DDR3 or DDR4

Itare

n00b
Guys, I already created a post about what I'm collecting a new PC. I need your advice again. The question is simple: DDR3 or DDR4? Now a bit wider. Friends who more or less understand said that DDR4 now makes no sense to take (too expensive and DDR3 is not too bad at an affordable price). How much more approximately DDR3 will be "in trend"? Maybe it's better to save for ddr 4? thanks for answers

Why on earth would you build a new machine with DDR3?

It immediately limits you to old processors.

And it's slower.

So if you are budget limited, start with 1 stick of 8gb and add more later if needed

If you can live with Haswell or older architecture then DDR3 is your choice. in day to day activities and casual gaming you will not see any difference.

There are a very few Skylake motherboards that do accept DDR3L and DDR3 (will burnout quickly due to high voltages if used) with the lack of a DDR4 option.
However, that option is already 2-3 generations old, and like the others here have stated, DDR3 will lock you into older CPUs and platforms and has been end-of-life for years now, even though new sticks can still be bought.

It always pains me when I need to spend money to upgrade an older system with DDR3 since it won't be able to be used in anything newer, though that could be said for any older memory standard I suppose.

Unless you are in a country where PC parts are crazy expensive and you are sourcing older parts for budget reasons (or getting it for free), there is absolutely no reason to go DDR3 / related parts.

1. DDR4.
2. DDR3 isn't "In Trend". Long Answer: I've done a quick search on ROG (Republic of Gamer) site and couldn't find a LGA 1151 motherboard that uses DDR3.
3. Yes.

If you're building a new computer, you want DDR4.
If you've got parts for free / doing an upgrade / making repairs, buy for what the motherboard supports. DDR3, if that's the case. Consult the motherboard manual for that type of information.

2. DDR3 isn't "In Trend". Long Answer: I've done a quick search on ROG (Republic of Gamer) site and couldn't find a LGA 1151 motherboard that uses DDR3.

There are a few LGA 1151 Skylake systems that do support DDR3/DDR3L:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD7H5EX1988
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD677CC9347

Again, though, make sure to use DDR3L when possible since standard DDR3 will utilize higher voltages and will eventually burn out the CPU and/or motherboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Z170-HD3-DDR3-Motherboard-LGA1151-DDR3-Intel-Z170-ATX/142166587891?hash=item2119c9f9f3:g:W88AAOSw5cNYF50h&_sacat=0&_nkw=z170+ddr3+mobo&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xz170+ddr3+mobo.TRS0.TSS0

I highly suggest you skip over these links and get ddr4. I can understanding wanting to use older memory but that limits you to sandy/ivy bridge e or 6700/7700k on very select boards. Anything AMD used on ddr3 isn't worth salt at this point. Note on this (z170) platform you will have to use ddr3L memory, unless you want said platform to die.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gigabyte-Z170-HD3-DDR3-Motherboard-LGA1151-DDR3-Intel-Z170-ATX/142166587891?hash=item2119c9f9f3:g:W88AAOSw5cNYF50h&_sacat=0&_nkw=z170+ddr3+mobo&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xz170+ddr3+mobo.TRS0.TSS0

I highly suggest you skip over these links and get ddr4. I can understanding wanting to use older memory but that limits you to sandy/ivy bridge e or 6700/7700k on very select boards. Anything AMD used on ddr3 isn't worth salt at this point. Note on this (z170) platform you will have to use ddr3L memory, unless you want said platform to die.
I fully agree.
The links were thrown out there as options, but a DDR4-based system would most certainly be the most recommend choice at this point for the above reasons.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back