Dead Ballistix, I want your info :)

ok, so i got my replacement sticks in a few weeks (months?! has it even been that fucking long?) ago, they are CL1117L.N4 - BL 12864Z503.16TF2Y
A very new stepping compared to the last sets i got (the originals i got were merely .16TD). At this point i had no faith whatsoever in these fuckers, so i actually got some pc3200LL Corsair from back in the DAY that's been running in the box that it was in for literally over 2 years. I put that in the box that the ballistix was in when it died, then i put the ballistix in the machine that has been flawless for 2 years with the other RAM. Guess what?! Yep! BOTH new sticks of ballistix are now dead. The machine is an athlon XP 2500+ running at stock speeds, so the chips were actually running pc333 *rolls eyes*, not even 200mhz at loose timings with stock 2.6v. This is in a completely different PC than any of my previous sticks have been used in, totally different mobo, power supply, etc. etc. with the same results. The machine started acting unstable - we shut it off, yanked the ram and they were hot enough that i couldn't keep my hands on them. At 166mhz 3-3-3-8.

I wonder if they're gonna try and keep me from replacing these....again...

2x1GB DDR2-1000 Ballistix Tracers, one stick died after ~5 months of 5-5-5-15 timings, 1000 Mhz, 2.2v. RMA'ed for a new set.

Crucial can suck it up

Bought my 2 x 1gb ddr664 ballistix last year in septembre.... one of the sticks died in August

Called them to RMA and they suggested cross-ship with them charging me $200 and return the ammount once they got my shippment

Package arrived to them but they never returned my $200.. Called the mofo's 5-6 times and I've been promised my money back each time(I've even spoke with a couple of managers)

Last solution is to reverse charge with AMEX

Crucial lost me as customer

I was charged during one of my cross-shipped RMAs (I returned my two sticks separately, as they failed), and I had actually sent it back late, but they said it was okay and I had no trouble reversing the charge once they got my stick in. Didn't take more than a month, how long has it been since you were charged?

I was charged during one of my cross-shipped RMAs (I returned my two sticks separately, as they failed), and I had actually sent it back late, but they said it was okay and I had no trouble reversing the charge once they got my stick in. Didn't take more than a month, how long has it been since you were charged?

4 months man since August

I call them once every 2 weeks only to get the same answer "yes we did receive your shipment and your funds will be refunded 5 to 7 business days"

Crucial sucks

I'd been running 2 X 512 MB sticks of DDR in my old yet trusty ABit for some time now. One stick failed about eight months ago (replaced) and now both sticks are showing single bit errors in consistent memory locations.....with no overclock.

- Batch number - CL1113X.JQ / CL1114M.ZC
- CT part number - 47073

Two 1Gb sticks of Mushkin solved the problem nicely. I'd forgotten how nice solid RAM could be....:p

How long is the warranty on those?
"Lifetime" warranty at the factory. To their credit, I've always had good luck with Crucial's RMA / return process, but I always do the "wait for return" method. I've never done the "pay us now and we'll refund your cash later" method.

lifetime

edit: i was beat. basically they'll take back anything that isn't physically damaged from what i can tell. if you break the stick in half, you may be sol.

and i'm with BBS, the one time i RMA'd something through them, i sent them the kit and then they sent me a new one back

Hey guys,

I haven't posted in awhile, but all the recent video card releases has got me thinking it's time to upgrade again... :)

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that my last set of DDR1 ballistix died after about 2-3 months of use as I, unfortunately, have come to expect. I believe that was my 5th set of running the ram at rated speeds with decent fan coverage. This was about 6 months ago -- as great as Crucial's RMA process and customer service have been about this, I really just got fed up with it and bit the bullet by getting a new set of DDR1 from a different brand to tide me over until my next upgrade.

I'm kind of conflicted as to what I should do with these dead sticks - now that I'm not reliant on them I've been content to let them sit on a shelf for a few months, but I'm thinking I should give it one more shot and see if they'll let me swap them out for some DDR2 sticks or something. On one hand I don't want to feel like I'm exploiting the system, but on the other hand it IS a "lifetime" warranty and I originally spent like $450 bucks on these things. I dunno... :-/

I gave up after crucial started blaming my configuration (even though i had dead sticks across 4 motherboard changes and 3 different power supply configurations) on the issue and became difficult to convince to replace the sticks. I think i'm going to take them out to the range and shoot them; i think a couple 9mm's oughtta fix them up really nice like.

Fuck crucial; i switched to G.skill and have used about 5 sets of their ram in my and in friends PC's without any issues thus far.

I've had 4 pairs of this shit fail on me since early 2006. I have to say that I don't care how good their tech support is, if they keep giving me ram that burns up, what does it matter! I have my last dead pair of crucial ram sitting right here on my desk. I called crucial recently and just argued with them for awhile. I ended up just telling them to F-Off and filed a complaint against them with the BBB.They wanted to give me some of their new cheap ass prone to burning up as well DDR2 Ballistix 2 x 1GB sticks in exchange for my DDR.

Problem is my socket 939 doesn't use DDR2 so what is the point, and if I did have a MB that used DDR2, I wouldn't be using crucial in it, ever. Plus trading my DDR500 ram that I paid $300 for in October 2005 for DDR2 ram that can be had right now for $20 after MIR is just plain a spit in my face.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146023
These are probably a great replacement for the crucial sticks but I really don't want to spend this much on these when i can get some G-Skill DDR2 1066 2 x 2gb sticks for way cheaper,
Still probably the best DDR500 sticks though.

I won't buy anything crucial ever again. the end.

Back