Das or Ducky?

Discussion in 'Mice and Keyboards' started by FireBean, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Wolf

Mr. Wolf [H]ardness Supreme

Whenever I use a tenkeyless board I also keep a separate number pad with me should I need it. It's amazing how much more comfortable it is to have the mouse 4-5 inches closer to the board when gaming.

2. Objekt

Objekt Limp Gawd

I guess that makes sense. I have a huge desktop (the great computer desk with the funny name, Ikea Jerker), so space isn't an issue for me.

I have a Nostromo n52, so I don't even really use the main keyboard for gaming.

3. shadyqwerty

shadyqwerty Gawd

Does the mechanical tire u out more? What cherry mx color do u use? (if cherry) I'm trying to decide between brown or red.

!!!!! :eek:

I've been eyeballing the red version on their site, but it's double that. :/

Blue or red?

Yup, Im always crunching up that keyboard against the mouse pad. Gonna dremel that num lock off one of these days...they should have made it detachable like the old dinovos.

The shine does look nice. I just wish they made it in a ten key or detachable num lock or separate num lock would be fine too.

4. Haiku214

Haiku214 [H]ard|Gawd

Since I'm using browns atm, I am looking towards trying out blue next.

5. Impulse

Impulse [H]ardForum Junkie

I've tried out blues before and liked them for typing but just didn't think I (or my housemates) would enjoy living with the noise, wasn't crazy about them for gaming either... Recently I bought two keyboards with browns and reds, Rosewill & K90, liked them both for what they are but frankly the brown switches were underwhelming.

A lot of people seem to describe them as a good middle ground between reds/blacks & blues but frankly they just feel a lot closer to the former, at least to me, and I don't really hammer the keys very hard. Typing quickly I can barely notice the tactile bump on the browns tho, so they're fine for gaming imo and just as quiet as reds really (note that they're all gonna be loud if you bottom out constantly) but I'd rather have the smoother feeling reds.

This is all highly subjective but I'd say if you really want that tactile feel, just go blue; otherwise go with linear switches. Either way they can be loud if you bottom out (unless you dampen them) but it's a different kind of racket and some people can train themselves not to bottom out. I'm really liking the smooth linear feel of the reds.

6. purple_haze

purple_haze 2[H]4U

i tried the red linears for the k60 today at microcenter. The feel for the keyboard is more like a rubberdome keyboard. I rather have the tactile feel of the mx cherry browns or blues.

7. Impulse

Impulse [H]ardForum Junkie

It's still nothing like rubber domes imo... Domes offer some resistance at the top and then the dome bends in and you get a mushy sort of travel until you bottom out, because you have to in order to actuate the key (and because it'd be hard not to after pressing hard enough to bend the dome).

All cherry switches regardless of type actuate halfway thru key travel and require mostly the same force thru the entire key travel as well. They all end with a crisp clank as you bottom out too, at least when plate mounted (the majority).

Personally I find browns pretty hard to distinguish from reds when I'm typing quickly, as I said before, if you want that prominent click (key actuates) clack (bottoms out) you definitely want blues.

8. Haiku214

Haiku214 [H]ard|Gawd

I've tried the k60 and k90 and didn't like the red switches. No tactile feel at all. I am also not impressed with the quality of the keycaps of the corsair keyboards.

9. anakin357

anakin357 [H]ard|Gawd

For me.... Razer BlackWidow mx blue (regular) at home, mx brown (silent) at work. Not the ultimate version, didn't want the rubbery, flake-off keycaps. I've been using them both for a several months and they're both quite nice in my opinion.

The mx blue/regular version is a fingerprint magnet, I wish they would come out with a matte surface for this one. The software is really damn good if you don't want or need to spend time figuring out how to write autohotkey scripts. It took all of 20 seconds to unbind capslock and set a macro button to launch a program, not bad. Macro keys got in the way for a few days, then my hands learned how to deal with it, I never think about it.

10. Deads0uls

Deads0uls Limp Gawd

Loving my DAS. I have one for work and home. Awesome stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.