• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Data Migration..RAID 0/RAID 5 to new mobo

Dark Prodigy

Jawbreaker
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
2,803
Need to migrate my previous RAID 0 & RAID 5 array to a new motherboard. Old motherboard died on me.

RAID 0 - OS
RAID 5 - storage and stuff on a RocketRaid 2310 PCI-e 4x


The new motherboard does NOT have a PCI-e 4x slot... however it has 3 PCI-e 16x slots. It says that it can be configured in 8x/8x/4x when SLi is used (yes i will be using SLi). I'm thinking I won't have any issues moving the RocketRaid Raid 5 over... just plug it in and load the drivers--and the array should still be intact. Still wondering if the 16x slot will give me problems plugging a 4x card into it....

My main concern is moving my RAID 0 array to a new motherboard. Before anyone asks.. NO I did not have it backed up properly. And I'm paying for it. The backup I have is months old and I added a SLEW of important programs on it since... can't afford to lose type of programs.

Will my new motherboard (which does have RAID 0 for its SATA ports) recognize my array (when I configure it in the BIOS of course)? My old and new motherboards are different brands, will I have problems? Will I have driver issues with the old motherboard's drivers and ports being on the RAID 0 disks?
 
Rocketraid will be fine, the RAID0 will only work if the two motherboards use the same raid chipset / software raid / etc.

So Intel raid to Intel, NVIDIA raid to NVIDIA, etc. You can't go Intel to NVIDIA or the other way, the raid will not be seen. Just to name a few for the example.
 
Rocketraid will be fine, the RAID0 will only work if the two motherboards use the same raid chipset / software raid / etc.

So Intel raid to Intel, NVIDIA raid to NVIDIA, etc. You can't go Intel to NVIDIA or the other way, the raid will not be seen. Just to name a few for the example.


Fuuuucckkkk.... My old board used nVidia RAID. My potential new board (haven't bought it yet) uses some sort of AMD SB950 SATA RAID Controller. Oh well, this new board seemed to have all I needed too..
 
What is your old mobo? Perhaps you can find one cheap?

Tried that already... its a Supermicro H8DCE-O.... old and expensive.....


nVidia doesn't make chipsets anymore. I wonder if there are any newer motherboards that are compatible with the old nForce chipsets. It would seem any chipset that supports SLi might work..
 
What elfboy suggested, even if you have to buy that to recover your data, i'd say it's worth it.
 
What elfboy suggested, even if you have to buy that to recover your data, i'd say it's worth it.

I built a system for my nephew with that mobo for Christmas last year. Check the compatible CPU list closely. I thought I could put in an older Athlon x2 and ended up buying a new cpu at the last minute.
 
What elfboy suggested, even if you have to buy that to recover your data, i'd say it's worth it.

This is exactly what I'm doing. And it was a great suggestion by elfboy. However, I will have to buy a cheap compatible CPU and a stick of ram.
 
This is exactly what I'm doing. And it was a great suggestion by elfboy. However, I will have to buy a cheap compatible CPU and a stick of ram.

Make a nice linux play box or back up system anyways..... or a gift for a younger relative.
 
Just FYI, I was able to migrate my RAID 5 from a Foxconn 790GX motherboard to a Gigabyte 990FX motherboard without issues.
 
Just FYI, I was able to migrate my RAID 5 from a Foxconn 790GX motherboard to a Gigabyte 990FX motherboard without issues.
FYI, the chipset manfg (AMD) is the same for both those boards. When you start trying to swap arrays between chipset manfgs it's a problem. ;)
 
I liked the question about a 4X PCIe card in a 16X port. PCIe is a very smart technology, any card can go into any port (well, sometimes smaller ports need a small modification, or can't be used with a full length card because a component of the MB gets in the way).
 
Back
Top