DC Vault

nitro - So if my math is correct your card is taking about 13-14 min per WU?

flogge - Those are some good times. My 4850 takes about 17 min per WU and will net about 55-60K PPD. It will be interesting to see what these cards will do. :)

I think that will the new APIs and standards F@H will get there with ATI cards. I think you will eventually see some good performance with ATI cards but it will take some programming to get there. There are only about 2 - 3 BOINC projects that are using the ATI cards really well. GPUGRID tried and I think they have found out that the new APIs from AMD just arent mature enough yet to run their app on ATI hardware. Its a work in progress. :)

I think I'm about to fire up some GPUs to maybe melt some of this snow. Are there any issues with the latest NVIDIA 196.xx drivers for Win7 on either F@H or BOINC?

I think I'm about to fire up some GPUs to maybe melt some of this snow. Are there any issues with the latest NVIDIA 196.xx drivers for Win7 on either F@H or BOINC?

Nothing that I know of on F@H, bonic, no clue.

I'm not running any Nvidia cards but I havent heard of any issues with BOINC either. :)

Thanks. I'm going to make one more attempt at getting my triple GTX 295 box working, since others have done it successfully with a patch from NVIDIA.

My 4890s ran out of work. When I started the boinc manager and got the GPUs working it had a bunch of WUs, but I can't see that it downloaded any more work once it finished what it had. The uploads fail more often than they succeed, then it turns on a timer and waits several minutes to try again. How do I get it to go get more work?

Code:
2/10/2010 2:35:59 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Scheduler request failed: Couldn't connect to server
2/10/2010 2:37:00 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
2/10/2010 2:37:00 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Reporting 91 completed tasks, requesting new tasks for GPU
2/10/2010 2:37:21 PM		Fetching configuration file from http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway_gpu/get_project_config.php
2/10/2010 2:37:22 PM		Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
2/10/2010 2:37:23 PM		Internet access OK - project servers may be temporarily down.
2/10/2010 2:37:25 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Scheduler request failed: Couldn't connect to server
2/10/2010 2:38:26 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
2/10/2010 2:38:26 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Reporting 91 completed tasks, requesting new tasks for GPU
2/10/2010 2:38:47 PM		Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
2/10/2010 2:38:49 PM		Internet access OK - project servers may be temporarily down.
2/10/2010 2:38:52 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Scheduler request failed: Couldn't connect to server
2/10/2010 2:40:18 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
2/10/2010 2:40:18 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Reporting 91 completed tasks, requesting new tasks for GPU
2/10/2010 2:40:40 PM		Project communication failed: attempting access to reference site
2/10/2010 2:40:42 PM		Internet access OK - project servers may be temporarily down.
2/10/2010 2:40:43 PM	Collatz Conjecture	Scheduler request failed: Couldn't connect to server

Last edited:
Looks like there was a minor hiccup in the system this AM (first one in quite a long time). Milkyway@home is another popular ATI BOINC project. It seems that MW went down this AM and when that happens usually a ton of people then switch to Collatz until its back up. Its seems high demand might have run Collatz out of work for a little while.

I think its back up now. Click on your project tab and then click on the Collatz project and hit the Update button. Hopefully that will get you some more work. I'll check my boxen when I get home.

I'm at work now, so I can't check it until I get home at 3:00 AM. I also realized about 30 minutes ago that I had not joined [H]ardocp team so I went ahead and did that. Hopefully I will get some new work and knock out some more tonight.

When I got home a couple hours ago both of my cards had gotten more work after the brief shortage this afternoon. :) And judging by your total points in the project I'd say your getting a steady diet of WUs. :D

so if anyones wondering how quick the 5870's are on collatz.. this is from a guy on TPF thats running 2 5870's..

collatz-times-5870.PNG

pretty decent gain from 12 minutes with a 4890 to less then 6 minutes with the 5870.. at least we know collatz scales very well on ATI cards.. i havent payed much attention to the nvidia side of it though..

Ya, It looks like I have been getting some decent production. After it shut down I turned the F@H client back on on GPU1 to finish the WU it had left, but checked pause when done. I think it may still be running because I think I should see more from 2 cards.

If you look at the cost of the card for a certain productivity the 4890 wins very slightly. If you count the cost to support the slot and the power usage the 5870 leaves it in the dust. If I watercool I think I could OC my 4890s some as well. This machine is acting as an HTPC so I don't want to run the fans higher than 50% due to noise.

Wow. Those are some impressive numbers on a 5870! :eek: I gues it makes sense though. My 3870 did 32K points yesterday while my 4850 did 80K points. Seems like AMD is getting great performance increases with each generation of card.

I think it may still be running because I think I should see more from 2 cards.
It will take a little while to start building up points at the beginning. Each Wu is sent to 2 computers and you wont get your credit granted until they both get back to the server. This usually results in lower PPD the first day or two and then pretty consistent PPD.

This stats page only gets updated like 4-6 times per day i think, but it looks like you already have a good amount of points. I would anticipate that you will be seeing 140K - 180K PPD out of your two cards. But like I mentioned above it may take a day or two to before you start seeing that kind of return. :)

The main point is this: Thanks nitro and flogge! This boost in production will help greatly!

Also - Welcome to Cosmology nitro! I just moved my i7 to that this morning so hopefully we can jump up in the ranks of that project!

Since everyone seems to be pushing Cosmology, I'm in. :) Count me for an i7. I have my other computers at home running Primegrid just because I wasn't home long enough to really choose what I wanted to do.

just be careful with cosmology.. if your a person that watches your clients a lot.. because some WU's will act like they are stuck for hours on end.. then they will randomly just finish.. been a while since i ran that project possible they fixed it by now..

Yea the cosmology units take a very long time to complete.

One thing that bugs me about BOINC is that it wont do SMP. I have Dual Xeons in here but instead of crunching a WU really fast it opens 16 WUs and works on them really slow.

I guess the end result is about the same, but it just bugs me

I think I have something like 80-100k points just waiting for validation. I can see how it would take a few days to hit your stride on this system. After spending so much time in F@H it's nice to see the team totals affected that much by my own production.

Yea the cosmology units take a very long time to complete.

One thing that bugs me about BOINC is that it wont do SMP. I have Dual Xeons in here but instead of crunching a WU really fast it opens 16 WUs and works on them really slow.

I guess the end result is about the same, but it just bugs me

Yeah they do take a long time and its probably worth noting that each WU takes quite a bit of RAM to process (probably 250 - 500MB). Although some of the unit finish quicker than others. Cosmology isnt quite as polished as some of the other BOINC projects but its a project that we have a chance to move up a decent amount in. :)

While I would hate to turn you away from Cosmology as you just started, if you are looking for some multithreaded WUs a BOINC project called Aqua@home that has developed new core that will run on multiple threads. I have been running these until last might on my i7. It is just like other BOINC projects (as far as configuration, just attach to the project) but instead of doing 16 WUs at once in your queue, it uses all cores (or at least 8, im not sure above that) on a single WU. They score really well. My i7 was doing anywhere from 10K PPD - 40K PPD (which is a lot for a CPU project).

Its a very interesting transformation for BOINC. Im not sure how many projects will attempt to follow suit but interesting none the less. If you do decide to run a few Aqua WUs let me know if it scales up to 16 cores or if it maxes out at 8. Just curious. :D

I think I have something like 80-100k points just waiting for validation. I can see how it would take a few days to hit your stride on this system. After spending so much time in F@H it's nice to see the team totals affected that much by my own production.

Yeah, GPUs are relatively new to BOINC so a few ATI cards can really make a big difference! Maybe I will have to look at replacing my aging 3870 with a new 5000 series card. ;)

God created ATI cards for the sole purpose of running RC5-72 on them. :D

Welp, I've decided to take my last P4 2.4 uni-proc client off of F@H. Just not worth it anymore.

/end rant before it starts. :D

I'm a bit of an astronomy buff so I've set it up for Milkyway@Home. For some reason I couldn't join team [H]ard|OCP yesterday... There wasn't a "Join Team" link but for some reason today there is. Guess it's because my BOINC account is brand new.

Don't know what kind of performance it'll make, but it's still working for the [H]orde. ;)

rmdashrrootsplat - Thanks for helping out! MW is a good project. I have done a few of their CPU WUs from time to time as well. Pretty stable project.

Hadrien - Nice output from that one card. I tired switching my 3870 over there a week or two back but it would only do about 1500 PPD. My 4850 is only a single slot cooler and I have to crank the fan to run RC5 on that card. Maybe if I get a 5000 series card with a dual slot cooler, then I will pitch in for a while. There is a lot of inactive teams still that we could jump. :)

I've also moved my dual-core laptop over. It's too slow to make the F@H SMP deadlines as I have to power it off and move it around daily. BOINC seems a good place for it as the deadlines are long enough. So right now it's crunching on Cosmology and Einstein.

Just for shits and giggles I put my primary rig on Milkyway and Collatz for a little bit... Wow, my 4870 was cranking out some WU's every few minutes. Wish it could do that on F@H. :(

That is no joke. I moved my 4850 over to RC5-72 (joined the Horde of course once I had a days worth of WUs submittied), and the output is just insane.

Check it out:

http://stats.distributed.net/participant/psummary.php?project_id=8&id=473223

yup it just proves that if you actually make a client thats worth a damn ATI cards perform insanely well.. and actually perform better then nvidia cards most of the time.. if im not mistaken RC5-72, MW, and Collatz all perform better on ATI cards then Nvidia cards.. correct me if im wrong though..

I've also moved my dual-core laptop over. It's too slow to make the F@H SMP deadlines as I have to power it off and move it around daily. BOINC seems a good place for it as the deadlines are long enough. So right now it's crunching on Cosmology and Einstein.

Just for shits and giggles I put my primary rig on Milkyway and Collatz for a little bit... Wow, my 4870 was cranking out some WU's every few minutes. Wish it could do that on F@H. :(

Great! BOINC is pretty much maintenance free so I would imagine it will be a good fit for that laptop. :)

It amazing what some of the ATI cards can do on these projects compared to a single CPU core. I wish I had some extra cash to buy a 5000 series card and see what one of those could do. Maybe with a tax return. :D

Nice job on Cosmology guys! Looks like we will pass one more team in the next day or so and then we have a little climbing to do before we get to another group of teams. Keep up the good work!

Cosmology is a very memory intensive project, on my i7 usually I cannot run all 8 WUs at once. And I thought 6GB of memory would be enough for a while.

Is Collatz out of work?

I cant seem to connect. I keep getting communication deffered. :(

Cosmology is a very memory intensive project, on my i7 usually I cannot run all 8 WUs at once. And I thought 6GB of memory would be enough for a while.

Yea i had to turn off Cosmology because of this. It was killing my F@H BigADV

Is Collatz out of work?

I cant seem to connect. I keep getting communication deffered. :(

According to the status page its up right now but according to this post by the admin they are having some off and on problems with their ISP. if you have access to your machines you could go into preferences and extend the work queue so it queues up more units. :) That is one really nice thing about BOINC, you can load up a couple days worth of work if you wish to do so.

Yea i had to turn off Cosmology because of this. It was killing my F@H BigADV

For anyone looking for a project with very low memory requirements you might give Enigma@home a look. Here is a link to the current stats page. We could easily move past a few teams here, and I think each WU takes about 6K of RAM. :D Pretty light on the RAM requirements. Or sometimes if my machine cant handle doing 8 Cosmology or NFS WUs at a time i let it run Enigma and Cosmology. Then it run the Cosmology units as RAM allows and sprinkles in Engima on the rest of the cores. ;)

How is Lattice doing these days? I remember being top dog on that project for a little while when I bought my first Core i7 rig a year or so ago.

I've never worked on this project, but it looks like a project we could make some progress in. It must be a pretty low scoring project? According to the status page there are ZERO work units available right now so I guess we wont be making much progress. :(

Should surpass another 4 or so teams in Cosmology in the next week. Good work guys! :) Im going to try and add one more C2D for the weekend.

Nice work in QMC and Sztaki Desktop Grid tr0ach!

How much processing power do you have dedicated the Sztaki? It looks like we could really jump a lot of teams there, but it also looks like the scoring might be pretty low. :confused:

Nitro - congrats on hitting 1 million BOINC points! Did you get that OC to work on your ATI card?

Flogge - Congrats on 2 million BOINC points! Those 4980s are really doing well. What kind of core frequency do those have? :D

Nitro - congrats on hitting 1 million BOINC points! Did you get that OC to work on your ATI card?

Flogge - Congrats on 2 million BOINC points! Those 4980s are really doing well. What kind of core frequency do those have? :D

Not really. Couldnt get riva tuner to work at all.

I have everything maxed in ATI overdrive, but i know it can do more.

Congrats Nitro!

I am still pushing cosmology but my i7 doesnt have enough memory to run 8 units at a time.

Back