Dead Island - Best Open World Zombie Game Ever?

Hmmm I was about to pull the trigger late last night on the GMG deal. Kind of glad I resisted the urge.

I missed the sale but I'm looking forward to this game. I'm pretty sure they will fix all of the issues shortly and hoping they release DLC's to continue the story beyond the current zones.

Looking forward to a few weeks of snafu-reduction and some positive reviews before I buy. If its as least as good as L4D, ill buy it.

According to a dev the patched version of the game should be on Steam sometime today,

http://www.dead-island.com/forums/d...es-digital-release-info-here-2.html#post32321

We deeply regret that it was not possible to make the final patched version of Dead Island available to players at launch in North America.
We apologize for any issues you may have experienced while playing the game, the final patched version will be made available to North American players today.

Other territories are not affected by this situation, the fully patched game will be available on Friday as announced.

I'm a few hours in and really enjoying it so far. I forced 16AF, 8AA, Vsync in the control panel and used the shadow tweaks from this thread,

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2101557

Graphically it looks similar to Farcry 2, not bad overall for an open world game. My only complaint is the 60 FOV, I hope someone comes up with a mod that lets us increase it. Also, the mouse cursor moves really slow in the menus.

Aside from that i haven't experienced any bugs.

Here's to hoping the real version of this game doesn't have that awful consolized weapon switching system.

So I have a headache............

The game was released in some Half-Assed form due to a deadline?

and now the developer is going to patch it up?

I mean come on.........if you aren't ready, don't release the game or at least have the patch ready at launch. This is a giant fail.

I ordered a physical copy from Amazon, can't wait to see what i get in the box today.....a half-asesed XBox 360 version or the real deal????

This is fucking stupid......glad I got this at a discount..........:mad:

I mean come on.........if you aren't ready, don't release the game or at least have the patch ready at launch. This is a giant fail.

I ordered a physical copy from Amazon, can't wait to see what i get in the box today.....a half-asesed XBox 360 version or the real deal????

God forbid a company screws up and then try to make it right by offering a patch within 24 hours!

Pc gamers are such whiners.:rolleyes:

You think you do, but you're actually just raging.

Developer build was accidentally uploaded to Steam.
Crazy I know.
They didn't hire a fortuneteller to tell them they would fuck up. Shit happens.
Wait.. what? You didn't even pre-load it from Steam? Then what are you raging about? Your retail copy should be fine.
You probably paid like 15 dollar or whatever the hell games go by in the US today.

So I was just about to pull the trigger on this sumbiatch until I saw all this talk on "The Big Whoops of 2011"

So if I were to purchase from Amazon now, will the correct version be downloaded from Steam? Did they correct this issue?

I played the game for about 2 solid hours. I didn;t run across any bugs or glitches at all (though the "Y" key thing was kind of funny).

Overall, I had fun with the game, but there are some major annoyances in game design.

First off, the whole thing seems very unpolished. It doesn;t seem like a final build at all.

Now the things that annoy me:
1.) THe HORRENDOUS inventory system and the way you swap weapons. It isn't intuitive. I don't know how many time I picked up a bottle of alcahol, and drinking it instead of swining a weapon, ANY weapon, at an enemy. Then there is the whole clunky way to try to equipe items.. first unequip your current item, then equipe a new one. Left hand, right hand doesn;t seem to make a difference. THe whole thing just stinks.

2.) Weapon degedation. I just spent over $300 to UPGRADE & REPAIR a knife only to have it totally become worthless after 3 zombies. WTF?!

3.) Some of the missions seemed to be half-assed. THe find maggie mission, and the stupid booze mission (get booze to that guy in the bar). First off, everytime I pick up a bottle of alcohol, I have to remember to unequipe so I don't drink it, then there's no clear deleniation to when I finished the quest.

4.) Cannot quick save. Save points are teh suk.

5.) Character voice get old fast after the 118th time you heard him/her say the same thing after evey zombie kill.

What I do like about the game is the graphics except for the shadows. There's a way to bump it up if you edit the video.src file in your documents folder.

I like turtles... i mean zombies. I do like that a bajillion zombies just DON'T appear and run at you at full steam (ala L4D, though I do like L4D series). It gives it a more realistic zombie feel, and a slower pace.

I also like exploring the island, whereas L4D felt like a rail shooter.

Yeah, that was one of my few gripes about the Dead Rising games that I guess carries over to this one...weapon durability. I understand why for balance purposes, but it seems to me like a lead pipe should last longer than a baseball bat or stick...

My roommate was stoked about this game. I am honestly surprised it was released. I didn't expect a release until 2012. Guess that's what happens, unpolished....

I played the game for about 2 solid hours. I didn;t run across any bugs or glitches at all (though the "Y" key thing was kind of funny).

Overall, I had fun with the game, but there are some major annoyances in game design.

First off, the whole thing seems very unpolished. It doesn;t seem like a final build at all.

1.) THe HORRENDOUS inventory system and the way you swap weapons. It isn't intuitive. I don't know how many time I picked up a bottle of alcahol, and drinking it instead of swining a weapon, ANY weapon, at an enemy. Then there is the whole clunky way to try to equipe items.. first unequip your current item, then equipe a new one. Left hand, right hand doesn;t seem to make a difference. THe whole thing just stinks.

2.) Weapon degedation. I just spent over $300 to UPGRADE & REPAIR a knife only to have it totally become worthless after 3 zombies. WTF?!

3.) Some of the missions seemed to be half-assed. THe find maggie mission, and the stupid booze mission (get booze to that guy in the bar). First off, everytime I pick up a bottle of alcohol, I have to remember to unequipe so I don't drink it, then there's no clear deleniation to when I finished the quest.

5.) Character voice get old fast after the 118th time you heard him/her say the same thing after evey zombie kill.

What I do like about the game is the graphics except for the shadows. There's a way to bump it up if you edit the video.src file in your documents folder.

I like turtles... i mean zombies. I do like that a bajillion zombies just DON'T appear and run at you at full steam (ala L4D, though I do like L4D series). It gives it a more realistic zombie feel, and a slower pace.

I also like exploring the island, whereas L4D felt like a rail shooter.

Did you play the dev build?

God forbid a company screws up and then try to make it right by offering a patch within 24 hours!

Pc gamers are such whiners.

They didn't "screw up".....they admitted to releasing a half-assed version of the game, just to meet the deadline. Read post #285 above.
So you think that's fine and dandy?

Wait.. what? You didn't even pre-load it from Steam? Then what are you raging about? Your retail copy should be fine.

The key word here is "should".....wanna bet?

You probably paid like 15 dollar or whatever the hell games go by in the US today.

I am thinking this is one of those games that will improve dramatically in the next month as patches are released. Honestly I was looking forward to this game alot, being much what L4D could have been.

Sure.....15 dollars.........Retail is 49.99........I got 20 dollars off from prior Amazon purchases.........

Last edited:
They didn't "screw up".....they admitted to releasing a half-assed version of the game, just to meet the deadline.

Yep, that's the truth, and it's not fine. An admittedly unfinished game does not warrant the full price tag.

LOL, I wish. It's typically $50-$60 American for most new games.

Yeah well Dead Island is also 50€ on Steam when it should be 35€ to match your 50 dollars. I don't buy anything from Steam however unless it's on sale.

Yeah well Dead Island is also 50€ on Steam when it should be 35€ to match your 50 dollars. I don't buy anything from Steam however unless it's on sale.

I don't blame you.

Put bluntly and it's not just confined to Steam: A lot of you folks outside the USA get screwed big time on pricing and that isn't just confined to videogames, either.

/off topic ;)

Anyways, I'm watching this thread and feeling better about not preordering this thing.

They didn't "screw up".....they admitted to releasing a half-assed version of the game, just to meet the deadline. Read post #285 above.

The key word here is "should".....wanna bet?

So they patched it. What's the fucking problem other than just bitching to bitch?

Haha, yeah, let's just release all games unfinished because they can always be patched. That's obviously the mentality you're on. Good for you, since that's becoming more of a rule than exception.

Well, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I played whatever version was d/l on release date, and yes, I was kind of disappointed.

I'm hoping the patch or new build, or whatever will fix a lot of the game design issues.

I agree with pretty much everything tuksonrider says. It's a pretty fun game, but there are definitely some minor-ish annoyances.

I agree. The inventory system is totes wack and makes it feel even more like a console port. I'd rather just be able to scroll up/down with the mouse wheel to change weapons. As for equipping a new weapon, you don't have to unequip your current weapon. You can just double-click your new one, and the left or right hand will highlight, allowing you to select which hand you want to equip it to. Just a heads up, to save you a few mind-numbing seconds of annoyance.

3.) First off, everytime I pick up a bottle of alcohol, I have to remember to unequipe so I don't drink it, then there's no clear deleniation to when I finished the quest.

Lulz. Same thing keeps happening to me. Alcohol should not be considered a weapon. I figured it would be like the Energy Drinks and be consumed immediately or just go into your inventory to be used later.

100% agree.

SRSLY. I cannot stand listening to the same comment during every single encounter. After the 934624727th time, you'd think your character would realize that THEY ARE ZOMBIES.

Without reading any of the comments in this thread...see if I can nail the problems everyone and myself are having.

The inventory is just plain bad. My god this is bad.

Checkpoints. Really?

Degrading weapons? Really?

HTF you turn off the damn bloom! Everything looks so damn fuzzy!

Did I nail it?

Without reading any of the comments in this thread...see if I can nail the problems everyone and myself are having.

The inventory is just plain bad. My god this is bad.

Checkpoints. Really?

Degrading weapons? Really?

HTF you turn off the damn bloom! Everything looks so damn fuzzy!

Did I nail it?

Just about ;)

So they patched it. What's the fucking problem other than just bitching to bitch?

A 76MB patch to to covert a dev build to final retail?....me thinks not...
Not to mention that the patch that's been deployed has CORRUPTED
save data, resulting in EVERYONE that's been playing since last night
has lost every bit of progress...

Paying end-users have every right to bitch, especially when Techland
just seems to be applying band-aid solutions at this point.

Just a heads up Steam just patched and it wiped out my current save. Think I'll hold off playing any more till it's fully patched up.

Wow, another bargain binner for me! When it's patched up and has some decent mods out it'll be one for me!

Wow, another bargain binner for me! When it's patched up and has some decent mods out it'll be one for me!

I'm with you on this.

Sorry to hear for those that purchased early, I was close yesterday... but ended up getting SpaceMarine.

I hope they get their crap together and fix the major issues quickly so you can enjoy, but looking at the limited early reviews of PC play (which were none from what I could see before last night) seems they knew they had some major PC issues and were hoping to ride the hype... lots of trouble you guys are posting that SHOULD have been caught during a PC beta test...

Consolitis-fricken-developers forgetting how to code for PC or just not caring to do things right. :confused:

A 76MB patch to to covert a dev build to final retail?....me thinks not...
Not to mention that the patch that's been deployed has CORRUPTED
save data, resulting in EVERYONE that's been playing since last night
has lost every bit of progress...

Paying end-users have every right to bitch, especially when Techland
just seems to be applying band-aid solutions at this point.

And if Techland had done nothing about the problem, you would still be bitching.

Well...here goes nothin'. I just bought it for download from Amazon for 39 bux. I had 30 in gift card so I thought...what the hell.

I might regret, but damn it, I'm makin a go of it!

Hey, my hat's off to anyone who gets on the ball and fixes a problem as fast as these guys did.

Sadly, that's more an exception than a norm.

Reviews seem to be floating in the mid to high 70 percentile average range so far.

Last edited:
My god there are a lot of whiny fucking bitches in here.

The game itself, other than a few issues (no quicksave/weapon degradation) is not bad. They fucked up and released a development build, and they're already fixing it on day one. I'd say that's dedication on their part. Yes, the whole thing was a fuckup, but they're fixing it so for all you whiners:

how-about-a-nice-cup-of-shut-the-fu.jpg

My god there are a lot of whiny fucking bitches in here.

The game itself, other than a few issues (no quicksave/weapon degradation) is not bad. They fucked up and released a development build, and they're already fixing it on day one. I'd say that's dedication on their part. Yes, the whole thing was a fuckup, but they're fixing it so for all you whiners:

how-about-a-nice-cup-of-shut-the-fu.jpg

Whining about whining makes you a whiner.

queue the tiny violin...

Just a heads up Steam just patched and it wiped out my current save. Think I'll hold off playing any more till it's fully patched up.

Meh, I think I'm regretting my character choice anyway. I chose the chick for the edged weapon bonuses, but I'm betting that edged weapons will be a lot more rare than blunt ones anyway...

And if Techland had done nothing about the problem, you would still be bitching.

goddamn right...do you even own the game? probably not....

Techland hasn't "done" anything but continue to break the game further...but yet you bitch
about those that own it and are frustrated that yet another dev has failed to deliver as promised???

Back