Data loss craziness???

Hmmm, ok, I'm not a hard drive expert, but it's not exactly clear to me why it's Apple's fault for what sounds like an obvious hardware issue with the Seagate drives... Read/write heads detaching inside the drive isn't something that Apple can fix, I'd think.

That said, CRAP my MBP's hard drive matches the described specs exactly.

I think although it's not Apple's fault for the crappy hard drive and the possible outcome that could come out of this, it's still their product as a WHOLE. Like Sony manufactured batteries exploding, Apple silently recalled those batteries to be exchanged, and they should do that for people who have matching hard drive model numbers. I think you would like that to happen ;)

I definitely would, but the way the article is written, it's accusing Apple of being lazy and not recalling the drives when I think that Apple recalling the drives should only happen after Seagate has confirmed it as a consistent issue. That said, looking at the Ars forum thread related to this, it looks like a number of people can vouch that these drives have problems.

*crosses fingers*

The bug is with a pre-release version of 10.5, you will never encounter this with a legally obtained copy.

P.S. Who the hell unplugs a drive during the middle of a copy?

The bug is with a pre-release version of 10.5, you will never encounter this with a legally obtained copy.

Most definitely. Apple has implemented their seagate hard drive self destruction code, that causes read/write heads to physically detach and destroy your drive.. Did you even read TFA? :rolleyes:

As for the bug you are talking about, with the moving of files, and your oh-so-insightful comment about detaching a drive during a copy- you ever had a network drive disappear on you? The concern over the move files bug was never over detaching a hard drive- it was in losing connection to a mounted network volume, which is quite a common occurrence. And it has nothing to do with pre-release- several have reported it on legal, fresh installs of 10.5.0, over Tiger. It is a very bad bug, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

What does obtaining a illegal version of Leopard have to do with this bug? Did you read the article?

Again stuff happens and the fact that it is not limited to just plug and play drives. YEESH.

I'm sure the HD is covered under warranty.

Apple does not cover data loss, neither does anyone else that I know of(regardless of the cause). Everyone should be performing regular backups.

Hmm, apple is cheaping out on hard drives... whats next?

Apple's price so high because they are supposed to have "the best" hardware. Seems like they're following suit that PC manufacturers are doing and cheaping out to raise profits.

Um what?!?

Seagate makes pretty damn good drives--they're often quite quiet and their warranty is the best among common manufacturers (5 years).

They're definitely not perfect, but I dare you to find a consumer hard drive manufacturer that hasn't had past models with similar hardware issues.

This is definitely not Apple being cheap.

I asked a lot of people in my lecture hall today and seems like, well the techno geeks like me told me, that the hard drives that died in their Macbooks all had either model number.

Kinda scary since I asked a whole bunch of people who really didn't know each other. Well only time will tell now I believe.

Crap, that is the exact hard drive I have in my MacBook. Now I can't make any more excuses and have to go out and buy a bigger and faster drive. ;)

Hmm, apple is cheaping out on hard drives... whats next?

Apple's price so high because they are supposed to have "the best" hardware. Seems like they're following suit that PC manufacturers are doing and cheaping out to raise profits.

Seagate is not a bad company by any means.

Back