Dawn of War I and II on sale at thq.com

If you only want to play MP then you should get Chaos Rising. If you want to play the campaign then you should start with the first one. The campaign in Chaos Rising builds from the first campaign and you import your characters into it.

But will Chaos Rising let you play as every faction online?

I decided after buying DoW II that it is really fun and so I just bought Chaos, because Chaos seems to beat me every time in MP. If it is true you can play multiplayer with every faction with just Chaos then I would have just bought Chaos... but o well.

Mope are you Bl4zd on Steam?

ok makes sense so then I should pick up the Gold edition for $5.00 & yes single player only at this point. I have NEVER EVER played an RTS before so its all new to me
Dawn of War 1 is traditional RTS style gaming...like Star Craft.
Dawn of War 2 is a meld of RTS and RPG elements. In the campaign you control a squad of four heroes. When you kill baddies you'll get loot and XP, but you move them around like an RTS.

The RTS MP is more similar to traditional RTS games, but there isn't much base building. The tech trees depend on the commander you choose before you start the round instead of something you build towards and through. Each unit has different aspects you can build it into on the fly, but the regular units can only build into one aspect and then that's all they can be. The commanders can build all of their various gear and you can switch it throughout the round.

It's a streamlined, action-packed version of your run-of-the-mill RTS system where the resources come from map control rather than base structures. It's that map control that is reminiscent of Company of Heroes, but not quite exactly like it if you are familiar with CoH.

Overall, I'd suggest you only get Dawn of War 2 if you haven't played any of them at all and you are interested in SP Campaign. But the Dawn of War series are worth $5 bucks in their own right. There are some really killer mods out there, too. But the engine is prehistoric and, although has aged well, doesn't stand up to more modern traditional RTS games. There isn't much of an online community left, either, despite people complaining that they didn't get the DoW they wanted in DoW2--they didn't stick around playing the original for whatever reasons.

But will Chaos Rising let you play as every faction online?

I decided after buying DoW II that it is really fun and so I just bought Chaos, because Chaos seems to beat me every time in MP. If it is true you can play multiplayer with every faction with just Chaos then I would have just bought Chaos... but o well.

Mope are you Bl4zd on Steam?
Yes, Chaos Rising lets you play as every faction online. The SP campaign in DoW 2 is worth $5 in my opinion and you can't play the first campaign without owning the first game. I think you'll be glad you bought them both for $15. If you are just interested in MP then you should wait and buy only Retribution. You'll be able to play with every faction...that's how Relic always does their expansions.

And yes, I'm BL4zD on Steam, Relicforums, and DoW2's official community forums.

I passed on the DoW games until the THQ Steam sale a few months ago. I was really surprised at how fun DoW2 was. It's damn satisfying to cut down hordes of enemies forces with your squads and commanders. The whole thing really came close to matching how I thought the table top battles would play out in 3D.

I never played the original DoW series and decided I might not like them after reading about it.

I was not too happy about the enemy units always matching your level when you level up though. But by the time people get to the end of the campaigns you are max level anyway so it doesn't matter.

*shrug* ok.. call it what you want, I just don't care. Whether you were "there" or not, I know what happened because I really was "there". Once again not getting into specifics because this is not the thread for it and plus I don't feel like typing that much. Many DoW faithfuls "didn't like or support" the game. Period.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything--its just my opinion--If you like..then fine. Enjoy the game. $7.50 dollars or even free.. I still won't load that pile on my PC. I will patiently wait for a true sequel.

Many "DoW faithfuls" as you call them just wanted DoW1 straight-up with better graphics.

I'm sorry Relic didn't cater to your particular (bland) vision of what the sequel should have been, but it's their franchise, and this is the true sequel. DoW3 will continue the evolution of the genre, so I'm guessing you'll be waiting a long time unless someone decides to port DoW1 to the Essence Engine (spoilers: never).

also: to everyone in this topic, get in the Retribution beta if you liked DoW2. There are huge improvements when it comes to interface and it finally dumps G4WL. The IG are also surprisingly well balanced for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy downloading beta now! If I would have known how good this series is I would have just skipped DoW II and Chaos and bought Retribution... but then I wouldn't have known how much I like this series so I guess it was worth it! Seriously, other developers need to take notes from (thq, reliq, or both?)! FREE beta, not no PAY FOR 7 DAY TRIAL STARCRAP! Expansions that don't require the original is genius! AND a $29.99 launch price! Also Steamworks! I never pay full price for games but these guys are earning my respect and depending on how much I like the beta I think they may deserve it.

Well I just played my first round of Retribution, and I couldn't tell a single difference as Space Marines, so I'm glad I got the first and second by the time I'm done with those Retribution should be on sale... i thought there was supposed to be bunkers, base building, etc?

I guess you didnt read mope54's post. DoW2 is not like your traditional RTS like starcraft.

Well I just played my first round of Retribution, and I couldn't tell a single difference as Space Marines, so I'm glad I got the first and second by the time I'm done with those Retribution should be on sale... i thought there was supposed to be bunkers, base building, etc?

I thought the DoW2 Retribution single player campaign was supposed to have those things, not the multi player.

I thought the DoW2 Retribution single player campaign was supposed to have those things, not the multi player.

I just read the wiki on Retribution...

Multiplayer will introduce base building to a small degree, as well as every race getting a Global Ability Advance Unit. All new units and upgrades for the five pre-existing races in Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising will not need to players who owns the original Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising, upon the release of Retribution - all six race will be available in Multiplayer

So I guess theres a minimal amount of building. I havent played it yet, maybe I'll try the beta.

Back