Data Recovery NEED HELP

havokator

Limp Gawd
I have a 2tb hard drive that just went bad. The partition basically disappeared. It is still running, but I can't get to the data on the drive. I have tried running a couple different diagnostic tools such as DiskGenius, DiskDigger, and RAW Copy from Hirens BootCD, but I haven't had any success getting at the files on the drive. Also, chkdsk doesn't seem to work because it can't detect the partition. I just want to recover the raw files on the drive. Is there a software program you would recommend for recovering data files from a drive?

Also, is there a program I can use to make an exact copy of the drive onto another drive so I can work on that one in case my original drive goes bad? I tried using RAW Copy but Im not sure if that worked.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: I just remember that before the drive got corrupted, I was getting a "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error message. Could this be a clue to what happened?

Last edited:
R-Studio should (hopefully) do what you're after.

+1
r-studio has saved me a couple of times.
not sure if r-studio does mirror copying of damaged drives but is should recover most of your data short of head trashed platters.

I have a 2tb hard drive that just went bad. The partition basically disappeared. It is still running, but I can't get to the data on the drive. I have tried running a couple different diagnostic tools such as DiskGenius, DiskDigger, and RAW Copy from Hirens BootCD, but I haven't had any success getting at the files on the drive. Also, chkdsk doesn't seem to work because it can't detect the partition. I just want to recover the raw files on the drive. Is there a software program you would recommend for recovering data files from a drive?

Also, is there a program I can use to make an exact copy of the drive onto another drive so I can work on that one in case my original drive goes bad? I tried using RAW Copy but Im not sure if that worked.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: I just remember that before the drive got corrupted, I was getting a "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error message. Could this be a clue to what happened?

simple.
Boot up with a boot disk with ntfs get data back and partition table dr on.
All you do is run ntfs for a min or 2 then press stop. Look for the index.dat then save it to a flash stick.

Run partition table dr 3 then use the replace index function and replace the current one with the one you recovered. The whole contents of the drive should be back.

Now if its due to a bad drive. You'll have to run spinrite on it. That's the only app that will do it.

what does spinrite do?
Continually reads and re-reads the same bad platter areas in an attempt to recover the data in those areas.

AFAIK it doesn't actually fix anything and if the mechanics of your drive aren't able to take the stress it may actually hurt more than help in a recovery attempt.

For me, Spinrite is pretty much a last ditch effort for "damaged area" recovery attempts.

I feel people recommend it way to much and it's not even good for mechanical problems.

Edit....You do not want to use Spinrite.

Back