DC Vault

I have my 4890s pushing 900 Mhz and I down-clocked the memory by 25 or 50 Mhz, can't remember which. Thanks. It's fun to watch the points pile up like that. I am probably up to rank 5 and past SazanEyes by now. It really makes me want to buy a used 5870 if I know I can run it in the same system with my 4890s. I saw in another thread where Dookey was thinking of selling one and picking up a Fermi.

Congrats Nitro!

I am still pushing cosmology but my i7 doesnt have enough memory to run 8 units at a time.

I hear you there Eric. Cosmology is a RAM hog thats for sure. I've been running Cosmology all the time when Im not suing my I7 machine. When I am using the machine I suspend the Cosmology project and enable Aqua. Since there are much lower RAM demands it makes the machine much more usable. :)

Then when Im not using the machine then I switch back to Cosmology. Also by default in the preferences BOINC is set to use at most 75% of RAM when the computer is not in use. I changed that value to 90% on my machine. I can usually crunch 8 Cosmology WUs at a time with 4GB of RAM on Windows 7 this way. ;)

I have my 4890s pushing 900 Mhz and I down-clocked the memory by 25 or 50 Mhz, can't remember which. Thanks. It's fun to watch the points pile up like that. I am probably up to rank 5 and past SazanEyes by now. It really makes me want to buy a used 5870 if I know I can run it in the same system with my 4890s. I saw in another thread where Dookey was thinking of selling one and picking up a Fermi.

Razor was running all kinds of ATi cards in his boxen. Maybe if hes still lurking somewhere he can chime in on this. I cant imagine that a 5870 and 2x 4980s wouldnt work in a single box. I think you would be fine. If this ever becomes a reality we would need screenshots of your BOINC queue. :D

I suppose if you were really serious about it I could move my 3870 into the same box as my 4850 and see if that works. If it does a 4980 and 5870 should be cake.

Razor is not active right now but I looked up tr0ach's systems on the boinc site and none of them had mixed generations. He had 3 systems , one with 5800, two with 4700/4800, and one with 2000 series cards, none of them mixed. If it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate the test. I don't have access to any non-4800 series ATI cards right now. I'll toss you a beer when I haul ass by you in a few months.:D

Sure man. No problem. I should have some time this weekend. I'll give it a shot and see what happens. :)

Looks like we are in the top 20 in RAC in Cosmology guys. Nice work. Another 300K-400K and we will catch Ukraine (the #9 DC Vault team). ;)

Impressive work in Cosmolgy. Wow. How much CPU does it take to make 1000 RAC in that project?

with windows vista/7 its no problem running different cards as long as they are not crossfired.. heck i even think its possible in windows xp since they are both ATI cards and can run the same driver set..

Sounds good. Whenever Fermi comes out hopefully I can pick up a 3rd card for my rig. I suppose I'd settle for a 3rd 4890 if the price was right but the 5870 does more crunching for the power it draws.

Impressive work in Cosmolgy. Wow. How much CPU does it take to make 1000 RAC in that project?

1000 RAC? Most dual cores should be able to accomplish this. I have two 2.53Ghz C2Ds that I am running and right now they have about 1100 - 1300 RAC. :)

Oh and to backup what sirmonkey said here its is straight from the project developer (look at the bottom of the thread): http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/forum_thread.php?id=4#6336

They would still do well in BOINC. I still run an old Opteron 170 on BOINC and it still churns through WUs pretty decent.

The WUs on Cosmology can take quite a while on these older CPUs though so I would recommend taking a look at maybe NFS, Enigma, or Docking. The WUs in these projects are shorter and they seem to run a little better on older processors. :)

Trying to make a big push this weekend in Cosmology and Primegrid. (Primegrid for my computers that don't have enough RAM). I am on break right now from college so I got the whole farm up and running(Another quarter down, one more to go:)). I also left my i7 on 24/7 at college while on break. Hopefully, I can make some good points in this next week.

I need to start saving up for a new GPU, Im putting these points out only with CPUs. The other day someone passed me working on either GPUGrid or Milkyway and I never had a chance!

edit:: Anyone want to do a team push for a single project? Call it March Madness?!? haha

Last edited:
No worries Eric. We need all the CPU power we can get. Seems like there are more people running GPUs than CPUs. The CPU only projects are a lot hard to gain ground in! Good to hear your farm is back up to full strength. :)

I would probably be up for a push in a project. I could donate 10+ cores to the "Madness" if we could get some support. Maybe even worthy of a new thread to draw some attention? :D Any suggestions for a project?

Maybe a roll call from the commandos who would be interested?

Metallicafan, Im not sure of a project to focus on. The only two I can think of is either SoB or Cosmology@home. A new thread might work I can create one tomorrow. Which project do you think we should? For SoB I can set up a thread with instructions on how to correctly configure the client.

Well if we want to try and get maximum participation we might want to stick with a BOINC project. Its really easy to setup and lots of people already have it installed.

I was going to suggest Malaria control (cause we have very few points there) but I just read on their website that they are stopping work units as of March 1st for a couple weeks. Eric - what would you think of RCN? We only have 500K points and if we could get to 1M we would jump 16 spots to 37th. There isnt lots of activity in that project so we should be able to keep those spots. Just a thought, I'll keep looking at some more projects to see if there are others we can make big jumps in. Oh yeah - RCN doesnt have large RAM requirements either.

RCN sounds likes a great project to do! Ill create a thread tomorrow and see if we can get some of the commandos out of hiding or gain some more commandos. :)

Sounds good man. Great idea to do make a unified push. As a bonus Ukraine (as of right now) are 7 spots ahead of us in RCN. It will be nice to catch them in another project. :) Think we can get to 1M points by the end of March?

Fine, looking for lurking Commandos, huh? :D

I have to tear down my quad rig tonight to reseat the heatsink and reapply the Arctic Silver, as one core is hitting 170*F, but RCN sounds good - it's one of my lowest projects right now, so it was on my personal list to make a run at anyways! Count me in for 2 cores as my work machine finishes up on it's Primegrid run, 2 more when I get home to switch the home machine over, and 4 more once the quad is up again...

BOINC Question - Is there a better way to force BOINC projects to ONLY use the GPU? I have both Milkyway and Collatz preferences, on their respective websites, set to not use the CPU but my client still fetches CPU work from both of these. I am running the latest 6.10 development code on my clients which is supposed to support this. Any ideas? Thanks.

I set the field "Use CPU" to no on Collatz preferences as linked below and have had no problems at all.
Yeah, that's exactly what I did but it still fetched CPU work. :confused: Little bugger. Oh well, this CPU unit is almost done so I will set it to Allow Work and Update again and we'll see what happens.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did but it still fetched CPU work. :confused: Little bugger. Oh well, this CPU unit is almost done so I will set it to Allow Work and Update again and we'll see what happens.

If it has already fetched CPU it will complete what is in the queue.
BOINC maintains a backlog of WU's so if you lose internet you can keep working

All right, it's been almost a month, and March madness is almost over, so it's time to bump this thread...

So how's this for stat whore hell - I sit down to check email/forums/etc, and notice that I'm at 9,999,570 milkyway points, and I notice 4 WUs waiting to upload, but can't, because THE FREAKNG SERVERS ARE DOWN!!! Stanford has nothing on these guys over here at MW when it comes to server downtime...

I want to see my damn 10M before I go crash for the night, dammit! :D

All right, it's been almost a month, and March madness is almost over, so it's time to bump this thread...

So how's this for stat whore hell - I sit down to check email/forums/etc, and notice that I'm at 9,999,570 milkyway points, and I notice 4 WUs waiting to upload, but can't, because THE FREAKNG SERVERS ARE DOWN!!! Stanford has nothing on these guys over here at MW when it comes to server downtime...

i know how that feeling goes.. but for the amount of WU's they receive and the short amount of time they have had to try and keep up with all those WU's from when they didnt have gpu support to having gpu support they have done a decent job but they still have a bunch of uneducated people running the servers..

Congrats on the 10M MW@home milestone! Thats quite an accomplishment.

Also congrats to Flogge for hitting 8M in Collatz. :)

Razor - Are you still lurking around here. I know you said you were taking sometime off but just havent heard from you in a while man. Stop in and say hi.

For this month I am going to make a [h]ard push for QMC@home.

Got my i7 and two duals on it now. :)

Since Leiden is one of my lowest projects, I'm going to start pushing on that for a bit, to at least push another project to 25K or even 50K, but if I finish that before May's effort, I'll probably come join you on QMC...

Maybe we should just make a new post and go with QMC for the rest of April and then Leiden in May. I think we can lots of Vault points in both projects. If this is OK with you guys I can make a new post tonight advertising the QMC push. I just signed up for QMC just to get an account setup and start running a WU or two. Eric how long are your QMC WUs taking?

metallicafan that would be good if you could post something for april, for QMC my times seem to be a little more than 6 hours. Not to bad overall.

even tho i didnt switch....GPU only here :)

I think it was really good to see a lot of guys come together and tackle a single project.

I suggest that we do this every month.....if not only just to keep it interesting :D

So since I recently have been crushed by GPUs for points on Bonic, I need a good price/points GPU to start looking at. Right now I only have a 8800gts 640. My goal is to switch the 8800gts and put that in my machine at home and buy a new GPU for my dorm to crunch with.

Its been so long since I looked at GPUs I dont know where to start. I am open to either ATI or Nvidia.

Excellent. It would be nice to have another GPU crunching for the Horde. Any ballpark price point you would like to stay in range of? Also will this be a dedicated cruncher or will you be gaming/etc on this card as well?

So since I recently have been crushed by GPUs for points on Bonic, I need a good price/points GPU to start looking at. Right now I only have a 8800gts 640. My goal is to switch the 8800gts and put that in my machine at home and buy a new GPU for my dorm to crunch with.

Its been so long since I looked at GPUs I dont know where to start. I am open to either ATI or Nvidia.

for boinc.. best bang for the buck is the HD 5770 or 5850.. ati cards are still out performing nvidia cards on the majority of boinc projects by a large margin except the ones that only run cuda app's like gpugrid..

For ballpark range about 150 would be best. This is still in the research phase as it won't happen for a while but it would be a dedicated card for Bonic. The 8800gts will become a 24/7 cruncher while the new card would be a crunher during the day due to noise in the dorm room. Also, I was looking at the 5770 but didn't know too much about Ati as I have only bought a nvidia cards in the past.

Yeah I guess it depends a little one what project that you want to run. If you are looking for raw BOINC points then an ATI card would be the way to go. In that price range the 5770 would be a good choice. They can be had for $150-ish. If you wanted to jump up just a little more then a 5830 has a few more stream processors and I would assume in a few months will be able to be had for $200 - $230.

Nvidia cards wont score quite as well but can be ran in other projects like GPUGRID. Collatz and MW have ATI and CUDA clients but the ATI will perform much better.

Nitro is running a 5750 or 5770 and its averaging 84K RAC: http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/hosts_user.php?userid=7150

EDIT: PM me your address and I will send your roommate a pair of earplugs. :D

Back