• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dead HD Warranty Question...

leoftw

Gawd
Joined
Apr 6, 2007
Messages
650
I have a maxtor hard drive I bought in November . I cant find the receipt and I never registered the product. can I still get warranty on it or am I screwed . The warranty is for 5 years btw.
 
Last time I sent a hard drive off for warranty, all they wanted was the serial number (this was with WD). I don't see why Maxtor would be any different since the warranty starts from the manufacture date, not when you bought it.
 
Considering that Seagate and Maxtor are one and the same now, all they need is the S/N off the hard drive. No receipt necessary. I had to RMA back a Seagate drive a couple of months back and that's all they asked for about the drive: the S/N.

So you're not screwed.
 
Just go to the website and check to see if your drive is still under warranty. It most likley is. This is the nice things about hard drives, unlike video cards, you don't have to register within x amount of days to be under warranty.
 
They estimate a warranty start date in their computer. The only time you would need a receipt is if you bought a drive that sat on the shelf for a while and it died during the differential period between when the estimated warranty started and your actual sale date.

Don
 
Back
Top