DC Vault 2

Jathanis, my 210's crunch at POEM ok, so if you have nVidia cards I don't see why they shouldn't work. My ATI 4350 certainly doesn't though. (I didn't expect it to since it only had BETA support) Which ATI card are you running?

My ATI is a 4850, and although it's supposed to be a double precision card, it isn't always supported by individual projects. The nvidia cards are a 9800gtx and a 9600gso, and both gave me errors last time I tried Poem, although I don't know if that was a driver issue or a project issue. Neither work on GPUgrid, but both are great on Primegrid, so I put them there aiming for 10M... I figured I'd look at other nvidia projects after that goal, assuming I haven't found the money to upgrade them by then...

Yeah...I'm rusty on some of the older cards, but I know that the 210's can still do GPUGrid's short runs. They also can do POEM. The 8400GS's don't do the GPUGrid's very often. Usually take too long, but they do work at POEM. So, I would update the drivers and give it a shot. You never know. I typically run the latest non-BETA drivers.

The 4850 might work, but I've never used one. I'm an nVidia fan. I will have a few more low end AMD's in my next build though since I have some brand new 5450's just sitting on the shelf. They are a little bit better then the 4350 from what I have read, so nothing huge will come out of them.

nVidia tends to be a better investment if you plan on keeping the card for long term. POEM has too many issues with keeping up with demand. WCG will be losing the HCC app very soon. So, the only other bio science in the BOINC realm with GPU is GPUGrid which doesn't support AMD/OpenCL yet. Now if all you care about is points (not saying you do), then AMD is the smarter choice for OpenCL projects at this time.

Your two nVidia cards should still work at SETI, SETI BETA, Albert, and Einstein too. (not sure about Donate) As far as the vault goes, SETI and Einstein could always use a boost.

I hear you - I mainly went with the 4850 to do BOINC while my 2 nvidia were Folding, way back when we started the Commandos... I prefer nvidia, too!

And FWIW, I know I've seen people get 4830s like yours to work, I just haven't gotten it working on my right yet. I'm aiming for 10M in Moo!, but may try Poem before that if I get around to it... I also want to get Collatz up to 10M, so it's a matter of 3 projects & 1 ATI... :)

Naw...it is the 4350. And I have seen it be a pain to get to work. It all has to do with getting lucky. I have had them work and not work in the same rig with fresh install of the OS and driver package. I pull my hair out every time I do it. So, when it works I don't touch it. No further updates on the AMD software whatsoever. Mine work at Moo!, PrimeGrid, Donate, Albert, Einstein, and SETI/BETA for the time being. They are now in borged machines as I gave them free upgrades. I figured that way they wont get messed with much.

Well, I just spent an hour attaching various clients, and discovered that I can't get anything to run but what I'm already running on my old GPUs... I tried GPUgrid, Einstein, and POEM and got nothing for any of them. I'll try posting the log files tomorrow - at least on Einstein, it seemed to indicate that I don't meet some minimum requirement. And I think POEM has more to do with there being no available OpenCL WUs, so I won't stress there...

I'm pretty sure my ATI will run MW & Collatz, because this is the same card I used to put up 15M points between those two projects, so I didn't try either tonight - was trying for new stuff.

FWIW, I'm running BOINC 7.0.28 on WinXP with the 310.70 nvidia drivers and (I think) the 12.1 Catalyst drivers (anything newer doesn't seem to allow the 4XXX ATIs to to GPU work)

Yeah...I think the 4350's that I use are still somewhere in version 8-10. I couldn't get them to work right with version 12.1

On a different note, I added another Dell c610 laptop to the cause. It only has 1GHz P3 Processor and 256MB of ram and Windows 2000, but I intend on throwing it in a rummage sale in a few weeks anyways. I figured BOINC would be a good stress test for it.

Well, I came home from work, and found that my 9800GTX has picked up CUDA WUs for both Einstein & Poem, but still nothing for the ATI 4850... So far, the Einstein WUs are taking just over an hour to complete and net 500 points. So It's going to be a case of trading 60,000 Primegrid PPD for just over 10,000 Einstein PPD. Guess I'll have to think twice about that.

Well...the points are only comparative within the project. PrimeGrid is known for being reward heavy compared to many other projects. The real question just comes down to ... what is YOUR goal to get out of it? After that, I would say follow that path and be happy. I don't care about math, so I support those projects with only a small portion of my resources. I don't let my equipment go unused, so if there isn't work at one project then it gets used at another. Recently, I have been bored with DC'ing "meaningful" sciences and have moved on to personal goals. However, in your case you would probably see better use of the 4850 to just stay at Moo! and Collatz. Try it at Donate because my 4350's work there. Technically you would be helping GPUGrid by doing so and they also have a high point pay out.

themacguy's wife was diagnosed with leukemia two weeks ago and is currently in the hospital undergoing chemotherapy treatments.

Both of us will be crunching Help Conquer Cancer until the project ends next week.

If anyone wants to join us that would be great. She could use all the help she can get.

themacguy's wife was diagnosed with leukemia two weeks ago and is currently in the hospital undergoing chemotherapy treatments.

Both of us will be crunching Help Conquer Cancer until the project ends next week.

If anyone wants to join us that would be great. She could use all the help she can get.
Very sorry to hear this. Please pass along our positive thoughts to themacguy and his family. We certainly appreciate his contributions to the WCG and I for one am 100% HCC right now. I haven't needed as much processing power for other workloads as I thought I would this month so I have been able to keep crunching a lot of HCC.

Guys, I'm going to take a hiatus from BOINC for a bit and turn my attention back to Folding. I have a couple of goals to meet there, but I'll return to BOINC sometime in the future.
Good luck on the F@H crunching sir.

Very sorry to hear this. Please pass along our positive thoughts to themacguy and his family. We certainly appreciate his contributions to the WCG and I for one am 100% HCC right now. I haven't needed as much processing power for other workloads as I thought I would this month so I have been able to keep crunching a lot of HCC.
Will do ... thanks metallicafan.

Last edited:
I'm shocked that the PNT for once wasn't accused of being involved. However, the accounts seemed to be fake accounts and they were team hopping. So, it could have been anyone and the reasons for it are yet (and possibly forever) unknown.

Hey guys - I just came across this link for the BOINC Pentathlon in the WCG forums:
http://www.seti-germany.de/boinc_pentathlon/22_en_Welcome.html

I figured I'd see if any of the BOINC guys around here wanted to join in. Our team is so small that we would need significant interest to be competitive. I haven't read all of the details yet but it could be fun. Anyone who is interested, post here and if we have enough people that want to crunch for those two weeks) I'll sign us up.

Note: Registrations are due April 27th so I guess we dont have that long to decide.

I'm game but you may need to grab DooKey before he leaves... :p

Re: the pentathlon, I don't have much hardware to throw at it, so I won't voice an opinion.

Anyone else have some issues with Enigma@Home recently? Both my Android devices couldn't upload finished units or download new work for maybe 3-4 days, back to normal now after I restarted the client yesterday morning. I tried restarting it before and no dice, so not sure if they had some server issues or I had some network issues.

Yeah...they were down. I had to manually upload too. Seems to be working now. This is why I suggested having a second project. :p Enigma tends to go down without warning.

Heh, I see, in the end I didn't lose too much productivity because they each had a decent work buffer, but I'll try and remember to add a secondary project tonight.

And remember that you can set project priority to 0 on the secondary project so that it will only request work if your other project has none available or is unreachable.

Since HCC at WCG is estimated for like a day of work left of new work, I loaded up a couple boxes with enough work to hit my 7 year mark. That would make 2 years past my goal.

Switched my laptop over to Correlizer earlier, massive difference in processing times from Climate Prediction heh. My girlfriend's laptop will finish crunching an Asteroids unit, then that's on Correlizer too for what it's worth.

NativeBOINC's SETI has been updated, sounds good:
This version (0.1.1) of SETI@Home application brings new support for VFP based on LibFFTS (instead PFFFT) and improved support for NEON. You can expects 20%-30% speedup on a ARM processors with VFP.

metallicafan.... did we or did we not join? I'm assuming no since I was the only one that piped up.

I also added another part time borged laptop with a core 2 duo T5250 processor and a lowly NVidia 8400m GS video and 2GB of ram tonight. I have no idea how long it runs each day, but its another option.

Last edited:
Well, due to the heat I have to begin shutting down a few of the PC's I am about to donate. 4 desktops for a total of 5 cores. Not a lot of production, but it was a nice little boost. Hopefully with the weekend rain it cools back down for a while longer.

My Dad is not doing so good, he is 89 years and asked to see his grand kid one last time - so off to Idaho I go and will be back in a week or two.
Keep it [H]ard !

metallicafan.... did we or did we not join? I'm assuming no since I was the only one that piped up. ...

Nope I didnt join the BOINC Pentathlon. It would have been fun but just didnt seem like there was enough interest. Maybe we can watch how it goes this year and join next year.

My Dad is not doing so good, he is 89 years and asked to see his grand kid one last time - so off to Idaho I go and will be back in a week or two.
Keep it [H]ard !

Have a safe trip Razor and we wish you and your grandfather the best. I'll keep our Enigma production up while your away.

Finally hit 100M BOINC points. Its been a long time coming. :) Keep crunching commandos!

I wonder how many of the teams were prepared for CEP2 in the Pentathlon. A lot of people don't know to change the defaults at WCG to do more then one at a time and not all systems handle the IO's to the hard drive. Gotta say that was probably a poor choice but on the other hand, was probably deliberately nominated by those who already have systems tweaked for it.

Back