DC Vault 2

xENo, I see your production dropping at Rosetta. I didn't scare you off did I? LOL

Well, unless they withhold time credit for WUs pending validation like they withhold points, it looks like my GFAM push came up 30 hours short... Last time I try to fill a queue to meet a deadline for a badge! I had at least 2 days of work expire due to deadlines, too, or I would have made it easily... :(

xENo, I see your production dropping at Rosetta. I didn't scare you off did I? LOL

Not many of us doing the Rosetta thing this month so far.

Everything for the 2p has arrived, so building will commence tomorrow! 24 more cores online for the [H]orde!

That is awesome news Kai.

Sorry to hear that Jathanis. It has happened to me twice now. Luckily, I had the max badge on both of them already. I just like having my years rounded out. It's an OCD thing. Also keep in mind that DSFL and HFCC are the next two slated to end. WCG also mentioned another project starting soon, so I would recommend hitting it hard from the launch. That way you get your time in early. DDDT2 jaded many. CFSW, GFAM, and HPFP2 have all surprised enough people that I think the reliability of projects has gone down the tube. Though none of those issues are really WCG's fault, they are the one delivering the product and do all the PR work.

Last edited:
So, I was thinking that perhaps for July we could do something a little different. I was thinking that instead of choosing one project, we theme it. I was thinking of chasing badges month.

Vault projects with badges:
GPUGrid http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1709028&highlight=gpugrid
enigma http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1727528&highlight=badges
WCG http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1309607&highlight=badges
PrimeGrid http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1722887&highlight=badges
YoYo http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1722893&highlight=badges
Asteroids http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1729746&highlight=badges

Non-Vault projects:
WUProp (Non-CPU intensive and everyone should have it attached quite frankly) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1741941&highlight=badges
Numberfields http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1709023&highlight=badges
OProject http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1718887&highlight=oproject
Radioactive (this requires a special detector that is hard to get ahold of and is also Non-CPU intensive)

That covers GPU and CPU processing as well as ARM capable projects. At the same time we can build our badges and push the Vault standing. Since WCG is supposedly going to launch a new project allegedly this summer, this allows people to switch to it if it happens to come out in July.

It is taking forever, but I am now up to 80% of my goal at ABC. Quite frankly I think they should remove that project from the vault. If it doesn't have plenty of work regularly, then it doesn't really meet the requirements for the vault. Unless of course I'm brain farting.

I decided to start tinkering with Dimes. Does anyone have any tips? I installed it on a laptop to run alongside BOINC. The only default settings I have changed under properties was network => File Transfer Rate => 51 and under Settings => Show Splash Screen was unchecked. If it works out pretty well, I will run it alongside BOINC on multiple devices.

DSFL will finish sending out new work for Batch 90 tonight. It took ~17 days to finish. Batch 100 is the last known batch. I'm expecting DSFL to run out completely in the next few weeks.

DSFL will finish sending out new work for Batch 90 tonight. It took ~17 days to finish. Batch 100 is the last known batch. I'm expecting DSFL to run out completely in the next few weeks.

Sekerob doesn't expect it to finish by the end of the month...but with people switching over to it full bore, who knows. https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,31672_offset,40

I'm not even attempting to finish a full 6th year in it. So, I will let WCG decide what to send. Sekerob also guesses that there will not be a launch of a new project this month. It makes sense since BETA usually last a few weeks or more before launching one.

Look on the bright side - we'll be getting more beta WUs soon, right? :D

Seriously, here's hoping I can get to my Ruby badge on DSFL before running out. Worst part is the dual quad core server here at work that I have a lead on buying cheap won't be replaced until August 1st at the earliest, right after those 8 core would have helped me with 3 separate projects. At least I can get ahead on whatever new projects they announce...

So, I purchased a replacement motherboard for my Q8200 on eBay. (DX38BT) I got one that had 3 PCIe slots on it to utilize more of the cards I have laying around and increase my total yield. Yeah I know, electricity costs and all that. But, I got the board in the mail yesterday and the first thing I saw was a single capacitor that wasn't swollen, but it was leaking quite a bit. Luckily, the seller has already refunded the purchase amount and shipping to me. This of course was after accusing me of not knowing what thermal paste on a processor was. I sent him pics so he knew that I was aware of the difference. So, I'm still thinking of firing the board up anyways. I have a ton of single core socket 775's and he sent one with the board I could test with to see if it will work even for short term. It can't be any worse then the current board my Q8200 is in that has 7 swollen capacitors on it. LOL

So, I have been adding PC's to Dimes a little at a time trying to watch for any bad behavior. So far, all has been good. For those who have ran Dimes in the past or are currently, have you had any hiccups, irritations, problems, etc...? I just want to know what to watch for and possibly understand why we have such a low participation rate there. To me, NCI projects are a no brainer.

Last edited:
How fast is the Q8200 running WCG?

I see lots of Q8200 and Q6600 chips out there for not much money. I'd like to upgrade my E5200 dual-core box to a quad-core again (had a Q9300 in it at one time but sold it) and run it until XP officially dies next April.

It probably makes more sense to just bite the bullet and replace it with a 8-core box instead.

If you are going to OC, I don't recommend it. I have read a lot of threads stating that it is a poor chip to OC. However, for the cheap quad chips it was a value chip from what I read. I know when I bought it, it was chosen because of a low budget at the time. Basically, it served its purpose. It crunches fine on most projects, but I haven't done any real comparisons on performance. It is one of the set and forget boxes and just let it do its thing.

If you have the money to spare, just go 8 core. I don't worry about electric costs too much since I'm not really putting the change aside for smarter upgrades each month. I just add what I can as I can. I have a lot of recycled gear. My job is tossing Dell OptiPlex 360's right now and I have managed to grab a few of them before donations. They are only dual cores, but I borg them and give them to friends and family. They happily run BOINC in the background in exchange of a free system.

With only 5 days of June left, does anyone have any other thoughts or ideas on next months push?

I added an installation walk through for DIMES here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1768712

For those unaware, DIMES is a non-CPU intensive program that can run alongside BOINC and FAH. Our team should be a lot more active on this one. Currently, there is only two of us active.

Last edited:
I'm currently in the middle of using both my machines to figure out why one keeps freezing up, but when they go back on line 100% (hopefully this weekend), I'll give it a go. Need something to replace freehal!

I'll set up DIMES tonight, too, thanks for the guide. I have no suggestions myself on July's project.
I found out I'm due a decent sized tax rebate soon, so that should help in getting some more crunchers online.

Jathanis, have you switched your CPU yet? If it is the same issue you were having, it sounds like you have a bad core since switching to 3 resolved it. Playing Borderlands would take advantage of all 4 cores. As mentioned before, there are others that have posted elsewhere that had that trouble with a flawed or faulty processor. I'm betting that is the case.

CaptainUnlikely, you are welcome for the guide. I just wished somebody would have pointed out to me that DIMES was NCI a long time ago. To me, NCI projects are no brainers. The only real down side to this type of work is that it uses other resources like internet bandwidth. Some people have metered service and this would tick away at it. This kind of work can also be picked up by some firewalls as a potential precursor to a DDOS attack. So if it doesn't generate points for you after a day, check your settings. There are more details and info on their FAQ's.

Thanks for the tip. I have unlimited internet and a good connection so that's no problem. My router's firewall is also pretty relaxed, I'll install it and see how it goes though.

No, I've been doing the easy part and running each stick of memory through 12 hours of memtest86 before I move to cpus. I may even try psu swaps, too, even though the bad machine has a 6 month old Corsair 750w unit only pushing a q9550 and 9800gtx. To swap cpus, I'll have to remove the entire mobo from my good machine to remove the heat sink, and possibly upgrade the bios on the old a bit ip35 to test the q9550 (possible bad processor). If I get that far, I want to buy a whole new case to reinstall the good system in, allowing me to reset the cooler without removing the mobo, and increasing the airflow from the current 2 80mm case fans...

CaptainUnlikely, I see you got DIMES up and running. I'm glad to have the extra company. Within the next 2 to 3 days we should take spot 19. I also added my 18th device tonight on DIMES. I'm hoping to get more borged systems running it in the future.

I had to reinstall it on my laptop, first time I tried it wasn't doing much at all - no error messages but it wasn't doing any work. I rebooted, no dice, do I reinstalled it and it's now working fine. I don't think it was working on my gf's laptop either but I'll reinstall that tonight and see what happens if it's still going nowhere. I'll also borg my parents' PC next time I'm there.
The best thing about Dimes, if I'm not mistaken, is that there are literally no deadlines because it doesn't use work units as such, it just takes measurements and traces routes. So, it could in theory run even on a machine that will only be on for a very small amount of time and still do some useful work - not much, but some.

Yeah, I don't know if the graphics part works or not. I also haven't done extensive testing. It seems kind of random on which ones "appear" working and which ones don't. However, I get credit on all of them regardless. I even have some that test as being blocked, but still get credit. I'm not sure what that is all about. Most are all setup the same on the same network.

Once I reinstalled it, the graphics part works fine for me. I don't know if it's accurate, but things started appearing and I got some points, so that was a good correlation :)
I left it a good half hour or so the first time and got no credit or anything. I'll see if my gf's laptop has got any credit when I get home, if not I'll reinstall it on there too.

Mine get credit even without the graphics showing anything. And I just let mine run a day to see if they got credit awarded. I don't know how quick they report in or how often their stats update.

Hm, fair enough, perhaps I was just impatient then. Once I reinstalled, credit showed up within a few minutes...maybe I caught the stats server at a bad time and assumed the worst.

Well, all memory checks out as good, system still randomly freezing. Afraid the 8 month Samsung 840 SSD might be the issue, so after a CPU swap tomorrow (found my old trusty e2160), the next step is a Windows reinstall to a different drive, then if that solves the freezing, restoring last week's backup image to see if I have a corrupted install. If not, I'll test the PSU with a swap, then replace the mobo...

I see the FS/FT forum has some good i7 920 deals for well under $200 - running one of those at 4Ghz would definitely be a step up from a stock q9550, and then when I solve the freezing issue, I'll have the perfect excuse for a third folding box! :D

Don't know what the deal is, whether it's something odd in my network, but the gf's laptop had made no progress on Dimes so I reinstalled it and it's now working.
I'm sorting out two laptops for a work colleague at the minute so these may be my first two borged machines "in the wild" - obviously, with permission. One is an old P4 machine so I doubt it'll do much, may just set up Dimes on that, the other is a fairly decent Core 2 Duo so I may get BOINC on there.

Well...put BOINC on them anyways. Stick WUProp on them since it is NCI and even if it can't crank out work quick, WCG awards badges based on run time and Climate Prediction gives like a year for deadlines.

And what brand/models are they?

And if you do add BOINC, I would make sure to use a BOINC Manager like BAM! so that if there is any future NCI projects, you can just add them from the manager instead of getting physical access to the laptops.

Last edited:
I hit my 1 million point goal in Milkyway today.

That makes 15 projects with 1 million+ points

Last edited:
Well...put BOINC on them anyways. Stick WUProp on them since it is NCI and even if it can't crank out work quick, WCG awards badges based on run time and Climate Prediction gives like a year for deadlines.

And what brand/models are they?

And if you do add BOINC, I would make sure to use a BOINC Manager like BAM! so that if there is any future NCI projects, you can just add them from the manager instead of getting physical access to the laptops.

I more than likely will, at least on the better one. The old one is only going to be used for homework and stuff by her daughter, so it probably won't be on long at all.
The old one is a HP Omnibook XE4500, 1.6GHz Pentium 4 and 512MB RAM. The better one is a HP 6910P, Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM.
I will take a look into BAM too, I haven't had a need for it before because I've had easy physical access to all my machines, but it would make life much easier to manage them all from one interface.

Had a power outage last weekend while I was out of town on vacation. Only 1 machine was functional. Just got the rest of them back up and running DSFL work.

Back