DC Vault

I attempted to run NPLB on my WHS which failed. Is it something I did or does LLRNET not work on Windows Servers?

Should work under any Windows environment. Can you explain to me when and how it failed?
Did you run it from the batch file? Did it startup and then fail?

I used the 4 core version (since its a core 2 Duo I only used the first 2 exes)

For running I went in changed the names in the txt files and double clicked on the llrnet.exe files. It would start and up show 50% usage of the CPU then quit. I looked in the task manager and it quit again every time. I tried windows XP compatibility mode and it still failed. (I am running the same setup on my main computer with no problems.)

No batch files were used.

hmm.. delete what you have on the server (or move it somewhere out of the way) and try coping your running version over to the server in the exact same place as it is on your running system and delete these files from both directories on the server:
lresults.txt
tosend.txt
workfile.txt
z#######

be sure to run this as an administrator or else you will need to edit the security properties on the main directory that contain everything and give yourself full control over it.

also be sure that it is getting through any firewalls that may be on the server.

let me know what you come up with.

You can also open a command prompt, cd into the directory where llrnet.exe is located and run llrnet and see what error message you might be getting.

My first LL GIMPS task finally completed, and I should be getting credit for 74.4913 GHz-days. That's pretty huge, so we should move up from 122 to 107 in GIMPS. Plus I have three more results that will finish in the next two days.

Nice work Sazan! I have noticed on the Vault that GIMPS seems to fluctuate a lot. Now I know why. A few WUs could gain you quite a few spots! :)

That was a sweet update in the DC-Vault ! Up (982.186675)
Great job SazanEyes on Gimps.

Last edited:
I just noticed that BOINC 6.6 was released earlier this month. I'm going to upgrade one of my machines later today.

hmm BM 6.6.2 seems to be freaking out with these small PPS LLR primegrid projects.. its lagging like a mofo and causing my system to lag everytime each project finishes and starts..

I think im gonna push for SoB until NPLB comes onto the DC-Vault and than do NPLB.

Theres just so much dead weight in alot of the projects that we just don't have the boxen for all of them.

Yikes, the thread fell to page 2. Kinda slow around here.

I've switched my focus to BOINC for right now, but I'll probably start hitting some of the math projects when I get time to investigate them. There are a ton of available points in the math category. I need to start prepping for the Chimp Challenge too.

yeah im prepped and ready for the chimp challange.. been most of my focus lately.. dealing with smp clients and VM's..

yeah im prepped and ready for the chimp challange.. been most of my focus lately.. dealing with smp clients and VM's..

Slacker. :D

Seriously though, I dusted off my VM's and ran them a little bit at the beginning of the month. I'll be ready on the 5th.

Seriously though, I dusted off my VM's and ran them a little bit at the beginning of the month. I'll be ready on the 5th.

I've got 2 1/2 system rebuilds and a bunch of software to install. I'm waiting on two stupid adapter wires :mad:

hey.. i refuse to run the smp client.. only reason im willing to even deal with this piece of junk software is for the chimp challenge.. ive had nothing but problems with the smp client and still am..

and while dealing with all that crap.. im still trying to stay ahead of razor on primegrid.. but looks like he will pass me up later tonight..

hey.. i refuse to run the smp client.. only reason im willing to even deal with this piece of junk software is for the chimp challenge.. ive had nothing but problems with the smp client and still am..

and while dealing with all that crap.. im still trying to stay ahead of razor on primegrid.. but looks like he will pass me up later tonight..
Your OK for now. I pulled off and put a couple cores on SZTAKI and a couple on RCN and the quad is Sieving for SOB and PSP.
But I'll be back soon when you least expect it.:D
Edit: Just don't look behind yourself in Dimes.
devil.gif

Last edited:
Yeah things are looking good in RCN. We should jump another 5 - 7 teams tomorrow and break into the Top 60. Good work guys! :)

Your OK for now. I pulled off and put a couple cores on SZTAKI and a couple on RCN and the quad is Sieving for SOB and PSP.
But I'll be back soon when you least expect it.:D
Edit: Just don't look behind yourself in Dimes.
devil.gif

lol im not even running dimes right now.. my other computer is off and thats the only one that runs it..

We all just got 5k extra points each in Cosmology.
Great time to join the team EricE !!
http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=cos&team=1131

Cosmology News -
"Credit and Time Bound issues
April 28, 2009
A total of 5000 credits have been added to profiles of all active Csomo@home users. This is meant for expired/failed WUs due to project down-time and to compensate for the earlier low credit per WU payment for resource intensive CAMB 2.16 WUs. Also, the time bound for these new WUs has been incresaed from 10 days to 15 days which should be enough to complete crunching them even on machines ~5 years old."

Cosmology News -
April 28, 2009
A total of 5000 credits have been added to profiles of all active Csomo@home users. This is meant for expired/failed WUs due to project down-time and to compensate for the earlier low credit per WU payment for resource intensive CAMB 2.16 WUs. Also, the time bound for these new WUs has been incresaed from 10 days to 15 days which should be enough to complete crunching them even on machines ~5 years old."

Damn, here I thought I was special when I was looking at my numbers this morning. After all the server downtime I said I was done with the project, but this might get me to reconsider. :D

I'll agree with that for the WinSMP client, but the only issue I ever had in the 3 years or so that I've been running LinSMP was self-inflicted and easily solved with an extra case fan pointed at my HDD's.

Good work on sieving, Razor. There seem to be a lot of easy points in those projects.

Good work on sieving, Razor. There seem to be a lot of easy points in those projects.
Thanks SazanEyes. I plan on doing this for a bit, but would like to try my hand at PSP - Proth.
Could you please give some links to which software you use and how to figure out what range to reserve and where to reserve it. Also where to turn in the results would be good.

So far all I can find on it is very confusing and very old post and pages on it, so I don't know if what I read is correct since it's so out dated.
Thanks

Cosmology News -
April 28, 2009

I forgot I even had an account on Cosmology@home. I think I made alot of accounts just to have and see if later I wanted to participate for those DC projects. Well i'll take the free 5000 points :)

Good job on the sieveing as well Razor! 1111 points in one update. Wow!

Cosmology News -
April 28, 2009

Yeah, it looks like we're going to shoot up about 16 places. But talk about gaming the system - the mods.de forum team had 10 people join yesterday, presumably just to get the extra points! http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=cos&team=676 Ironic that a team that currently has 164K pernts gets 205K more for this "glitch", especially since before today only 14 of the 41 had over 1000 pernts, and only ONE MEMBER has done any cruching on the project in the last 28 days... Okay, rant over, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Could you please give some links to which software you use and how to figure out what range to reserve and where to reserve it. Also where to turn in the results would be good.

PSP - Proth, a.k.a. Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP, uses LLRnet and an automated server just like NPLB. If you already have LLRnet installed, you just need to change the server and port in the config file. (Make sure to clear out any existing work from different projects before you do this.) Here's a thread with instructions specific to PSP. I've used both the single-CPU LLRnet client and the quad-core install package with no issues.

The only downside is that the LLRnet GUI doesn't show progress % like it does with NPLB, but if you look at the Console tab, it will show you the current status. The individual WUs also take longer to run -- my 2GHz dual-core Athlon was only completing work every couple days, which is why I switched it over to NPLB. The i7 did a pretty good job of cranking through the PSP WUs, though.

PSP - Proth, a.k.a. Prime Sierpinski Problem - PRP, uses LLRnet and an automated server just like NPLB. If you already have LLRnet installed, you just need to change the server and port in the config file. (Make sure to clear out any existing work from different projects before you do this.) Here's a thread with instructions specific to PSP. I've used both the single-CPU LLRnet client and the quad-core install package with no issues.

The only downside is that the LLRnet GUI doesn't show progress % like it does with NPLB, but if you look at the Console tab, it will show you the current status. The individual WUs also take longer to run -- my 2GHz dual-core Athlon was only completing work every couple days, which is why I switched it over to NPLB. The i7 did a pretty good job of cranking through the PSP WUs, though.
Very cool. Thank you so much. What I thought I had to do was all wrong. Glad I asked someone who knew.
I just copied my NPLB directory and renamed it and did some directory renaming in my .bat file and changed the service names and server and port number in each of the config files and ran it. Worked great. Each one of the four client needed its own turn to get work but they all did so looks like things are up and running.
I'll continue this run here in a few days until then I need to get some other things done first.

I have no idea how I didn't stumble across that thread you gave link to. I swear I read everyone that was out there.
Big time thank you SazanEyes for making that so much easier.
metal.gif

YAY!!!!!!!

this means you kids.. dont go crying to kyle about what goes on in the channel because he doesnt care..
Thats correct - If you don't like what is said in the channel then simply leave.
Kyle specifically said that this channel is not official. Which in turn means that Kyle nor this Forum will be getting involved with what goes on in this channel.
I have a Razor_Bot in there to keep things stable and thats about it.
Have a go at it and enjoy. Anything goes but please play nice.

Just got 3 WUs for SIMAP, so if you want to join the May run, it's time to play!

Very cool. Thank you so much. What I thought I had to do was all wrong. Glad I asked someone who knew.
I just copied my NPLB directory and renamed it and did some directory renaming in my .bat file and changed the service names and server and port number in each of the config files and ran it. Worked great. Each one of the four client needed its own turn to get work but they all did so looks like things are up and running.
I'll continue this run here in a few days until then I need to get some other things done first.

I have no idea how I didn't stumble across that thread you gave link to. I swear I read everyone that was out there.
Big time thank you SazanEyes for making that so much easier.
metal.gif

I followed what you did Razor and am now running PSP Proth. I am only running it on one machine for now but I'll see what points I can get because it is one of the lower point projects for our team. Thank you Razor and SazanEyes!!

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Not this week!
I figure I'll get in 3-4 days of SIMAP before I pause BOINC for the SMP client & CC'09... luckily my parts from newegg will be in tomorrow, so I'll be building my first dedicated box (disguised as a media server) on Saturday, right after I get back from watching Wolverine - gotta have priorities, you know. But I'm finally getting quad power!!!

And it's gonna let me bring my 8600GT back online for the CC! :rolleyes: +1200ppd, woot!

I may have to fire up PSP again as well. One of my boxes is going down, probably tonight, so that I can upgrade from Win7 beta to Win7 RC.

GIMPS tip: if you don't want to get any new work and just want to complete existing queued-up work, under Options - Preferences, set "Days of work to queue up" to 0.

BTW, I think the default is 5, which is pretty large for just TF, so you may want to adjust it.

Back