DDR3 Command Rate - 1T or 2T

PC_User

Supreme [H]ardness
When manually setting the RAM timings in BIOS, what should I set the "Command Rate" to - 1T or 2T?

What real-world performance will I notice with it set to 1 versus 2? How will this affect system stability when overclocked? System specs are in my signature. Thanks

The more slots you use the harder it is to run 1T. 2T is more stable, 1T is slightly faster (2-3%). 1T requires that you have more expensive ram also. Try it out but if 1T doesn't work I highly doubt it would affect any of your real world performances.

The more slots you use the harder it is to run 1T. 2T is more stable, 1T is slightly faster (2-3%). 1T requires that you have more expensive ram also. Try it out but if 1T doesn't work I highly doubt it would affect any of your real world performances.

I have it set at 1T and it seems to be stable so far. Passed LinX and Intel Burn Test.

LinX and IBT doesnt really stresses the ram and the imc. You need to run prime blend and/or hci memtest to test for their stability.

LinX and IBT doesnt really stresses the ram and the imc. You need to run prime blend and/or hci memtest to test for their stability.

I thought IBT stress test is even more reliable than Prime, especially since it can stress test in a fraction of the time. Ram usage increases to about 90%...

I'll give HCI MemTest a try.

I thought IBT stress test is even more reliable than Prime, especially since it can stress test in a fraction of the time. Ram usage increases to about 90%...

I'll give HCI MemTest a try.

That's true but only for cpu testing. You can also use hci memtest to test all the available ram.

1T is typically ~4-5% faster than the same memory/speeds at 2T if I recall correctly... this was a big topic back when DDR2 was brand new. At least when I was benching my main rig awhile back I had a ~6% delta in 3dmark overall scores (~7% on CPU, and SuperPi) when running 1T vs. 2T. I run my 3x2GB (6GB) DDR3 @ 1560mhz 8-8-8 1T at the moment, going to push for more later when I get a better HSF for my CPU (heat is holding me back on clocks)... I personally wouldn't back down to 2T unless it gave me a good chunk of mhz speed in exchange (greater than 5%). Working on pushing to 1620 at the moment but probably won't be able to until I upgrade my cooling some :D.

1T requires that you have more expensive ram also.

It is also very dependent upon how strong your memory controller is. Just like back in the A64 days when there were a select few memory controllers that could clock 4 sticks of ddr1 really high, and some got stuck at like 220mhz with otherwise identical hardware.

Back