Dark Souls Thread

FYI people saying others shouldn't care if people still wanna do the soul glitch, it wasn't a 'soul' glitch, it was a glitch that allows you to equip a Square Button/A button item and use an infinite amount of it, this includes Throwing Knife stun lock, black firebomb spam, Dung fling stun lock, etc.

Well, it also removes all the risk from the game since you can just get back everything you lost instantly.

See? You came this close to quitting. Ain't you glad you stuck it out? ;)

I put in nearly 200 hours and just beat the game yesterday. I feel as you do, I'm probably done with this game for good. Did everything there was to do, saw everything there was to see. Probably the best $60 I've spent on a game in years though.

I never got around to trying that iron flesh. I think I read that it slows you down or something so I passed on it. But I beat Gwynn the same way, with fireballs. Tried fighting him head to head the first time and got wasted.

That ending though...don't want to give it away but wtf.

Ugh, I dont even want to finish this game, its so damn annoying. Demon's Souls was doable, you learn from your mistake and you move on, this is just annoying.

I never got around to trying that iron flesh. I think I read that it slows you down or something so I passed on it. But I beat Gwynn the same way, with fireballs. Tried fighting him head to head the first time and got wasted.

That ending though...don't want to give it away but wtf.

He's not immune to fire? WTF...

That's what I said the first time I hit him with a great fireball and saw that it took a nice fat chunk of HP. So I said "here, have a few few more". Apparently, all that damage results from his beard catching on fire.

Capra Demon is pissing me off. I've fought him 10 times and just cannot beat him. I've only been able to kill the dogs once and managed to get him to half health, but ever since then I can't even survive long enough to make it up the stairs. I also can't find any summon locations to get help.

first playthrough? what build are you? I can recommend buffing poise so the dogs don't repeatedly stagger you (allowing you to get in your attacks), Mage? strong magic shield if you have it, otherwise run in and immediately cast HSM the switch to a sword to kill the second dog

I'm playing a Thief. I'm using the Drake Sword and lvl5 Wooden Shield (keeps me under 25% EQUIP).

Damnit I don't think I'm going to be able to finish this game before Skyrim. I just killed Ornstein & Smough and entered the painting. I'm a late 50's soul level Knight. Mostly fighting with the Lightning Spear +3.

I'm playing a Thief. I'm using the Drake Sword and lvl5 Wooden Shield (keeps me under 25% EQUIP).

You should look into getting a better shield, even if it puts you into the 25-50% encumbrance range. Specifically, the Hollow Soldier Shield is incredible for how early you get it in the game (has like 83 stability fully upgraded too). Very light and has 100% physical block.

SL275, wearing smough head, body, hands, antiquated+5, RoFAP+Wood Grain
Full Roll(Flip), with Havel's +3 shield
Def: Phys-443, Mag-366, Fire-331, Ltng-373
Poise 70
Using Dragonslayer Spear+5 with occasional Queelag's Fury Sword +5

now that i've got about 50hrs logged in bf3, i've finally worn myself out a touch on it so i can get back to this awesome game. about to enter sen's fortress. :)

Be careful when you get to the mimic, make sure he's not standing over the pit when you strike the killing blow, or you won't be able to reach the lightning spear. I ended up using the drake sword for over half the game cause of that.

I just have to let this little nugget out because everyone needs to know. This is quite possibly the best game I have played in years. These last few years of gaming for me have been hit or miss and, in general, games just don't keep my attention anymore.
I have just over 55 hours logged into this game so far and I absolutely love it. I'm probably one of the only people around here who might have played this game but did anyone every play King's Field ( II in my case)? I Kept thinking about similarities drawn between the two games and how Dark Souls just reminded me of King's Field II. Well I'll be damned if I didn't discover that From Software developed both of them. No wonder I am soaking in the awesome that is Dark Souls.
I cannot get enough of this game right now. Skyrim can wait( I'll get to it). But for now, it's time for more Dark Souls.

I just have to let this little nugget out because everyone needs to know. This is quite possibly the best game I have played in years. These last few years of gaming for me have been hit or miss and, in general, games just don't keep my attention anymore.
I have just over 55 hours logged into this game so far and I absolutely love it. I'm probably one of the only people around here who might have played this game but did anyone every play King's Field ( II in my case)? I Kept thinking about similarities drawn between the two games and how Dark Souls just reminded me of King's Field II. Well I'll be damned if I didn't discover that From Software developed both of them. No wonder I am soaking in the awesome that is Dark Souls.
I cannot get enough of this game right now. Skyrim can wait( I'll get to it). But for now, it's time for more Dark Souls.

I remember getting King's Field 1 when shortly after it came out (in the days when PSX games came in those huge boxes). It was so immersive for the time, same as Demon's/Dark Souls. I tried playing it again a year ago and it hasn't aged well at all. First person tank control hack and slash, haha.

Be careful when you get to the mimic, make sure he's not standing over the pit when you strike the killing blow, or you won't be able to reach the lightning spear. I ended up using the drake sword for over half the game cause of that.

Or just instantly quit the game and load the save. The item should then be there to loot.

Very cool Dark Souls trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYzcnBje5KA. I bet they would've gotten a lot more pre-orders if they showcased this instead of their other trailers.

Good stuff. Should help bring in some extra holiday sales for them. Fresh meat for the Darkwraiths among us...

What weapons did everyone prefer playing through? I used a (divine) balder side sword for quite a while. Slightly better reach than the longsword, quick slashes, and very effective piercing attacks.

Later I experimented with more weapons and settled on using the great scythe and scythe with lightning and fire upgrades respectively. Good reach and wide arcing strong attacks. Reasonably quick on the normal attacks too.

Good stuff. Should help bring in some extra holiday sales for them. Fresh meat for the Darkwraiths among us...

What weapons did everyone prefer playing through? I used a (divine) balder side sword for quite a while. Slightly better reach than the longsword, quick slashes, and very effective piercing attacks.

Later I experimented with more weapons and settled on using the great scythe and scythe with lightning and fire upgrades respectively. Good reach and wide arcing strong attacks. Reasonably quick on the normal attacks too.

I'm still on my first play through, but I love the claymore. Having the thrust attack makes it so much more versitile than other greatswords. I'm working on upgrading a man-serpent greatsword now since it scales better with strength, but I find I really miss the thrust.

I built Queelag's Fury Sword +5 and it's been wrecking shop. My character build was all over the place. Early on I focused on STR/DEX but after a few hours switched over to pumping VIT/END. Now I've got about 22-ish STR/DEX, close to 30 VIT and over 30 END. Without either STR or DEX very high none of the scaling weapons seemt do as much damage as two handing the Fury Sword.

That fury sword is a beast. I'm rockin it right now but I'm interested to see how the greatsword of artorias fairs once i get reasonably high stats in str dex int and faith.

I was quite disappointed with that Fury sword. I upgraded the Iaito to lightning +4 and had a listed damage of 462. The Fury sword +4 was right around 100 below that. I'd have to say my favorite weapon was the washing pole. Has the exact same speed/moveset as the uchigatana (which includes a thrust attack on R2) but has much more length. Almost has the range of a great sword.

Claymore is great as well, a good compromise between the range/power of the great swords, with the speed & thrust attacks of long/straight swords.

I just made it to the Four Kings in New Londo. I easily beat Sif half an hour ago but these guys? W. T. F?

Man the Four Kings and Gwyn were a pain in the ass because I couldn't train Iron Flesh anywhere. I had to call up some help on Gwyn but I don't even care, that fight was so fucking unfair. NG+ Go!

By the way it took me about 56 hours and Level 86 to beat the game.

Last edited:
Man the Four Kings and Gwyn were a pain in the ass because I couldn't train Iron Flesh anywhere. I had to call up some help on Gwyn but I don't even care, that fight was so fucking unfair. NG+ Go!

By the way it took me about 56 hours and Level 86 to beat the game.

One of the coolest things about the Gwyn fight is how you can incorporate most of the core combat basics against him, including parry. Almost makes it too easy riposting him to death.

Does Very Large Ember carry on to New Game+(+)?

I'm at the Four Kings again on NG+. :p Properly prepared this time.

Looks like the patch is finally available for US and Euro players. I'm about to guy a SHIT LOAD of twinkling titanite.

Looks like the patch is finally available for US and Euro players. I'm about to guy a SHIT LOAD of twinkling titanite.

Well, looks like they finally fixed multiplayer. Summon signs and invaders all over the place :D

Back