• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DDL software encoder

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
6,706
Does any one know if there's a DDL or DTS software encoder for gaming?

I know that there's some software SRS and Qsound encoders, but maybe since CPUs have power to spare a DDL/DTS encoder could work.
 
Sure there is, lots of current sound cards have drivers that offer Dolby Digital Live encoding. Even onboard offerings from Realtek now have DDL.

For instance, I've been using the DDL option in the Realtek drivers for my ALC889 onboard audio for a couple of weeks now. It was nice but I actually just switched back to 6 channel analogue today because my Logitech Z5500 was being a total pain in the ass with the optical connection.

It's not specific to gaming, it works transparently. DDL encodes surround audio on-the-fly and sends it to your receiver (or speakers) via a compressed stream encoded and sent over your optical (or coax) digital connection. The game doesn't know any different...
 
Sure there is, lots of current sound cards have drivers that offer Dolby Digital Live encoding. Even onboard offerings from Realtek now have DDL.

I guess OP means a freely available encoder that works with any sound card and any SPDIF output.

I may be possible to hack CMedia or Realtek's implementation to work with any device or something like that, but I have not heard about any other encoder available at this moment.

5 years ago there's was something called Real-Time AC3 encoder, but I don't know at what point of development that project is. Most likely it is dead as the cost of development exceeds the cost of the cheapest CMedia card with DDL output.
Here's the link - http://www.hardwareheaven.com/gener...ocnexk-released-realtime-5-1-ac3-encoder.html
 
I dunno about for gaming, but for videos, FFDShow lets you encode its audio output as AC3 (Dolby Digital).
 
I guess OP means a freely available encoder that works with any sound card and any SPDIF output.

I may be possible to hack CMedia or Realtek's implementation to work with any device or something like that, but I have not heard about any other encoder available at this moment.

5 years ago there's was something called Real-Time AC3 encoder, but I don't know at what point of development that project is. Most likely it is dead as the cost of development exceeds the cost of the cheapest CMedia card with DDL output.
Here's the link - http://www.hardwareheaven.com/gener...ocnexk-released-realtime-5-1-ac3-encoder.html

Exactly, I meant something like the AC3 filter but that would work with games.

I heard about a Realtek DDL hack a couple of years ago, but apparently it wasn't worth it.

The AC3 encoder you mention was for Creative labs sound cards. Audigy and later IIRC. I think the project is dead, besides I don't think it would work on Win7 64bit
 
Exactly, I meant something like the AC3 filter but that would work with games.

I heard about a Realtek DDL hack a couple of years ago, but apparently it wasn't worth it.

The AC3 encoder you mention was for Creative labs sound cards. Audigy and later IIRC. I think the project is dead, besides I don't think it would work on Win7 64bit

What sound card are you using?
 
Back
Top