Data Breach Exposes 3.5 Million Addresses, SSNs

HardOCP News

[H] News
The state of Texas would like you to know that your information has been exposed for over a year now on a public server. What kind of personal information? Little stuff, like names, birthdays, addresses, social security numbers and driver’s license numbers. :eek:

The state comptroller says the data, from the state teacher retirement system, workforce commission and employee retirement system, wound up on a public server after each agency violated state policy by transferring unencrypted data between January and May 2010. The info was yanked off the server after it was discovered at the end of last month.

A girl I had been friends with since around 12 or 13 died of Cancer May 1st 2009. I was unable to talk with her mother due to her crying, a very difficult moment as she told me her daughter had died over the phone. Over those next few days I tried to find her obituary on the internet and instead, I found her date of death along with her social security number. Which, until now thought was normal. It so happens she lived in Arlington Texas. I wonder if she is one of the 3.5 million.

A month or two ago there was a company fined for a privacy lapse like this and there were even talk about criminal charges, let's see if the government treats itself the same way.

I had an experience quite a few years back where UC Berkeley told me my personal information "may have" been compromised (California law requires them to say something), when a laptop with said information was stolen/misplaced. Funny, but this was simply my admission info when I tried to get into there for grad school (and was denied), some 7 years after the fact. I mean really you're keeping my information for 7 fucking years and I never even got in?

But it warms me so, when you hear about how you should protect your information, and how its a long sometimes expensive job to fix the problem, when the reality is that it's probably not your fault someone stole you identity, and all these data houses whether their private or government have absolutely no liability when they have breaches in their security allowing your personal data to go out there. Imagine if it was their job to fix everything, imagine if they were held liable for the damages that occur as a result.

I had an experience quite a few years back where UC Berkeley told me my personal information "may have" been compromised (California law requires them to say something), when a laptop with said information was stolen/misplaced.

That happened tom me too but it was a hospital computer that was stolen. They claimed our info was safe though because it was password protected. Just the fact they would claim that goes to show how dumb these people are and can not be trusted with our info.

Back