Dead Island - Best Open World Zombie Game Ever?

I think this game is a lot of fun. I'm playing with a 360 controller kicked back on my TV, playing with friends is great. I usually hate fps with a 360 controller, but this game is slow paced enough that it actually works very well...Plus there is some driving that this makes easier aswell.

I don't know when I'll ever come back to this game. I was loving it. Saved, then the next day I loaded up my save and was warped to some city when I had still been at the first tropical region. Shelved it at that point.

I don't know when I'll ever come back to this game. I was loving it. Saved, then the next day I loaded up my save and was warped to some city when I had still been at the first tropical region. Shelved it at that point.

not really a bug, it will warp you to the nearest safehouse based on your currently active mission

This is/was a game I just can't get into. It seems like they love teleporting you around to places you may or may not have been and the quests seem to break a lot.
I played it a little when it first hit, but have no idea if I'll ever go back to it.

Unofficial Patch 1.2.1 fixes:
- Possible to turn voice chat off
- The "weapon throw + backspace" replication bug is gone. You cannot throw weapon and then press backspace to replicate weapon.
- Game is running better, I got 50FPS all the time, now I got 80FPS, with no lags.
- Fixed error when player had plugged in USB headphones and this caused the loud crackling. Also using the usb headphones no longer causes the game to crash to desktop. (For some users)
- Game works offline
- Intros stuttering has been fixed (at least for me)
- Game recovers corrupted saves.
- Removed 30 item stack limit. You can now have for example: one stack of 400 oleander. (So possibly fixed save game corruption due to stack limit)
- Fixed Y-Button on XBOX-Controller to bring up quest details
- Deo bombs stack works properly now
- Fixed crashes in multiplayer when player reach a checkpoint

I got no mods.

I will keep it up to date when I will find more fixes.

THANKS TECHLAND!!! You guys rock!

SAVE GAMES ARE COMPATIBLE!
- Save game works on this update. No need to re-start campaign completely.

I think that also save system works better, because I am carrying a lot of things, and game saves normally. I need to do more investigation here.
Last edited by Eggtooth: Yesterday at 03:48 PM.

New patch for you'll. I'll try it out later today.

Btw it also fixes the Multichannel sound bug too. No more problems with that. I havn't really started to play it, because i want to complete AC : Brotherhood before the next one is released but the game run's great now... I love zombie game, it's way better than Rage imho..

Btw it also fixes the Multichannel sound bug too. No more problems with that. I havn't really started to play it, because i want to complete AC : Brotherhood before the next one is released but the game run's great now... I love zombie game, it's way better than Rage imho..

Cool, that was a big beef with the game for me.. downloading it again now to see if it's any better.

So I decided I would check out the game since I've had it installed for a week or so. Yeah it refuses to launch. The launching screen just keeps flickering off and on......

So I decided I would check out the game since I've had it installed for a week or so. Yeah it refuses to launch. The launching screen just keeps flickering off and on......

Try to verify the install files.

So after the Steam update the game loads. Cool. At least now I can play it, I hope.

Anyone else think the jungle parts were graphically STUNNING? The jungle parts, the thick and highly detailed foliage and trees amazed me, even more so than Crysis.

Anyone else think the jungle parts were graphically STUNNING? The jungle parts, the thick and highly detailed foliage and trees amazed me, even more so than Crysis.

Not me. I don't think any part of the game beyond the gore in the zombie models really looks good. Water effects are decent of course, but the textures and most objects themselves look extremely dated.

I thought it looked pretty good. I look forward to the first DLC.

I haven't touched this game since I tried it the day it was released. I think I am just going to uninstall it.

Oh Crap. What's going on. Something about a patch...and the game is now not loading in Steam. For 3 days it's said "game is not available". Yeah, that's not good.

Good thing I finished it before the patch borked everything. Overall, thought it was a pretty good game. Long as well. Was going to play co op again, but guess the patch screwed things up?

Is that the consensus on why it's not loading?

so the day it was released they released the Xbox code on Steam...and now another new patch breaks the game?...what an absolute disaster of a game...10X worse then Rage...at least Rage is getting better with each patch

I really like the game, but I get super motion sickness while playing. Can't play for more than an hour. :-(

I can't stay interested in game for more then an hour, spend 80% of the time scavenging/repairing. Honestly rather own RAGE, at least it is getting better not worse...

so the day it was released they released the Xbox code on Steam...and now another new patch breaks the game?...what an absolute disaster of a game...10X worse then Rage...at least Rage is getting better with each patch

Rage is a pile of crap with corn in it for extra special hurt.

Last edited:
So the question bears asking...

Is it the Best Open World Zombie game ever?

New 1.3gb patch, probably pre-load for the upcoming Blood Bath DLC,

increased max level from 50-60
crates now open instantly
Kicking now costs stamina
mouse moves more naturally between game menu items
coop now supports enemy level balancing

Last edited:
it's already getting a bit repetitive. I prefer Just Cause 2's repetitiveness due to variety of weapons, vehicles, ability to get across the world fast, large world size, among other things.

Bashing one zombie after another's brain in gets tedius after awhile. Weapons deteriorating extraordinarily fast just to create busywork trying to fix them gets annoying too. Instantly opening crates and luggage with the items automatically taken would help. Adding quicksave would get me to mark out and buy the games. I don't buy games without built in quicksave, which is the most basic function of any PC game. Not adding it suggests not even trying to enhance the game for PC use.

Last edited:
So the question bears asking...

Is it the Best Open World Zombie game ever?

I was starving for a good zombie game since L4D.. Bought a used copy.. After 10 hours a play I was so bored of repetitive gopher missions I blitz the rest of the game just so I could take it back for a refund..

The weapon mod system was neat, the anytime multiplayer was a worthless feature.. Its REALLY good at killing time if thats what you are after.. But in the fun category I give it a 5/10.. L4D single player was more entertaining.

I must agree with you, I thoroughly enjoy this game and the graphics have been some of the best I've seen.

I haven't really played this game in a month. Now they're thinking of making another game before the first one is fixed? Before they even released the Arena DLC for it? Not to mention there's still no mention of the "sorry" gift for day 1 buyers.

The game was fun for awhile (while it worked), but I don't see myself buying anything made by Techland again in the future.

I haven't really played this game in a month. Now they're thinking of making another game before the first one is fixed? Before they even released the Arena DLC for it? Not to mention there's still no mention of the "sorry" gift for day 1 buyers.

The game was fun for awhile (while it worked), but I don't see myself buying anything made by Techland again in the future.

This

really wanted to get Dead Island still havent done so waiting for an awesome steam deal this winter before i do so mostly because DLC hasnt arrived and bugs are still numerous enough to warrant a wait. still games fun as hell played it a bit on 360, but want it on PC for sure.

Actually kind of surprised they released this on schedule.

I guess the make-up gift ended up being the soundtrack. Disappointing, but I guess in the end they kept their word.

Back