Day of Remembrance: September 11, 2001

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Today is the 9th anniversary of the attacks in New York, Washington and over the skies of Pennsylvania. It is a day of prayers and remembrance of lost friends and loved ones. The day the entire world was wounded in a profound way. Remember to never forget.

9-11-01candleangellarge_thumb%5B8%5D%20-%20Copy.jpg

Sometimes this seems like it happened last week. Other times it seems like it was a lifetime ago. It is our responsibility to not let the world forget about what happened. And more importantly we can not allow ourselves to become complacent over this memorial either. If you see or know a soldier be sure to thank them for ensuring that something of this magnitude doesn't happen again.

Wow, I barely remember it. I was 7 years old, barely old enough to remember, but I remember going to school that day. I remember seeing the planes hit the world trade center on TV in the morning before I got to school. I think the saddest part is that we don't even have a proper memorial at Ground Zero (I live in Cali, but I went to NY a two summers ago). Either way, we shall never forget those who died on that day and those who are currently serving our country on this Patriots' Day.

I've been discussing this with a couple of friends from work, and it's difficult to believe it has been nine years. I remember that day like it was yesterday, and the chills that ran through me as I watched that jet hit the towers...

We should never forget that day, or the thousands of innocent people that died. My prayers go not only out to the victims, their families and the many others that suffered on that day, but also for our children and the future generations who will be affected by what happened. The United States has not been the same since, and the events of that day has only helped escalate the agenda's of many other entities out there that would cause us harm simply because we are American.

Amen brother.
The day here in NY was a carbon copy,clear and crisp.

May God touch those who lost loved ones.:(

Tempus Fugit

Can't believe it was 9 years ago. Hope the sacrifices and lives lost since then won't be forgotten.

Not from the US, but I give my condolences. It was a TERRIBLE tragedy, and I hope it will never be repeated in my lifetime.

Sometimes this seems like it happened last week. Other times it seems like it was a lifetime ago. It is our responsibility to not let the world forget about what happened. And more importantly we can not allow ourselves to become complacent over this memorial either. If you see or know a soldier be sure to thank them for ensuring that something of this magnitude doesn't happen again.

Yea, people forgot about Pearl Harbor, among many other attacks. We become complacent over time and after those who didn't experience it get older. More and more the attack symbolizes the way Bush was able to start his war. I'm not sure if that's just the mentality of the area I live around (and news), but it's already lost it's message.

Sad times. Many innocent people lost their lives with an enemy that has no face (pick a terrorist in a lineup). Too many bleeding hearts out there that want to just forget it and let terrorists go and not be held accountable.

I'll never forget that day. *bows head*

@ Ur Mom, Lets keep your politics out of it.
My condolences to those who lost loved ones and those never found them.
Please remember the whole world wept and gave us thier support.
If anyone has those pictures of the American embassies around the world where other countries held vigils, I would love to see those on the forum today.

I still remember watching the towers on TV in grade 12, I actually thought it was a prank of some sort or a movie with special effects, as did the entire classroom.

I hope the families have found peace in these years, I couldn't imagine even being there and surviving let alone having to deal with lost family members.

This generation's Pearl Harbor. I hope the next generation doesn't have anything like this event.

Yes, another day I will always remember where I was and what I was doing, right up their with another day I will always remember Friday, November 22, 1963.

I will never forget! i lived 4 miles from the pentagon. and know people who lost friends and relitives.

It was my freshman year in high school. I remember sitting in my French class and hearing that a plane had hit the WTC. No one really thought all that much about it because we all assumed it was just a terrible accident. The bell rang, and I walked into my biology class just in time to see the 2nd plane hit on the classroom television. After that everyone knew it was no longer just an accident. Didn't really do much else that day...spent the rest of the school day watching the news. I saw both towers collapse as it happened. Looking back on it, it seems like it happened just yesterday, but it seems so long ago at the same time.

It was my freshman year in high school. I remember sitting in my French class and hearing that a plane had hit the WTC. No one really thought all that much about it because we all assumed it was just a terrible accident. The bell rang, and I walked into my biology class just in time to see the 2nd plane hit on the classroom television. After that everyone knew it was no longer just an accident. Didn't really do much else that day...spent the rest of the school day watching the news. I saw both towers collapse as it happened. Looking back on it, it seems like it happened just yesterday, but it seems so long ago at the same time.

i was in middle school at the time....watching the news in school...

I was a freshman too. Being in socal at the time we knew about it before we got to school. During 1st period we were just listening to the radio and after 1st period we were sent home.

Walking home that day (lived on an AFB) saw all the MP's out in full gear, their M16's patrolling around as the entire base went on lockdown.

If I forget, then I won't realize I have forgotten until someone tells me.

I woke up this morning, much like I did 9 years ago on this day on which the entire face of America changed forever. In fact I had actually forgotten what day it was on this sunny morning in Montana, so far away from the terrible events of 9/11. Much like 9 years ago, it wasn't until I got onto the computer and saw on the web the reminder of the terrible tragedy that befell our country 9 years ago.

9 years ago, at around the same time, was just getting up after deciding to sleep in late and arrive late at my morning class. I was going to my local College and starting my degree in Information Systems management. Dreery eyed from over sleeping and not really wanting to pay attention to my instructors lesson, I fired up my computer terminal and decided to browse through my usual tech and computer forums for something worthy of my time.

I was immediately struck by the major forum topics of the day on the main page in big bold letters " New York attacked! WTC buildings on fire!!!! WTC collapsed! Pentagon attacked, on fire!!"

Wondering what in the hell was going on I verbally called out loud to the entire classroom right in the middle of my instructors speech

"Ummm, can someone tell me what the hell is going on in New York?

I still remember the entire room going deafly quiet as 30+ people slowly turned their heads towards me with looks of surprised, shock and even some anger towards me. My instructor looked at me with both somewhat disbelief and disdane

"You don't know Bryce? I think you better go to the study hall"

Without a second thought, I threw myself outa my chair and ran across the campus full tilt and barged into the cafeterial study area were they had set up a makeshift TV and stand. Surrounding it were well over a hundred of students, faculty and teachers with various looks of shock, horror, surprise and even some crying. I ran to the TV just in time to see the second tower collapse on the news feed. It wasn't until the newscaster was saying something to the effect of

"The WTC are gone, the second tower collapsed, its gone...its just gone"

did I realize what had happened. I fell sick to my stomach and for the first time in my life, didn't know what to feel or think as I stared at the TV for what seemed to be hours. After watching the replays of the planes smashing into the towers, the pentagon burning and the crashed plane in the field, I felt sick and utterly numb in my entire body. I slowly dragged myself to back class and tried to concentrate on my studies but my mind was completely gone through the entire day.

I came home after school and watched more news feeds of the events with my parents, not saying alot until I had to go work my late shift at Wal-Mart. It wasn't any better there, I hardly spoke with anyone and didn't really need to, the store was eerily quiet with only the soft murmor of shocked and stunned conversation between people of what had transpired that day. Even the Wal-Mart satellite feed had been switched to CNN coverage of the 9/11 tragedy and I spent most of that very quiet evening in the electronics dept of Wal-Mart, watching the world change via a wall of TV's showing me the cruel reality of what had happened that day.

So, where were you on 9/11?

Not from the US, but I give my condolences. It was a TERRIBLE tragedy, and I hope it will never be repeated in my lifetime.

We (US...I) thank you. :cool:

From what I understand, 90 countries lost citizens in the Pentagon and World Trade Center attacks. This was a global tragedy that took place on American soil at the hands of demented people.

Lets not forget the people that were terribly wounded (physically and emotionally) as well as those heroic people that aided in the rescue efforts.

I'll reflect on my peace and security today.

I was 9 years old. I was home schooled at the time and had a piano lesson that morning. My family had all gotten up, and my brothers had just left for school when my mom turned on the TV and it showed the first tower burning. Then later we watched the plane hit the second tower. We skipped my lesson that morning and just watched the TV. I remember watching in our living room as the towers fell, and hearing my mom explain to my dad, who was at work, what was going on. Then we saw the pentagon and what happened in Pennsylvania.

I spent the rest of the day watching TV and skipping around news stations. Listening to reactions and what was going on.

I sit here now thinking about that morning and how at the time i really did not fully comprehend what was happening. It brings up all these emotions now.

I still remember the morning clearly. The sky was clear, no birds were singing, the sun was shining brightly. I thought, "What a beautiful day this is." It is strange how things so tragic can happen so quickly. I am no stranger to tragedy, but it's something I can never get used to. I don't think that we're meant to. The day it stops being a shock we've truly lost ourselves. Time may lessen the pain, but it does not erase it completely. My prayers go out to all those who have lost loved ones that day, and to those who still have loved ones in harms way. You are remembered.

I remember this day very cleary.....

Nine years ago today I was out to sea on the USS Annapolis (SSN-760). I had just gotten off to sleep after being on watch all night as a sonar supervisor when I heard people talking about stuff in New York going down.

I was to tired to really care and thought it was part of the war game we were involved in. I thought who in there right mind would put a plane through the twin towers... my home town I might add...

Then I got woken up and told to start going through our supplies and repair parts and that we were attacked. And that the twin towers were gone.... the pentagon was hit and all hell was breaking loose.. We didn't know what was going to happen and were we were going to go but we were to be ready to go.

We pulled into the base in groton ct about 3 days later and I will never forget how locked down everything was and at that point it really hit me that this was the real deal.....

I did 14 years for this country in the US Navy on submarine duty and its this day that always makes me remember why.

I love this country, and I have and will put my life on the line for it..... I wish more people would feel this way.. things might be a little better if they did..

Thank you

Nine years ago today I was out to sea on the USS Annapolis (SSN-760). I had just gotten off to sleep after being on watch all night as a sonar supervisor when I heard people talking about stuff in New York going down.

I was to tired to really care and thought it was part of the war game we were involved in. I thought who in there right mind would put a plane through the twin towers... my home town I might add...

Then I got woken up and told to start going through our supplies and repair parts and that we were attacked. And that the twin towers were gone.... the pentagon was hit and all hell was breaking loose.. We didn't know what was going to happen and were we were going to go but we were to be ready to go.

We pulled into the base in groton ct about 3 days later and I will never forget how locked down everything was and at that point it really hit me that this was the real deal.....

I did 14 years for this country in the US Navy on submarine duty and its this day that always makes me remember why.

I love this country, and I have and will put my life on the line for it..... I wish more people would feel this way.. things might be a little better if they did..

Thank you

No. Thank YOU. :)

When this was happening, I printed out about the first 20 pages of a thread that started on Honda-Tech.com and put them in a binder and stuck it on the bookshelf. I thought it would be interesting to come back 20-30 years later and read and remember what people were thinking and saying as it was happening.

I find the event very profound because its gotta be the most well documented single event in all of mans history. Sometimes I sit on Youtube and watch the videos just be amazed at how preserved this event will be from so many angles and being able to see all the emotion ppl had that day.

DSC_1541.jpg

DSC_1542.jpg

Thank you

Nah man its us that need to thank you
US Marylanders have a bit a connection with the Navy

All over the world people and governments stopped what they were doing to pray for and give a tribute to America.

The crazy thing that day was on Usenet people actually stopped flooding the groups with pr0n that day!

It took an act like that to have it happen, but basically nothing was posted for almost 24 hours as people glued themselves to their TVs.

But I love getting on Usenet on the anniversaries. Alt.binaries.multimedia.documentaries is flooded with the f-ing craziest conspiracy shit man has ever known...

Thank you

Don't thank us - let us thank you. We appreciate your sacrifice.

I remember it as a strange dream, I just got discharged from the USAF, and I thought it was some movie on TV, until one of my friends called me and told me to turn on the TV...

I still think they should have built five towers in a new yorker salute to those who would attack our country because we can not forget that our liberty is more important than any false sense of security.

RIP to all the victim of that tragedy

I hope all of their friends and family are able to move forward and are doing well today. My thoughts are with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back