DDR3-2000 - Help

speedy523

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, long story short, im looking into buying a kit of Corsair Dominator GT at DDR3-2000 speeds. The only thing is that they're two different kits, one with timings 8-8-8-24 and the other with 7-8-7-20. The two also have a price difference of $200.

Now the problem is that i dont know a whole lot about memory timings, so are the faster clocks worth the extra price? Also, im looking to get the most out of my next build, so if the tighter timings allow higher oc's and more performance that's a big plus. Well only if they help oc quite a bit higher or provide more stability :)

Thanx in Advance!

anyone? im looking to buy the memory soon, so any help would be appreciated :)

The tighter timings won't help at all. Just go for the cheapest set.

If you look at it like a top fuel dragster, the timing difference is like having 8200 horsepower as opposed to 7800 horsepower. For some people like extreme benchmark guys or equipment junkies, that last little bit of performance is worth it. For others, the $200 is better spent on other aspects of the system.

The tighter timings won't help at all. Just go for the cheapest set.

If you look at it like a top fuel dragster, the timing difference is like having 8200 horsepower as opposed to 7800 horsepower. For some people like extreme benchmark guys or equipment junkies, that last little bit of performance is worth it. For others, the $200 is better spent on other aspects of the system.

ah, thanx for the responses guys :)

but yeah, i guess id rather pick up 12 gigs of the slower timings over 6 gigs of the tighter for just $70 more since im not going to be overclocking with anything like phase change, but still its 2 ghz ram :D

On sort of the same subject, which do you think would have the edge (as slight as it may be)-- the 8 8 8 2000 MHz kit or the 7 8 7 1866 MHz one? I read that the difference is basically negligible? They're priced the same at the Corsair store. I went with the 8 8 8 2000 and it's been treating me good so far in the one week I've had it, but just curious if I should have maybe gone with the lower speed but tighter timings?

On sort of the same subject, which do you think would have the edge (as slight as it may be)-- the 8 8 8 2000 MHz kit or the 7 8 7 1866 MHz one? I read that the difference is basically negligible?

Very negligible difference unless you love synthetic benchmarks.

On sort of the same subject, which do you think would have the edge (as slight as it may be)-- the 8 8 8 2000 MHz kit or the 7 8 7 1866 MHz one? I read that the difference is basically negligible? They're priced the same at the Corsair store. I went with the 8 8 8 2000 and it's been treating me good so far in the one week I've had it, but just curious if I should have maybe gone with the lower speed but tighter timings?

Possibly the same. Try running your 2000 8 8 8 at 1866 7 8 7.

Back