DDR 4

Filter

[H]F Junkie
when is ddr4 coming out? im looking at replacing my 32gig set with a much faster 16gig set.
(socket 2011)

is haswell still ddr3?

what i have found is ddr 4 will be mainstream in skylake and thats set to come out 2015?

Haswell will be DDR3. I'd expect DDR4 to emerge sometime late 2014 to mid 2015 and carry a hefty price tag until it becomes mainstream.

I could swear I heard 2014 with some kind of Haswell server part.
Too lazy to look it up right now.

Right now the speculation is either the 'extreme' haswell or broadwell release will see DDR4 support, so you're looking at 2014 or 2015.

Haswell-E is pretty much all but confirmed to come with DDR4. DDR4 on Broadwell is uncertain but unlikely. Skylake is almost definitely DDR4.

On AMD's side, it might be Excavator, or whatever the successor for the AM3+ socket is.

DDR3 is at it's cheapest, DDR4 will be expensive for the first year it is out, just as DDR was, DDR2 was and DDR3 was, not until more boards come out and DDR4 becomes main stream will it be priced to sell.

High end DDR 3 these days is the Samsung low profiles which is about $80 for 8G i think...

Samsungs are ~$45 for 2x4gb.

The true high-end DDR3 chips are the 1.5v 2000+ mhz Corsair Dominator 8gb sticks.

does having triple channel mean i'm a hipster? if so, i feel cool now

How about all 6 slots filled? Although I really want them to all be filled with 8GB modules. And yes I could use that much ram for my work (medical imaging research).

Last edited:
I can see this thread quickly becoming genmay material with these last few comments. :D

If memory speed doesnt make much difference, then..... what is the difference?

When DDR4 comes out, how much of a difference will there really be?

In theory, it'll double memory bandwidth over DDR3. The biggest determining factor for performance differences is going to be how future CPU memory controllers use the available bandwidth.

when is ddr4 coming out? im looking at replacing my 32gig set with a much faster 16gig set.
(socket 2011)

is haswell still ddr3?

what i have found is ddr 4 will be mainstream in skylake and thats set to come out 2015?

I would just keep what you have now. Besides benchmarks you won't see any difference in switching out your set as long as their clocked 1600MHz or higher. Even going from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz there is a negligible difference in performance.

The money you intend to spend downgrading your memory would be much better invested in an SSD or something else where you'd see an actual performance increase.

In theory, it'll double memory bandwidth over DDR3. The biggest determining factor for performance differences is going to be how future CPU memory controllers use the available bandwidth.

Latency is a big difference as well with higher frequencies (lower access times).

Re: person wanting to go from 32gb to 16gb of "faster" RAM, don't bother... you're looking at, in the VERY few situations it makes a difference, a couple of percent (literally) difference in performance from 1333mhz----->2133mhz speed. You're doing a downgrade by reducing your capacity there.

Latency is a big difference as well with higher frequencies (lower access times).

Re: person wanting to go from 32gb to 16gb of "faster" RAM, don't bother... you're looking at, in the VERY few situations it makes a difference, a couple of percent (literally) difference in performance from 1333mhz----->2133mhz speed. You're doing a downgrade by reducing your capacity there.

Exactly why I bought the much cheaper 1333 RAM instead of 1600+ back when there was a sizeable price difference. I knew I wouldn't be able tell a difference with anything. ;)

Exactly why I bought the much cheaper 1333 RAM instead of 1600+ back when there was a sizeable price difference. I knew I wouldn't be able tell a difference with anything. ;)

But what about having the EPEEN of 2133?! :)

Thats why I bought the 1600 also because I didnt want to pay double the price for a few % if that in benchmarks. I love the samsung low profile ram!

It really depends on future applications and how sensitive they are to memory bandwidth. Most applications are not dependent at all on memory bandwidth and are bottlenecked by the cores. Some do benefit, like RTS games where there are massive amounts of units to keep track of.

But what about having the EPEEN of 2133?! :)

Thats why I bought the 1600 also because I didnt want to pay double the price for a few % if that in benchmarks. I love the samsung low profile ram!

LOL..... :).

As far as the Samsung ram, if yours is the 1.35v 30nm stuff it actually very likely can OC flawlessly to 2133 with a moderate voltage bump. :eek: Not that it's really worth the effort, but if you want to flex that sig rig.... :p.

LOL..... :).

As far as the Samsung ram, if yours is the 1.35v 30nm stuff it actually very likely can OC flawlessly to 2133 with a moderate voltage bump. :eek: Not that it's really worth the effort, but if you want to flex that sig rig.... :p.

Yeah, I bought 4 sticks for my main and 4 for my backup. I have yet to try and OC it, because my systems are stable and work fine. One day I will see about OC my memory.

I would just keep what you have now. Besides benchmarks you won't see any difference in switching out your set as long as their clocked 1600MHz or higher. Even going from 1333Mhz to 1600Mhz there is a negligible difference in performance.

The money you intend to spend downgrading your memory would be much better invested in an SSD or something else where you'd see an actual performance increase.

well i want to get some of the new corsair dominator memory for the looks. plus i think these 4x8gigs sticks are affecting my over clock.

Hmm. Likely won't see mainstream DDR4 til 2015 eh? And here I was hoping we'd see it early 2014 -- I was planning to wait on a new build until it was out but I'm not sure if my current rig will last that long without getting long in the tooth. Another year, sure, another two and a half? Hm.

Hmm. Likely won't see mainstream DDR4 til 2015 eh? And here I was hoping we'd see it early 2014 -- I was planning to wait on a new build until it was out but I'm not sure if my current rig will last that long without getting long in the tooth. Another year, sure, another two and a half? Hm.

There's a reason Haswell-E was delayed until mid 2014.

I reckon so. The last time I looked into it was years ago and I remember thinking it was going to be around 2012 but I'm not surprised it got pushed back. Time to re-evaluate :p

Haswell-E is pretty much all but confirmed to come with DDR4. DDR4 on Broadwell is uncertain but unlikely. Skylake is almost definitely DDR4.

On AMD's side, it might be Excavator, or whatever the successor for the AM3+ socket is.

Sandy-E is basically a Xeon. So Haswell-E being DDR4 would mean Xeons getting DDR4 before desktops. That seems like it will cost an arm and a leg.

Sandy-E is basically a Xeon. So Haswell-E being DDR4 would mean Xeons getting DDR4 before desktops. That seems like it will cost an arm and a leg.

Exactly. Their high end products will get DDR4 before their mainstream products. And if you're going enthusiast, you're already paying a premium.

I'm quite new to this ram thing, but why do we need fast memory? the point is to get enough but what performence you get form fast ram?

I'm quite new to this ram thing, but why do we need fast memory? the point is to get enough but what performence you get form fast ram?

The dirty little secret that everyone knows is that DDR3 1600 is fast enough for pretty much everything for now. I can't think of anything that is limited by RAM speed. It's all either CPU or GPU bound depending on what you're doing.

Massive RTS games seem to benefit from faster RAM, just check out one of our member's testing. But other than that, faster RAM really has limited benefits.

I can't wait for 16GB sticks. need to fill my 8 slots with those for the large panoramas.

16GB unbuffered DDR3 is already out. A single samsung dimm is for sale at newegg. Although with the current price of ~$350 for a single dimm cost will be an issue for most users. Remember these dimms are expensive because they must use 1 GB ( 8 Gbit ) chips instead of the much cheaper 512MB ( 4 Gbit ) chips. Until the supply of these 8 Gbit chips increases (and there is competition) the price will be very high for these compared to the more popular 4 Gbit chips.

Massive RTS games seem to benefit from faster RAM, just check out one of our member's testing. But other than that, faster RAM really has limited benefits.
Thats what I am wondering also. Will DDR4 start at 2133, and if so how would that compare to DDR3 @ 2133?(not to mention price difference)

Back