Data Mining In Minecraft Digs Up Dark Secrets

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
A Minecraft player named Matt B., whose Reddit username is “worldseed,” is data-mining old servers in search of players’ darkest secrets. Matt wrote two programs in Java: BookReader.jar and SignReader.jar. These applications scan a Minecraft map for every book and sign left behind by players. They then dump all these messages into a text file that Matt can search. Each log entry contains the exact in-game coordinates of the written document. Matt told Motherboard, while most of the notes are related to things done in game, he has come across memorials for deceased players, writings of depression and suicide on a server that had been closed for 5 years, to a diary written from the perspective of a chicken found buried underground.

This is quite fascinating to me. Matt B. AKA "worldseed" has started the MinecraftDataMining subreddit for people interested in seeing more, and has enlisted 30 volunteers to help his efforts. While I never got into Minecraft, I can understand where having a world you built be a place to keep personal thoughts.

Matt’s data-mining efforts were inspired by an unsolved mystery from his days treasure-hunting in Minecraft. Around 2011, a player reportedly hid a treasure chest containing 64 diamonds somewhere on the Aperture Games Minecraft Server. But the chest never turned up, and the lore of unclaimed loot lingered in the back of his mind for the next seven years. In hopes of finding the missing jewels, Matt wrote the two programs in Java.

This is actually pretty neat. It's like finding diaries of people from a decade ago and putting them out in the public for everyone to read.

Very cool, its like a digital time capsule for Minecraft players. Although reading a lot of what he finds is sort of depressing....

The signs are always out there. Minecraft is just the medium. Digging into people's "darkest secrets" sounds very unappealing to me.

Back