DAS and NAS?

Dangman

Ninja Editor SuperMod
Hello,

I'm looking for a DAS that could also double as a NAS. I like to share as well as backup files among my friends and family whenever I visit them. There have been many occasions where I needed one or the other. So now I'm looking for a device that can do both so that A) I can save space, B) easier organization of my files, and C) share and backup files via most interfaces.

The main things I'm looking for in a NAS/DAS combo device:
- Gigabit LAN
- USB and eSATA support
- Support for at least 4 hard drives
- Support for Linux and Windows
- Around $250 sans hard drive.
- Options to have each hard drive show up as individuals

Secondary things I'm looking for:
- Hot-swap capability
- Inclusion of eSATA adapter
- Support for JBOD.
- Comes with a hard drive already included

Tertiary things I'm looking for:
- Under $100
- Maybe WHS?
- Support for Mac OSX

The closest I've seen something that fits all of my needs has been the Drobo + Droboshare. But the price is too high for my blood and it does not have eSATA

If I can do this with an old PC, by all means, I'd like to hear how to do it.

Build PC to spec. Can be done with good components for < $300 that will support up to 6 disks (Intel DG43NB, Celeron E1500). Install FreeNAS or OpenFiler on an IDE DOM or USB flash disk. Profit.

So Freenas and Openfiler can be used as a DAS via USB and eSata or basically an external hard drive?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I dont really see how you could make a DAS easily.
especially USB because its not a two-way interface.

First off stay away from the Drobo products, they are complete trash.
Secondly I dont see how you could possibly get or make this for $100.

A couple of items that I do like:
Synology DS409slim
QNAP TS-409

Both have good reviews on smallnetbuilder.com

Thats a really good place to look for nas das reviews as well as very complete performance testing.

So Freenas and Openfiler can be used as a DAS via USB and eSata or basically an external hard drive?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

No, sorry. I thought you were looking for one or the other. Either solution is NAS/SAN. DAS is difficult to do, if not impossible, with regular PC hardware. I haven't heard of a SATA device controller card available on the market. USB might be possible, but it's slow and crappy, just use GigE.

I was really looking into a Drobo until I found out they use a proprietary file system.

Back