DC Vault

I finally set up Muon1 last night, and it's easy, just as Razor says. It looks like nitrobass24 got it working too.

Here are our team users. I have about 50K after half a day, so it looks like 100K a day is about right. I'm running on a Phenom II 920 @ standard clock.

I also tried out Collatz on the 8800GS cards, and it's much slower than on ATI. These are pretty slow cards, but still.

I finally set up Muon1 last night, and it's easy, just as Razor says. It looks like nitrobass24 got it working too.

Here are our team users. I have about 50K after half a day, so it looks like 100K a day is about right. I'm running on a Phenom II 920 @ standard clock.

I also tried out Collatz on the 8800GS cards, and it's much slower than on ATI. These are pretty slow cards, but still.

Yea I set it up this morning when i woke up.
I got my dual Xeons running it right now so we shall see how it goes.

its because the 8800GS doesnt have crap for double-precision performance.. its why i quit running my 8800GT's on any boinc projects now that everyone has gone to using it.. it cuts the performance to a 1/3 of what it would be with single precision.. pretty much anything lower then the GTS 250 is pointless with them.. but at the same time i understand why they use it.. its just annoying that it makes lower end cards obsolete..

If we can still gain some points in Muon1 after the Christmas Challenge, I will add my i7 to that project.

For what its worth even the old generation ATI cards dont perform all that well in Collatz. I have a ATI 3870 running on Collatz and it completes these newer WUs in about 45 minutes or so as opposed to my 4850 which completes a WU in about 17 min. But every little bit helps. :)

If we can still gain some points in Muon1 after the Christmas Challenge, I will add my i7 to that project.
^ this for me too - right now my Q6600 is running WCG/BOINC for the challenge and dnet on all 4 cores plus my two FAH 96GSOs, so I don't want to mess with it right now. I might try to fire it up on my work computer (Pentium D) to see how it can do in the background and on weekends, but that's about all from me until January.

For what its worth even the old generation ATI cards dont perform all that well in Collatz. I have a ATI 3870 running on Collatz and it completes these newer WUs in about 45 minutes or so as opposed to my 4850 which completes a WU in about 17 min. But every little bit helps. :)

I haven't started WCG yet, but I'll see what I can free up.

The 8800GS takes almost three hours to complete a Collatz WU. I gave up. :rolleyes:

Thanks Sazan. The more cores the merrier! :)

Wow I didnt know the 8800s were that slow in Collatz! I was thinking of scraping together a low end rig just so I could run my 8800GS but I guess if I do that I will put that card on GPUGRID instead of Collatz.

SIMAP is out of work until January, so I replaced it with WCG.

Is there a way to force BOINC priorities in task manager?

I have Bill2's Process Manager but it seems it runs a different process for every project so its kind of hard to manage.

Hmmm . . . I'll try to do a little searching on that one. That is if Razor doesnt come in here and answer it before I even get a chance. :D

Are you trying to get it to run at a high or low priority? In the past when I have run BOINC and dnet or BOINC and W@home, I have usually left BOINC at the normal priority and made my other tasks a higher priority.

well i want my boinc projs to run at idle.

It seems to make my computer unusable

FLAT Line!! :eek:
2505vg8.png

by default they should all be running as an idle process.. so if your having performance issues with the system when boinc is running then there is something else wrong or your overclock is not actually as stable as you thought it was(that is if your system is overclocked).. there should be 0 effect in performance when boinc is running.. i can play any game i want including supreme commander which is a hardcore multi-threaded game that uses a ton of cpu and it has 0 effect on the game when its playing..

now if you just want boinc to run when the system isnt being used.. go to advanced/preferences/processor usage and uncheck while system is in use.. then set how long it should wait for the system to be idle before turning on.. also you can set a scheduler so it only comes on at certain times of the day..

Last edited:
nitrobass24 there is really no good way to set priority in Boinc.
The CPU projects should already be running at Idle priority and the GPU apps should run at Below Normal priority.

Last edited:
I did aswell, you had a really good run last month there SazanEyes.

Normally SIMAP runs out of work after a few days, so I'm used to throwing everything I have at it. I didn't know the work would last all month and get me 200K points. :D

I'm still on Docking, Poem, and Yoyo as well as WCG. Non-BOINC is Muon1, and GPU is just the ATI on Collatz. I think my power bill is going to be very low this month. I can probably turn some boxen back on in another week and a half.

Normally SIMAP runs out of work after a few days, so I'm used to throwing everything I have at it. I didn't know the work would last all month and get me 200K points. :D

I'm still on Docking, Poem, and Yoyo as well as WCG. Non-BOINC is Muon1, and GPU is just the ATI on Collatz. I think my power bill is going to be very low this month. I can probably turn some boxen back on in another week and a half.

Same here, winter has failed to start here and there has been no real need to crank the heat.

Dont look now but somehow Anandtech got a big push in Eon a few updates ago and retook 10th place in the Vault. :( An 800 point gain in that project.

No worries. We'll get them back. Glad to see they are putting up a fight though. :)

Since I was paying my power bill tonight, I put together a quick chart to show you guys what I've been dealing with. I'm sure some of you are dealing with similar bills.

power.png

I started folding on my PS3 in Dec 2008, and kept adding systems from there. I have an electric heat pump, but you can see the numbers for last summer were pretty low. The usage spike in September and drop in October is due to my dual GTX 295 system going online and then crashing a month later, I believe. (I tripped the circuit breaker a couple times around then, too.)

I'm hoping my December bill will be back in the $100-150 range, and then I'll ramp up again from there depending on how my job situation looks in January.

by default they should all be running as an idle process.. so if your having performance issues with the system when boinc is running then there is something else wrong or your overclock is not actually as stable as you thought it was(that is if your system is overclocked).. there should be 0 effect in performance when boinc is running.. i can play any game i want including supreme commander which is a hardcore multi-threaded game that uses a ton of cpu and it has 0 effect on the game when its playing..

now if you just want boinc to run when the system isnt being used.. go to advanced/preferences/processor usage and uncheck while system is in use.. then set how long it should wait for the system to be idle before turning on.. also you can set a scheduler so it only comes on at certain times of the day..
I actually have a similar problem with BOINC, but only when the GPU client is running - I have to pause BOINC to game, surf the web without lag, etc. When MW was out of work, I never even notice that BOINC was running in the background...

Dont look now but somehow Anandtech got a big push in Eon a few updates ago and retook 10th place in the Vault. :( An 800 point gain in that project.

No worries. We'll get them back. Glad to see they are putting up a fight though. :)

If we just overtake the inactive teams above us in Muon1, we should get 1500 Vault points. That should put us out of reach of Anandtech for a while. It's a long climb to #9, though.

Wow. Thats some big electric bills Sazan. How much does it cost you per KWh?

In other DC news, it appears that Collatz is down/out of work. Sazan run this project for like a week and . . . :D:D:D

Points are really low across the board in NFS, so it would be nice if some people here could start running it before it gets added to DC Vault and the gold rush begins. For example, I'm #125 in the whole project and I only ran it back in October. I'll devote a core to it.

Well it didnt take long for us to reclaim 10th place> :D

Overall Team Position: (Up 1 places1) 10
Overall Team Score: (Down 9,032.033121 points9,032.033121) 347,165.642227

Only by like 40 points but still. :) Im not sure how soon NFS will be added, but I will probably move a few cores over (to NFS or Muon1) as soon as the WCG Race is over. I've pushed that race pretty hard and I dont want to abandon it in the middle.

We should gain a spot in Muon1 today.
I'm hoping to keep the pressure on for the next 5-6 spots in Muon1 which should yield some nice DC-Vault points.:)

It looks like my Phenom II is only doing around 80K per day instead of 100K, but I plan to keep it running Muon1 long term. One of these days I'll get around to overclocking it.

It looks like my Phenom II is only doing around 80K per day instead of 100K, but I plan to keep it running Muon1 long term. One of these days I'll get around to overclocking it.

mine does about 90k points a day.. but its overclocked to 3.5ghz.. 3.8ghz you should easily break 100k.. only thing i noticed with the client is that it doesnt actually use 100% of the cpu.. it bounces around between 91-97% on each core..

Muon1 will do that unless you make separate directories with Muon1 client in each of them and run a single client and thread from each directory for each of your cores.
(a 2 client with 2 threads each could be tried for a quad and other variations for 8 core CPU's)

My experience tells me that running one instance with multiple threads from a single directory produces more results on a quad core.
The reason for this is that each client that is running uses more memory and time on the processor feeding itself work.

The advantage of Muon1 only using ~96% is that it leaves just enough CPU time to feed hungry GPU's with something else with no impact to performance like I see when my CPU is at 100% usage.

Thanks for the update Razor. I think I might have a laptop around here that im not running right now. I might see if I can get that fired up tomorrow. At least put in a few points until the Christmas Challenge is over. After that's over I'll move a few more over.

Another very nice DC-Vault update. 223+ points.
Over the next few weeks Santa is adding a couple HD4890's clocked at 950/1100mhz to the effort.:D

Wow. Thanks Santa! :D

Nice work on Razor and others! At 150+ Vault Points for each spot that will help a lot on the quest for 9th place!

Amazing what a dozen dedicated folders can do for science in just 1 year - Happy Birthday indeed! Everybody enjoy a cold beer for the event, and here's to a great second year! :D

Back