Dawn of War I and II on sale at thq.com

I thought I saw the gold edition for $5 on there. My work computer can't access the page so I can't really verify.

EDIT: Doh, you're right, DoW II is 7.50. Still a decent price for a damn good game.

Metro 2033 is $10. Anyone know if you can activate it on Steam if you buy at THQ?

Metro 2033 is $10. Anyone know if you can activate it on Steam if you buy at THQ?

Yes, in fact you need Steam for it to work. It is a Steamworks game, I bought it a few months ago from them for $12.50 and it activates just fine, just like you bought it from Steam itself.

Yes, in fact you need Steam for it to work. It is a Steamworks game, I bought it a few months ago from them for $12.50 and it activates just fine, just like you bought it from Steam itself.

Thanks! In for Chaos Rising and Metro 2033.

Does Chaos Rising activate on Steam? I know vanilla DoWII does, but Steam's page doesn't explicitly say whether or not that applies to all the games in the series.

Does Chaos Rising activate on Steam? I know vanilla DoWII does, but Steam's page doesn't explicitly say whether or not that applies to all the games in the series.

Yep, I assumed that did, and it indeed does. You just get the keys on checkout and add them to your steam library.

Sweet I bought DoW2 CR during the steam sale and never got DoW2 now I can play the freakin other classes.

Picked up Metro 2033, activated on Steam and downloading it right now. Thanks!

How is the THQ store though? Download limts? Download time limit? DRM used? Patching method? Format method (for instance D2D games often don't work with certain mods)?

How is the THQ store though? Download limts? Download time limit? DRM used? Patching method? Format method (for instance D2D games often don't work with certain mods)?

For the games mentioned in this thread (2033 and DoW 2), you just activate the codes on Steam and them like any other Steam game.

Darksiders is also 10$..

and is a Steam required game.

I can't believe how fun DoW II is and I never noticed it before.... is it possible to play online co-op (not lan)? Where can I find people to play online co-op with? (I don't have any friends on Live :( )

Thanks mope.

Would it be worth it to buy Chaos Rising as well? I thought I read retribution will unlock all classes?

Retribution is a bit different.

Dow 2 and Chaos Rising were using Games for Windows Live. However for Retribution relic is switching completely to Steam. So they are no longer compatible with each other.

Retribution has all 5 races for multiplayer, and a campaign for each. But you can't play with Dow2/Chaos Rising people or vice versa.

Chaos Rising lets you play Chaos in multiplayer, and a continued Space Marine campaign. But you won't be able to play with Retribution owners.

I just read this:

"It may be called an expansion, but you get to play as all six races in multiplayer, full access to Last Stand and campaigns for all six races. You don't need the original Dawn of War II or Chaos Rising to play Retribution to its fullest. On the plus side it's also priced at an expansion. It's definitely worth checking out."

:( So I just payed 7.50 for nothing? It says it includes campaigns for every race, including the campaign I just payed for with DoW II?

I just read this:

"It may be called an expansion, but you get to play as all six races in multiplayer, full access to Last Stand and campaigns for all six races. You don't need the original Dawn of War II or Chaos Rising to play Retribution to its fullest. On the plus side it's also priced at an expansion. It's definitely worth checking out."

:( So I just payed 7.50 for nothing? It says it includes campaigns for every race, including the campaign I just payed for with DoW II?
If you are only out to play the MP then you should just wait for Retribution...Relic always makes their expansions backwards compatible for MP. This time they are changing from GFWL to Steamworks so there won't be the backwards compatibility with the previous two games.

There will be campaigns for each race in this expansion, but I don't think it'll be the same as the first two campaigns. The first two games' campaigns were the Space Marines and the Space Marines continued (with the ability to become tainted).

I suspect the SM campaign in Retribution will be either an entirely different story arc or the third in the series.

My personal recommendation is that you buy both this time and either grab Retribution on launch if you think the game is that compelling or wait for one of these great sales one day as they are sure to come.

I bought both of the first two with a pre-order so I've spent about $120. It was worth it to me so I think a $5 dollar grab (or even $15) is totally value packed.

You will only be able to play co-op from this one you bought with others who own it so you definitely didn't waste your money. Play it for a bit, if you like the campaign you'll know whether you should grab the next for $5. The Last Stand is worth the $5 alone in my opinion and I suspect that tons of people will continue to play the first two for a long time still.

Thanks a lot mope. I'm not just out for the MP, I think I am going to have a lot of fun with this campaign, I just didn't want it to be included with retribution and I could have just bought that instead of this. Since it's probably how you say I will probably pick up Chaos Rising also for $5 just to play the campaign.

I still haven't finished the entire campaign so if you want to play we can play together. It's fun but different friends kept playing so I kept restarting the campaign and then school took over :( Add me on steam, I'm the admin for the codex group I linked.

Even for $5 I wouldn't buy anything related to DoWII. I absolutely adored the original series and all expansions. DoWII is way too different and meaningless. It's Company of Heroes with a skin.

Oh boy, I was wondering when we'd start seeing the "it sucks because it's not exactly the same as DoW1!" posts.

And no, it's not CoH with a skin. They share a FEW gameplay elements, but other than that they're completely different. Go away with your baseless exaggerations.

even if true (although it's not even close), a CoH 40K reskin is worth $5 to any true DoW fan.
Dark Prodigy's assessment otherwise is just silly talk.

Oh boy, I was wondering when we'd start seeing the "it sucks because it's not exactly the same as DoW1!" posts.

And no, it's not CoH with a skin. They share a FEW gameplay elements, but other than that they're completely different. Go away with your baseless exaggerations.

even if true (although it's not even close), a CoH 40K reskin is worth $5 to any true DoW fan.
Dark Prodigy's assessment otherwise is just silly talk.

Being the DoW fan that I am (tabletop series too when I was younger) I was in an early DoWII closed alpha release and played the closed beta for 2 weeks straight. Believe me I TRIED to like DoWII.. I won't go into specifics because it could get quite lengthy but MY OPINION (shared by many other beta testers) was that it lost the essence of the original series. To put it mildly, we lost 55% of our testers in 3 days..yeah, like that.

Call it silly or baseless... don't really care. But I did care about DoWII at one point, now I just hope the next series will return it to its original glory.

Being the DoW fan that I am (tabletop series too when I was younger) I was in an early DoWII closed alpha release and played the closed beta for 2 weeks straight. Believe me I TRIED to like DoWII.. I won't go into specifics because it could get quite lengthy but MY OPINION (shared by many other beta testers) was that it lost the essence of the original series. To put it mildly, we lost 55% of our testers in 3 days..yeah, like that.

Call it silly or baseless... don't really care. But I did care about DoWII at one point, now I just hope the next series will return it to its original glory.

Well I loved CoH so I would be pissed if I paid for a clone... but it's not and I'm having a lot of fun with it, mostly because it is very simple and you jump right into the action without having to learn anything. Some times I like to think, sometimes I just like to have fun.

To put it mildly, we lost 55% of our testers in 3 days..yeah, like that.
This is bullshit because I was there.

There weren't many complaints until after the first patch. Just a few things needed tweaking and we never lost half the testers unless you count how many "testers" didn't bother to buy the game.

If you were or are a tabletop fan, why wouldn't you try the Codex edition of DoW2. DoW1 doesn't play like the tabletop version anyway unless you mod it, either, so I have no idea why you'd try and convince people here that one would be related to the other.

It's clearly built on the same engine as CoH which is obvious from the graphics, the cover, and the per unit special abilities.

Personally, I loved CoH and the way units worked so this is a win to me. DoW2 is essentially an RTS/RPG hybrid, which I would like to see more of. You have different types of units, they level up and you can change their equipment. You get nice drops from bosses and missions, and random drops from regular enemies.

DoW1 was just another base building, tank rush RTS to me. The only thing that made it stand out at all is that it was Warhammer 40k, which in and of itself does not attract me to the game.

Bottom line is if you're looking for something different in the RTS world, give DoW2 a try. It's only $7.50+$5 and uniqueness in games is rather uncommon anymore. If you're looking for more Command and Conquer, steer away.

If you're looking for a table top simulator, email Firaxis and see if they'll make Civilization: Warhammer 40k edition. :p

It's clearly built on the same engine as CoH which is obvious from the graphics, the cover, and the per unit special abilities.
If you want to talk semantics, CoH is built on an improved version of the DoW engine, which itself is probably based on the Homeworld engine.

I jumped on the DoW2 game for $7.50. I used to play DoW and it was a fun game. I remember trying DoW2 and didnt like it at first because of the way they changed it from the traditional mining and build RTS game but after playing it for a few hours now I'm having fun.

This is bullshit because I was there.

*shrug* ok.. call it what you want, I just don't care. Whether you were "there" or not, I know what happened because I really was "there". Once again not getting into specifics because this is not the thread for it and plus I don't feel like typing that much. Many DoW faithfuls "didn't like or support" the game. Period.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything--its just my opinion--If you like..then fine. Enjoy the game. $7.50 dollars or even free.. I still won't load that pile on my PC. I will patiently wait for a true sequel.

the original game was released two years ago, almost to the day.

the closed beta was vastly different from the retail version and the patches since then have changed the game so much that it's not close to either version. I'm aware that a small subset of whiners are still complaining that they didn't get a DoW2 served SC2 style, but that's not the majority nor even a sizeable minority. It sounds like SC2 is more your style anyway, so good for you it's finally released. Seems like you could be spending your time building structures over in that game instead of shitting all over this thread.

for someone who has never played dawn of war would it be best to play them all or could I just grab Chaos rising or will I be confused lol. Been looking to get into this style of game what is the best DoW

for someone who has neverp layed dawn of war would it be best to play them all or could I just grab Chaos rising or will I be confused lol. Been looking to get into this style of game what is the best DoW
If you only want to play MP then you should get Chaos Rising. If you want to play the campaign then you should start with the first one. The campaign in Chaos Rising builds from the first campaign and you import your characters into it.

ok makes sense so then I should pick up the Gold edition for $5.00 & yes single player only at this point. I have NEVER EVER played an RTS before so its all new to me

Features both the award winning Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War Game of The Year Edition and the highly anticipated expansion pack Winter Assault.

Back