DDC pump - Petra Top necessity ??

Well it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and if I am then I apologize. :) It is my understanding that this only works with certain MB's. My MB doesn't have this capability and I have been told my CPU would burn up. Any truth to this?

The thermal protection used to be part of the motherboard. Intel CPUs have had some kind of thermal protection since the Coppermine PIII days, but the Athlons didn't get it until the Palomino core and even then it was hardly 100% effective. Modern processors from both AMD and Intel should be nearly impossible to fry even in the absence of a cooling system, but few people are fool enough to try it. What should happen is either a lockup and shutdown, or excessive CPU throttling. Also motherboards currently have their own thermal protection in addition to that of the processor.

The thermal protection used to be part of the motherboard. Intel CPUs have had some kind of thermal protection since the Coppermine PIII days, but the Athlons didn't get it until the Palomino core and even then it was hardly 100% effective. Modern processors from both AMD and Intel should be nearly impossible to fry even in the absence of a cooling system, but few people are fool enough to try it. What should happen is either a lockup and shutdown, or excessive CPU throttling. Also motherboards currently have their own thermal protection in addition to that of the processor.

When I upgrade to an Opteron I intend to find out by turning on my computer with no heatsink attached. I expect a screwed CPU, but I will report whatever happens. My A8N-SLI Deluxe board doesn't have that thermal protection built into the board.

Couple of things:

1) Regardless if you're going 3/8" ID tubing or 1/2" ID tubing, I'd get the top regardless as the top provides performance benefits by eliminating the 90 bend at the inlet that comes in its default configuration.

2) Maximum TDP of an overclocked Quad is 227W.

3) 8800GTX's have finally been measure to dump roughly 125W worth of heat in its stock form. This was measured by the folks at Swiftech.

4) http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151955
Folks like these are what makes XS so great. They put their money where their mouth is, create crazy builds, but are also obsessive compulsive enough to conduct tests.

Nikhsub1 has also recently finished a round of tests on the best performing blocks on the market. I applaud the folks at XS for their dedication in conducting tests, especially ones that take weeks. The results are quite intriguing: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151781

4) http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151955
Folks like these are what makes XS so great. They put their money where their mouth is, create crazy builds, but are also obsessive compulsive enough to conduct tests.

And will you be replacing the CPU for the guy who has an Athlon XP? I just replaced mine about two months ago and I still imagine there are many still out there being used.

Nikhsub1 has also recently finished a round of tests on the best performing blocks on the market. I applaud the folks at XS for their dedication in conducting tests, especially ones that take weeks. The results are quite intriguing: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151781

Unfortunately the only items tested are those that people at XS fawn over like high flow.

When I upgrade to an Opteron I intend to find out by turning on my computer with no heatsink attached. I expect a screwed CPU, but I will report whatever happens. My A8N-SLI Deluxe board doesn't have that thermal protection built into the board.

That's odd. I've seen older socket A boards have the protection built in.

Couple of things:

2) Maximum TDP of an overclocked Quad is 227W.

3) 8800GTX's have finally been measure to dump roughly 125W worth of heat in its stock form. This was measured by the folks at Swiftech.

I'd like some hard evidence showing that a overclocked quad core CPU can get that hot. I just don't think it does. Secondly, I would think the 8800GTX would put out slightly more heat than that.

I'd like some hard evidence showing that a overclocked quad core CPU can get that hot. I just don't think it does. Secondly, I would think the 8800GTX would put out slightly more heat than that.

I agree, I doubt this will go that high unless we are talking about 3.5 -4.0 GHz. I believe a better number for a average overclocking would be 150-175W as suggested by a few XS members.

I agree, I doubt this will go that high unless we are talking about 3.5 -4.0 GHz. I believe a better number for a average overclocking would be 150-175W as suggested by a few XS members.

150-175watts seems reasonable, I just can't believe that a overclocked quad could actually almost double it's TDP overclocked.

These figures were measured by the guys at Swiftech, take it as you may. They wanted to the real numbers rather than the estimated TDP numbers being thrown around. Take it as you may.

But Xilikon is correct, this was for a 3.6 GHz overclock at 1.5vcore.

Interesting enough, this site estimates roughly the same, when entering in the same values for a 100% TDP Q6600 at the same overclocked settings: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

These figures were measured by the guys at Swiftech, take it as you may. They wanted to the real numbers rather than the estimated TDP numbers being thrown around. Take it as you may.

But Xilikon is correct, this was for a 3.6 GHz overclock at 1.5vcore.

Interesting enough, this site estimates roughly the same, when entering in the same values for a 100% TDP Q6600 at the same overclocked settings: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Yes, I just saw the comment from Gabe of Swiftech about this and he indeed measured it directly, not estimated. I see now that I should be looking at 200-220w with my overclocking goals (conservative with high vcore around 1.5v).

Yes, I just saw the comment from Gabe of Swiftech about this and he indeed measured it directly, not estimated. I see now that I should be looking at 200-220w with my overclocking goals (conservative with high vcore around 1.5v).

It's always good to have this information handy. If I had known the more accurate measurement of the 8800GTX's in advance, I'd have gone with 2 loops instead of 3 on my main system.

I had to disable it to water cool. Otherwise it wouldn't start because it thought the fan wasn't working.

Plug any of your case fans into the CPU fan header then. It's what I did back in the day to keep that feature enabled. If you've already purchased the DDC with the AC power adjust, just plug the RPM cable into the CPU header.

Plug any of your case fans into the CPU fan header then. It's what I did back in the day to keep that feature enabled. If you've already purchased the DDC with the AC power adjust, just plug the RPM cable into the CPU header.

Thanks for the idea :) However, my current board lets me ditch that stuff in the BIOS. If my water temp ever goes over 50 C or there is less than 50 LPH the whole system shuts down through the Aquaero.

Please, I need some advice. I've got, in one of my E6600 rigs, a MCR220 rad with other Swiftek stuff (MCP350, Apogee GT, 3/8" tubes, etc).

What I'd like an opinion on : Does it sound like a MCR320 rad would be sufficient to cool a mildly OC'ed Q6600 (probably B3 stepping, for 24/7 folding)? I, like many people, am considering getting a Q6600 after tomorrow (today"s T minus 1). I know this is an old, boring, frequently asked question, but would a MCP350 or MCP355 (eventually with the Petras top) be sufficient for a cpu cooling only loop for the quad? (or should I go with some type of D5 with 1/2"?, I like 3/8")

Oh yeah, which WB? Any recomendations? (a Apogee GTX or a D-Tek FuZion?) I've read where both blocks are pretty good for the quad, plus I'm only OC'ing to 3 GHz (333 FSB) I read the informative post by TN about the WB that was just coming out, would a block like that be kind of a waste for me (only 3 GHz OC') or not?

After you wake up from reading these boring and frequently asked questions any replys would be greatly appreciated. I had a suggestion to see what the MCR220 rad did on the quad, but everythings working so well for me on the E6600 it's on I'm leery about disturbing it. :)

Edit: After reading the informative article by Cathar on the tube size with today's equipment, thanks very much Cathar, I think I'm going to stick with 3/8" tubes if I can.

Please, I need some advice. I've got, in one of my E6600 rigs, a MCR220 rad with other Swiftek stuff (MCP350, Apogee GT, 3/8" tubes, etc).

What I'd like an opinion on : Does it sound like a MCR320 rad would be sufficient to cool a mildly OC'ed Q6600 (probably B3 stepping, for 24/7 folding)? I, like many people, am considering getting a Q6600 after tomorrow (today"s T minus 1). I know this is an old, boring, frequently asked question, but would a MCP350 or MCP355 (eventually with the Petras top) be sufficient for a cpu cooling only loop for the quad? (or should I go with some type of D5 with 1/2"?, I like 3/8")

Oh yeah, which WB? Any recomendations? (a Apogee GTX or a D-Tek FuZion?) I've read where both blocks are pretty good for the quad, plus I'm only OC'ing to 3 GHz (333 FSB) I read the informative post by TN about the WB that was just coming out, would a block like that be kind of a waste for me (only 3 GHz OC') or not?

After you wake up from reading these boring and frequently asked questions any replys would be greatly appreciated. I had a suggestion to see what the MCR220 rad did on the quad, but everythings working so well for me on the E6600 it's on I'm leery about disturbing it. :)

Edit: After reading the informative article by Cathar on the tube size with today's equipment, thanks very much Cathar, I think I'm going to stick with 3/8" tubes if I can.

That radiator will be fine and so will that pump. That radiator is good enough to cool my Q6600 and my GPU's.

That radiator will be fine and so will that pump. That radiator is good enough to cool my Q6600 and my GPU's.

Dan_D, what is the temps you get on the Q6600 and the GPU ? I would like to get those numbers as a ballpark for my own setup with a MCR320.

By the way, I bought a Q6600 at NCIX for 289$ CDN (275$ USD) which is a great price and include a free copy of Auto Assault (doesn't matter but reselling this for 10-20$ will cover the 9$ over 266$ :D).

So what exactly does HardIDCer of the month mean?

[H]ardOCP has a Folding@Home team and I'm part of it. The title I wear here is given each month to one teammate who made a big contribution like putting lots of points, made some nice utilities, helped the community a lot and other reasons. There is currently a poll for the July winner in the Distributed Computing forum here if you are curious what is that :)

This is still related to my topic here because I'm folding for team 33 and my Q6600 will be running 24/7 at full load so I need a robust cooling system to sustain this kind of heat output, not just casual use.

Back