is what I would like to see is something that captures the tension and drama of The Road.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

The horrific world the father and son find themselves in is one that is plausible; but just as frightening as *zombies* (totally impossible)
But what is notable is that the in game animation has progress so that the characters can express convincing emotion and so evoke emotion in the player. Like a good movie, you feel what they feel.

In The Road the father promises the son that nothing will separate them, they will make it, he promises. But the father is sick, and gets worse (pneumonia).
When the point comes that his strength is spent and he is dying; he has to apologizes to his son that he couldn't keep is promise.
The scene in the movie was gut wrenching emotionally; if you are a father especially.
In this horrific world there are very few children left. And this one is alone now.........

NOW that would make a GREAT game; one that could combine those elements.

I agree, but c'mon, spoiler alert maybe?

Gimme a break. That movie is 3 years old. :rolleyes:
Besides nothing I said gave the plot away.

Just an illustration of what elements I would think would make a winning game; since the industry seems to be tapped out of new ideas.

LIST OF WORN OUT GAME SCENARIOS
1. Zombies..........any shape or form
2. Alien Invasion
3. Elite military on a mission gone wrong.............
4. (add your own)

This is awful.

Over the past 5 years, I can definitely testify that they have been trying and pushing farther and farther toward absolutely unacceptable content. Some developers failed due to pressure, while others later succeeded.

I think of going back to when Half-Life 2 was being made and how they removed children from the game.

This game should be canned.

This is awful.

Over the past 5 years, I can definitely testify that they have been trying and pushing farther and farther toward absolutely unacceptable content. Some developers failed due to pressure, while others later succeeded.

I think of going back to when Half-Life 2 was being made and how they removed children from the game.

On what grounds?

If you don't like it, ignore it. Is it ok to write about kids dying in books? Sing about it in songs? Watch it in movies?

I think we should stop all works of fiction, they may offend someone, somewhere.

I can't wait for the sequel, Dead Island Even Deader than Before.

This is awful.

throw away your computer and stay in church.. The rest of us wil lhave fun watching babies get eaten alive by zombies and laugh our asses off.

lighten up.

incredible trailer.

Someday gameplay will look as good as the cinema cg.

Something about the 'utterly depressing zombie theme' is really captivating.

I am intrigued.

This is awful.

To each their own sensibility. If you find it offending there is nothing wrong with that, but just because you don't like the content does not mean others should deprived from watching/playing/enjoying it.

This is not for kids, sure, but that aside it's just a game.

:rolleyes:

i really wish the zombie fad would burn out already. almost every single movie/game that comes out like this is mostly indiscernible from anything previous to it.

zombie movie/game cliches:
  • CDC/government failed intervention
  • any non-infected automatically acquire knowledge of heavy weaponry and always get headshots
  • U.S. military being completely overwhelmed by brainless, essentially rabid humans
  • the hunt for 'the cure' that's always within reach
  • cute little girl who looks normal, then turns around and ZOMG how could she be a zombie!?
  • using excessive gore for shock value, distract you from the cookie cutter storyline
  • small group holed up in shopping center/department store/
  • protagonists not understanding WTF is going on even though the same scenario has been played out ad nauseam in pop culture

Ehh, I've been a huge of Zombies before they were "cool". I'm sure this fad you're talking about will fade and the true believers..I mean fans will still enjoy them.

Ehh, I've been a huge of Zombies before they were "cool".

I think that's what happened here lately.

Zombies = cool.

Zombies crammed into any game = retarded.

Cowboy game? Add Zombies!
Call of Duty? Add Zombies!

I think, if done right this could be a fun game. Trailer was awesomeness though (the point of the thread) ;)

wow I am late to the party, the trailer for this was probably one of the best I have seen.

I can understand some people not liking this( they have children or are just sensitive to that) but it's a game.If you don't want to see/play it then don't, and move on to other things.

Back