Datacenter Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotSoSimple

[H]F Junkie
We moved the IT/Engineering/Apps Departments from the 2nd to the 3rd floor. With that comes a brand new datacenter.

datacenter1.jpg

After the conduit was ran in the cieling, walls finished, and ceiling 75% done.

datacenter2.jpg

Another angle of above

datacenter3.jpg

Our 2nd floor switch/patch panel temporarily.

datacenter4.jpg

Conduit. Thought it would be cool to see it fill up throughout the process.

datacenter5.jpg

Walls and ceiling done, and the raised floor is beginning.

datacenter6.jpg

Looking good! Raised floor.

datacenter7.jpg

Another angle of the raised floor.

datacenter8.jpg

Taken today. Floor and ramp done

datacenter9.jpg

Our cabling contractor wastes no time. 2 Racks/Patch Panels for the phones, since they are getting switched over this weekend.

datacenter10.jpg

To the entry.

datacenter11.jpg

Neat cabling work, couldnt have done it better, that's why they do it.

datacenter12.jpg

Part of our Liebert UPS system. We are also getting a Diesel Gen. hooked up this weekend. Transformer and breaker panel.

datacenter13.jpg

Close up of the beastly transformer. That thing packs a punch!

datacenter14.jpg

Dedicated breakers for the data center.

datacenter15.jpg

You can see the primary power in the back left, going directly to the Liebert system.

datacenter16.jpg

Conduit filling up.

Soon we will be getting the rest of the racks put in, our Liebert system finished off, move the servers, and then our 20TB Hitachi SAN system :D

:eek: me likey fwap fwap fwap like more pictures please... Any way that is pretty cool I wish more places put IT as important. Sadly most don't understand the need until there shit is melting down and money is going out the window.

KM

Looks good. What does this company do?
I gotta wonder why they would put a hard ceiling in, when cables run through it...where do those 2 conduits end up? Also I did not see any pull strings for future runs.

Just an observation, you do know there is a wall jutting out at the top of your ramp right? That may become a pain in the ass when hauling up large equipment such as a tape library.

Looks good other than that.

Another question is your company using swipe cards to gain access to the room or just lock and key? We have proximity cards on our room pretty sweet.

KM

Another question is your company using swipe cards to gain access to the room or just lock and key? We have proximity cards on our room pretty sweet.

To gain access to the 2nd floor it is swipe cards. Then you have to go through 2 more doors to get to the data center. There will be a swipe card outside the data center once they get it finished.

Just an observation, you do know there is a wall jutting out at the top of your ramp right? That may become a pain in the ass when hauling up large equipment such as a tape library. Looks good other than that.

Heh yeah, nothing we could do. There is tons of copper piping for the plumbing that we could not reroute. We have already measured that the largest of equipment we have will fit on the ramp.

Looks good. What does this company do?
I gotta wonder why they would put a hard ceiling in, when cables run through it...where do those 2 conduits end up? Also I did not see any pull strings for future runs.

Company is an alternative energy company, mainly ethanol, coal based synfuel, and coal waste recycling. Yeah the hard ceiling is weird. It was a false ceiling before this. The conduits run to the 3rd floor (Also our property) and will house all voice/data cables for that floor. Not sure why there isnt any pull strings. They would be easy to put in though as the closet upstairs is just a straight pipe down.

:eek: me likey fwap fwap fwap like more pictures please... Any way that is pretty cool I wish more places put IT as important. Sadly most don't understand the need until there shit is melting down and money is going out the window.
KM

Yeah we are going at it pretty strong. Just the figures I know off of my head; $20k for dedicated HVAC, $80k for complete recabling, $50k for the SAN (We got it for $25k though, yay for CIO's that are hooked up). Don't know the cost of the other stuff lol.

We are about 80% on schedule as of today. We are planning on moving everything Satuday AM..Problem is the building people are dragging there feet and the AC guys just started working. They need 2 full days to evacuate and recharge the AC system, so we are kind of in a wait and see motion. There contingency plan is to wait until Dec 7th if we cant do it this weekend, or move anyway and put our temporary AC units in. I said we might have heat issues since the room is about 5x as big as the old room, no one listens. Edit: Oh yeah just got notice, the main part of the AC Unit is probobly not going to fit on the elevator, and might not make it up the stairs. Time to take it apart boys..

The Liebert UPS System is being installed as I type this and will be done today. I am kind of concerned as the shock sensor was busted up. CIO said install it anyway, so I had to get it done.

Halon system is being reinstalled also. Lots of progress today.Will update with some pics tonight if I can.

Since they are changing over the power (Outlets not live) we are using a heavy gauge ext cord for our switch. They unplugged it twice today. I let everyone know NOT to and if they need then notify one of us first..yeah that didnt happen...Fun.

I analyze security for a living- one thing I wondered about is how are you going to keep people from crawling through the suspended ceiling or simply punching through the partition wall? Also, who authorized posting pictures of it online? I'd strongly suggest doing otherwise if your company was a client of mine. I'd be pretty annoyed, but would try to keep it polite for the sake of professionalism.

Don't answer any of those questions, especially on a public forum, but do consider your answers.

This thread is almost as poorly considered as "Post Your Network Diagram" or any of the other "show off what I have worth stealing" threads. If you don't understand why on your own, my explanation wouldn't help.

I analyze security for a living- one thing I wondered about is how are you going to keep people from crawling through the suspended ceiling or simply punching through the partition wall? Also, who authorized posting pictures of it online? I'd strongly suggest doing otherwise if your company was a client of mine. I'd be pretty annoyed, but would try to keep it polite for the sake of professionalism.

Don't answer any of those questions, especially on a public forum, but do consider your answers.

This thread is almost as poorly considered as "Post Your Network Diagram" or any of the other "show off what I have worth stealing" threads. If you don't understand why on your own, my explanation wouldn't help.

I kinda agree with this as well to a point. Also most of the office data centers like that I have seen in the past have a window in them so people can see what is going on in them.

Anyway looks like it is comming along nice so far.

Yep, no cameras allowed in our company's datacenter. If caught, you=fired.

This thread...well...it would be ugly.

i work in a datacenter. I thought this was cool post of how the raised floor is put together. Pictures aren't really welcome here either, but I have some.

You might as well call the "Post your Workstation 2007" thread a shithole too. What are the chances of someone crawling through the ceiling for access to a datacenter, or even "punching" the wall? 1/324893284932849024.

You might as well call the "Post your Workstation 2007" thread a shithole too. What are the chances of someone crawling through the ceiling for access to a datacenter, or even "punching" the wall? 1/324893284932849024.

Funny you should ask such a question.

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2007/Nov/04/armed_robbery_at_chicago_data_center.html

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid80_gci1281325,00.html

According to a published report, CI Host chief corporate counsel James Eckels hinted that the robbery might have been an inside job, saying, "The thieves were likely familiar with the building layout, the company's operations and the technology involved."

...Just like the 300+ people that have viewed this thread. :D

According to reports, CI Host's night manager was attacked last week by intruders and assaulted with a Taser and blunt object. The perpetrators then stole at least 20 servers belonging to CI Host and its customers.

ROFL. Some good security personnel they have there.

Granted its probably not the best idea to be posting pictures of a data center online. At the same time.. if someone REALLY wants to get in, they are going to get in, it doesnt matter if your datacenter is protected by guards with machine guns, they can still be gotten around.

On another note. Awesome looking datacenter.. now if only I could talk my boss into spending that kind of money on a new DC. But alas, like someone said, that isnt going to happen until our current server rack is on fire or melting, or both.

What are the chances of someone crawling through the ceiling for access to a datacenter, or even "punching" the wall? 1/324893284932849024.

The chances are good. With millions of dollars in equipment (not to mention priceless information on customers or compeditors), it's litterally a gold mine.

We built our datacenter like a bunker, you have a few feet of reinforced concrete to tunnel through with multiple security systems overlapping. You are only as secure as your weakest point, thus you take no chances.

Anyways, this is a cool little data center, a little small, but cool. I would have prefered to see a solo installation and not a office data center (fire reasons mainly), but I assume you guys have offsite backups or even a mirrored location?

Any particular reason you guys chose a raised floor for such a small space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back