Darn! E6400 running at 70C after 7 mins of orthos at 2.6 GHz.

OsageCowboy

Limp Gawd
Granted, it's stock cooling, but this may not be sustainable.

Temp fluctuates from as high as 71 to as low as 65. Any suggestions? Turn fan on max all the time? Get a new fan? Stop the 2.6 GHz overclock?

Do these things often start out high and then settle at a lower temp? Any advice you can give for getting the CPU temp down via the BIOS or within Windows or by using utlities is greatly appreciated.

my voltage is only at 1.34, and I have it set to auto via the BIOS. my presumption is that upping the voltage to 1.375 would increase my temps, but I could be incorrect. thoughts?

so that shouldn't have anything to do with the voltage then? is it the case that more voltage = more temp?

Yes, but unless you're running about 1.5v through it, it shouldn't get that hot at that speed.

dammit now I'm torn about what to do! after playing FSX for an hour, temps settled in the 60C range; granted shouldn't be that hot at this speed probably, especially with the Nine Hundred keeping the interior ~22C.

i HATE messing with that HSF garbage and those 4 connectors are hard as hell to manipulate. (a) i could attempt to fix those; (b) go buy a better fan; or (c) do nothing, realizing that the PC can run games fine and without any issue at 60C. thoughts, suggestions?

crazy. it goes from 70C at full load on the CPU stress in orthos to 57C a second or two after the stress is off. is that even possible!? from 70 to 55 in literally 2 seconds?

Yes, it internal temp diode is extreamly responsive, you will notice that it will rise almost as quickly if the computer is already warmed up and you start stress testing, not quite as fast as it has to overcome the "inertia" of the extra heat capacity of the HS.

Up to you, thats not a dangerous temp but 60C is my personal max confort zone. Also this summer it might run a bit hotter depending on room temps. So there is no rush but I would invest in a decent HS when you feel like tearing it apart again.

I really think you need to give those heatsink retention pins a hard push (they should have "clicked" when correct), you can do it on the board, in the case, just be sure to turn the PS off in the back first as the board will bend quite a bit and you dont want to short out to the case panel holding the motherboard.

Granted, it's stock cooling, but this may not be sustainable.

Temp fluctuates from as high as 71 to as low as 65. Any suggestions? Turn fan on max all the time? Get a new fan? Stop the 2.6 GHz overclock?

Do these things often start out high and then settle at a lower temp? Any advice you can give for getting the CPU temp down via the BIOS or within Windows or by using utlities is greatly appreciated.

I just responded in the CPU Temps thread also, but after 5 minutes of Orthos I am getting 45C core temperature running at 3.85 GHz. :D

Here's the link for future reference

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1148799

that's unbelievable and quite discouraging. i realize that these Allendales are supposedly rated to sustain up to 85C, but still it is disconcerting that i'm getting 70C after 20 minutes or so total.

somebody recommend me a cheap hsf fan that is better than the stock intel cooler so i can get a handle on this...is there any chance it is my cpu and not a bad hsf connection? if it IS the cpu, what should i do?

Thats harsh. For starters turn off the auto voltages and auto over clocking crap and do it manuely.

yeah i suppose i'll just lock the CPU at 1.375 manually and disable all "auto" settings...

so how in the hell do i get this Intel HSF off the mobo? rotate the damn pegs counterclockwise and pull up??? shit i hate this garbage.

that's unbelievable and quite discouraging. i realize that these Allendales are supposedly rated to sustain up to 85C, but still it is disconcerting that i'm getting 70C after 20 minutes or so total.

somebody recommend me a cheap hsf fan that is better than the stock intel cooler so i can get a handle on this...is there any chance it is my cpu and not a bad hsf connection? if it IS the cpu, what should i do?

How much do you want to spend. The fan I have is not cheap but it is very good.

Zalman 9700 LED $58

Zalman 9500 is also a nice fan $48

Even with the stock fan I could get 3200 MHz at stock voltage but the temps I believe were around 55c.

I really think it may be the mounting technique of the Intel fan but I hate that fan anyway and you would do well to replace it. I could get 3200 MHz with it but it was very loud

You know your temps sound normal to me. I know someone with a stock E6400 and his load temps are in the mid/high 60s. Checked over all his connections, re-seated HSF with a thin line of AS5 with no change. My E6300 never ran that hot so I just assumed he got a hot running chip, luck of the draw and all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134

You know your temps sound normal to me. I know someone with a stock E6400 and his load temps are in the mid/high 60s. Checked over all his connections, re-seated HSF with a thin line of AS5 with no change. My E6300 never ran that hot so I just assumed he got a hot running chip, luck of the draw and all.

The person you know should have RMAed the chip. At 3ghz and 1.3250 vcore, my orthos load temps dont break 55c. My game temps are even lower. Idle is 33-35c. This is with stock HSF. If my chip ran hot I would have RMAed. Theres no reason not to. The OP may think about RMA as well or try that HSF. O

The person you know should have RMAed the chip. At 3ghz and 1.3250 vcore, my orthos load temps dont break 55c. My game temps are even lower. Idle is 33-35c. This is with stock HSF. If my chip ran hot I would have RMAed. Theres no reason not to. The OP may think about RMA as well or try that HSF. O

I know, I had my E6300 up to 3.22Ghz, 1.4V, Orthos load mid 50s. His chip ran completely within spec without issues and he wasn't overclocking anyway, so no RMA. I wouldn't RMA a hot chip anyway, but that's another story.

My E6400 is cruising along on its 17th hour of ORTHOS at 3.6GHz, max temp so far is 47C....but then again I'm using water cooling. :p

All I know is Intel says dont go over 60.1C, so I'm stopping when I hit 53-54C.

yeah i suppose i'll just lock the CPU at 1.375 manually and disable all "auto" settings...

so how in the hell do i get this Intel HSF off the mobo? rotate the damn pegs counterclockwise and pull up??? shit i hate this garbage.

Man, take a breath, this is susposed to be fun, just stick a screwdriver in the slot a the top of the retention pins and turn in the direction of the arrow. It will come right off after that.

I still bet you havent properly seated the thing, you have to push on the pins till it hurts your thumb. But going with a better HS is a win.

ok, so quick question that COULD explain this problem. i understand that the stock Intel cooler comes with some kind of thermal paste on the bottom of it. well, i applied some silver-based thermal paste from CompUSA, dabbled on the chip, as suggested at THW...would it pose a problem if those two types of thermal pastes combined?

as far as hsf removal, so you recommend just using the screwdriver at EACH different peg, applying downward pressure with a counterclockwise turn? the manual suggests to push down with thumbs at opposing sides; i.e. 2 diagonally across from each other at a time. if the single screwdriver method works, i am all for it.

I was in the same exact boat until I scrapped my stock cooler for a Tuniq. I'm up to 3ghz at 47c under load and still haven't maxed out yet. I just don't think the stock retention mechanism seats the cooler with enough pressure. Scrap it and you won't look back.

Back