DC on Android - Apps available

jebo_4jc

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2011
Apparently this is old news but if it has been discussed here before I missed it. Has anybody tried this? I found an app made by HTC but supports a wide range of modern Android devices. It supports a variety of familiar DC projects including WCG.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.htc.ptg&hl=en
http://www.htc.com/us/go/power-to-give-faqs/

Apparently Samsung has something similar called "Power Sleep"?

HTC Power To Give is currently supporting HTC One (M8), HTC One, HTC One max, HTC One mini, HTC One mini 2, HTC Desire 816, HTC Desire 610, HTC Butterfly, HTC Butterfly s, Google Nexus 4, Google Nexus 5, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S4 Active, Samsung Galaxy S4 mini, Samsung Galaxy S5, Sony Xperia Z, Sony Xperia Z1, Sony Xperia Z1 Compact, Sony Xperia Z2, Motorola Moto X, Motorola Moto G, Droid Maxx by Motorola, LG G2 and Lenovo K910.
Please also ensure your device is in Android 4.3 or above.

HTC Power To Give will only be actively contributing when your device is plugged into an external power source and your battery is at least 90% charged (default setting). Your device’s battery life will not be significantly affected. Furthermore, your recharging time will not be significantly extended.

HTC's Power to Give app is basically a rebadged BOINC client. Yes it has been available for a while and yes some of us are running BOINC on our Android tablets/phones/R-Pi's, and other Android devices. You can even run it in VM's but the list of x86 capable projects is limited to 2. Take a look at the all inclusive DC list I maintain in the guides section here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1801908

There is aslo another app that came out before Berkeley had an official release called nativeBOINC that is also in the Play store. It will run on older devices that BOINC and HTC's Power to give app wont.

Also, I encourage that regardless of project you choose (with space and system memory available) that you also attach your devices to WUProp and if you have a device with an accelerometer to also connect to Stanford's Quake Catcher Network. Not all devices will work with QCN, but the ones that do would be nice to have helping the team. I warn that points are done a bit odd their since it isn't a traditional crunching project, but if things are working they run a script to award credits either weekly or every two weeks. Both WUProp and QCN are non-CPU intensive, so they can run alongside any other work you are crunching pretty much unnoticed.

After playing with this for a few days, I've amassed a whopping 89 points. Shockingly, I suppose, my phone's ARM cores aren't the computing powerhouses I thought they might have been :p

No, they are not. However, ARM cores tend to be more efficient per point/result than x86/64 competitors. So, we don't recommend buying ARM devices just for DC'ing, but if you already have them, they still make sense to use. What device is it?

After playing with this for a few days, I've amassed a whopping 89 points. Shockingly, I suppose, my phone's ARM cores aren't the computing powerhouses I thought they might have been :p

I had a similar revolation a few months ago after I bought a Moto G just for DCing. As the G-man says though, they are more efficient than you think. I still run 2 dual core devices and the quad core Moto G. PPD is horrible, but PPD/watt is great and I am not trying to compete with anyone these days.

Back