Dark Souls Thread

Does this game take right after demon's souls? I haven't played either yet but if this game is really that great, I may get demon's souls to play first and then start dark souls

No, they are not related stories at all. Dark Souls is just a "sequel" in name only, there's no related story or anything, just basic gameplay concepts are the same with some twists and improvements in Dark Souls, and a slight regression in the toggle switching between enemies.

If you would like my opinion, I suggest you play Demon's Souls first. It is, in fact, a tutorial for Dark Souls.

That's right, the entire game of Demon's Souls is a tutorial for Dark Souls.

Anyway, the online component for Demon's Souls will be active for a while longer, into 2012, so if you really wanna play Demon's Souls, you'd be well advised to pick it up and play it while you can still play the online component, because it's the definite experience.

Hope that helps, and btw, by the time you beat Demon's Souls, Dark Souls will have gone down in price more than likely.

You definitely want help for Smough and Ornstein. Kill Smough first since he is REALLY squishy, Ornstein is easy with 3 people.

well i killed them solo without use of pyro/magic...
that was very tough fight
i i think i need break now

Miracles on the other hand have some real nifty stuff like Homeward (evacuate), Vow of Silence (30s anti-magic zone), Tranquil Walk of Peace (30s bubble around your character that slows the speed of anyone it touches), and Heals which can be used if you plan on invading since invaders can't use estus flasks.

Would you happen to know what the faith requirements are for those miracles? Thanks

The surround sound is pretty good. I went into Darkroot Garden and decided to go back to the Undead Parish. I heard footsteps in the surround sound, I swear I saw nothing. Turned around and a damn tree was stalking me. Neato.

So I found the first crystal gecko(?). WTH are you supposed to do with those things? Capture? Kill?

I chased after it, slashing, but after a few seconds it simply stopped and vanished.

Kill it, do whatever you have to do. If you know a crystal lizard is coming up, put a weapon in the left hand and a spelll (fireball, soul arrow, etc...) in the right hand. Make sure the weapon is a slashing weapon that's fairly quick. Any sword should work well. Avoid clubs, battle axes, hammers, and anything that's slow. Also, remove all your armor so you have maximum sprint speed.

Chase it down and try wacking at it with your weapon. If it fails to connect, use the spell. Crystal lizards always have good valuable loot. They appear a limited number of times. Anytime you let one get away, the loot it was carrying is gone for good.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is kinda like an interactive version of Hieronymus Bosch's "The Garden of Earthly Delights" right panel (Hell) or Pieter Bruegel the Elder's "The Triumph of Death" or "Dull Gret" (Mad Meg). Damn I love these games.

Good stuff, what kind of character are you playing? Weapon/Armor type?

nothing special wearing gold hemmed set
+2 drake sword
eagle's shield
started out as thief for master key but i should've gone with wanderer ;/

Would you happen to know what the faith requirements are for those miracles? Thanks

Heal/Great Heal Excerpt/Great Heal - 12/14/24 Faith
Wrath of The Gods - 28 Faith (I think this is reminiscent of the DS version with a huge knockback effect and insta-cast)
Homeward - 18 Faith (evacuate)
Karmic Justice - 20 Faith (think of it like a thorns effect where if you get attacked it sends a shockwave of magic damage in all directions and knocking over enemies)
Lightning Spear/Great LS/Sunlight Spear - 20/30/50 Faith - Pew Pew (Requires Warrior of the Sunlight covenant unfortunately)
Magic Barrier / Great Magic Barrier - 14/24 Faith
Replenishment/Bountiful Sunlight - 16/36 Faith - heals 10-20 HP every second for 40 seconds (requires Princess's Guard Covenant)
Soothing Sunlight - 48 Faith - Large AoE spell that can heal other friendly phantoms in your world, restores almost as much health as Great Heal
Sunlight Blade - 30 Faith - adds the lightning effect for your right-hand weapon (basically you never need to buy gold resin again)
Tranquil Walk of Peace - 18 Faith - slow field
Vow of Silence - 30 Faith - anti-magic zone

I'm trying to make a turtle counter-attack build. Playing a Cleric with Astora's Straight Sword so I can just leave my str/dex at 10/10 and pump faith since the sword is the only magic weapon in the game that scales with Faith. I eventually plan to pick up the Sanctus shield that drops off Paladin Leeroy as it's one of two shields with 100% physical reduction that's also classified as a Small Shield for better parry windows and restores +2 HP every 2 secs which goes along with the whole heal/miracle build.

Too bad Clerics start with such low Int as the Sorcery line has Remove Curse/Poison/Bleeding @ 16 Int and a free repair for all weapons/armor @ 14 Int. These spells can be replicated through items but man are they convenient. Thief/Wanderer can still pick these spells up without too much investment since they start with such high Int while still allowing you to focus on melee combat.

nothing special wearing gold hemmed set
+2 drake sword
eagle's shield
started out as thief for master key but i should've gone with wanderer ;/

I've noticed that a lot of people that played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are big fans of Wanderers but I can't figure out why. I know the old Wanderer had the highest Luck but they removed that stat already.

Crystal lizards always have good valuable loot. They appear a limited number of times. Anytime you let one get away, the loot it was carrying is gone for good.

AFAIK that isn't true in Dark Souls. It doesn't lose a count for getting away, only if it dies.

AFAIK that isn't true in Dark Souls. It doesn't lose a count for getting away, only if it dies.
Would be a welcome change. I think "one shot" stuff is sort of cheap and horrible.

Just failed my first attempt at the Taurus demon 20mins ago. I think I paniced and tried to roll too much, instead of blocking? That aside, had a good session. Went for that ring that gives you a DEF boost when you are low on HP, then back to the beginning and picked up the Winged Spear and Zweihander. Lack one dex to use the spear. Finally tried a bow, very nice for kiting and even killing enemies at a distance (imagine that).

Have probably spent too much time in Undead Burg, I'm level 9 or 10. So far I've spent points in a bit of everything, but I think it's time to focus in on the dex+int build I'm trying for...

How far in do you get access to more spells (started as pyro)? I assume you need to meet people who can train you or something..

No, you're fine eloj, you're doing it right.

To beat the Taurus Demon, upon entry to his area, go climb the ladder to your immediate right, clear out the archers, then go get the Taurus Demon to come back

turn around, RUN back to the ladder

climb it, then do your plunging attack on him, then run all the way out there to the bridge, make him attack, dodge it, then run back to the ladder and repeat.

Heal/Great Heal Excerpt/Great Heal - 12/14/24 Faith
Wrath of The Gods - 28 Faith (I think this is reminiscent of the DS version with a huge knockback effect and insta-cast)
Homeward - 18 Faith (evacuate)
Karmic Justice - 20 Faith (think of it like a thorns effect where if you get attacked it sends a shockwave of magic damage in all directions and knocking over enemies)
Lightning Spear/Great LS/Sunlight Spear - 20/30/50 Faith - Pew Pew (Requires Warrior of the Sunlight covenant unfortunately)
Magic Barrier / Great Magic Barrier - 14/24 Faith
Replenishment/Bountiful Sunlight - 16/36 Faith - heals 10-20 HP every second for 40 seconds (requires Princess's Guard Covenant)
Soothing Sunlight - 48 Faith - Large AoE spell that can heal other friendly phantoms in your world, restores almost as much health as Great Heal
Sunlight Blade - 30 Faith - adds the lightning effect for your right-hand weapon (basically you never need to buy gold resin again)
Tranquil Walk of Peace - 18 Faith - slow field
Vow of Silence - 30 Faith - anti-magic zone

Beautiful, thanks for this. I started out as a pyromancer, and I'm glad I did so as that fireball came in very handy early on. I'm going with a DEX built, along with the odd ranged spell. But, as usual, I'm seeing a lot of goodies in the miracle line that's tempting me to compromise my build. Homeward is too convenient to pass up, but it's going to cost me 10 points and I can't decide if it's worth it. This is what happened to me in Demon's Souls, I made a primarily melee character with medium-high magic and low-med miracles which was fine to beat the game with, but I'd get pwned in PVP. Damn...dunno what to do...suggestions?

Too bad Clerics start with such low Int as the Sorcery line has Remove Curse/Poison/Bleeding @ 16 Int and a free repair for all weapons/armor @ 14 Int.

Damn! More tempting/compromising! I've heard horror stories about people who had to walk and walk and walk to get rid of a curse, and a free repair for weapons sure beats paying 500 souls a pop. Now I have to spend another 6 points on INT...:mad:

There goes my focused, high-end pvp build. :rolleyes:

I've noticed that a lot of people that played Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are big fans of Wanderers but I can't figure out why. I know the old Wanderer had the highest Luck but they removed that stat already.

I agree, I tried the wanderer along with several other classes before I finally settled on pyro. I couldn't justify sticking with wanderer, every advantage he has can be equalled fairly early on with other classes. If I was going that route with a light/mobile class I'd stick with the thief. At least there you'll start out with 2 gifts, an advantage unique to the thief.

good place to grind at 22? nothing easy enough to kill gives anything worth a damn in souls

Yeah you may be right, I haven't heard one way or the other. So, as far as you know, it won't spawn after the very first time you kill it? That would be a nice change indeed, although at least in Demon's Souls even if you killed them, you'd get 3 cracks at the gold rush instead of one. Still, I'd prefer the guaranteed 1 time.

Have probably spent too much time in Undead Burg, I'm level 9 or 10. So far I've spent points in a bit of everything, but I think it's time to focus in on the dex+int build I'm trying for...

You haven't spent too much time in undead burg I don't think. I'm also a pyro and I'm level 16, having just beaten the Taurus demon...& I haven't even done any real grinding to this point. I've just been taking my sweet time and making sure to get every single item/easter egg from Firelink through Taurus demon. Only thing left for me to do is kill the black knight and that enemy with (what looks like) the tower shield. I'm guessing that at level 9 or 10, you've probably missed a few things along the way so I'd suggest not worrying about spending too much time in an area. There's almost always something yet to be explored.

On the taurus demon, have you come across the battle axe? You should've found one somewhere in undead burg. It took more damage for me than the winged spear. Only needed 3 shots to kill it, needed 5 with the winged spear.

How far in do you get access to more spells (started as pyro)? I assume you need to meet people who can train you or something..

I still haven't come anything besides my fireball, only slightly past where you are.

Just picked this up for PS3. I beat Demon Souls as a royal, so pyromancer seems the way to go but...

I kind of want to play a thief. Everyone seems to be saying the thief is extremely hard to use to the point they are restarting with a different class. Anyone actually stayed with their thief?

you have to save pyromancer npc and you can earn more spells from them you will also find some as drop further into the game and also you can gain additional pyro spells by joining certain covenant

I'm guessing that at level 9 or 10, you've probably missed a few things along the way so I'd suggest not worrying about spending too much time in an area. There's almost always something yet to be explored.

I dunno, feel like I've been pretty much everywhere. Didn't kill that (blueeyed?) knight, but I got the item behind him. The one area I have NOT explored is the depths of the stairwell, that goes way down from behind that door at the entry to the staircase that leads to the Taurus Demon. I walked a ways down, got a message that said something like "awesome ring ahead", then I saw some monster with a giant club or something down there and went up again.

On the taurus demon, have you come across the battle axe? You should've found one somewhere in undead burg. It took more damage for me than the winged spear. Only needed 3 shots to kill it, needed 5 with the winged spear.

I just found it and started using it at the end of my last session. It's a very nice upgrade from the handaxe I was using.

Even if the spear does less damage, I like the idea of being able to attack with my shield up. We'll see. As far as the boss goes, I was trying to drop on his head but missed and just hit the floor in front of him, and got mauled as I tried to roll away and then climb up again. Was thinking I'd try using firebombs and/or fireball instead, but also got jumbled up in the item switching which I really haven't had to do during combat so far.

Not too worried about him, just got to learn his pattern.

Just keep tapping R1 on your way down and you will connect, dont' try to "time" it.

Even if the spear does less damage, I like the idea of being able to attack with my shield up. We'll see.

Oh the spear is absolutely a superior weapon. I just meant for the boss battle itself, the battle axe will kill him faster.

Don't bother with firebombs or fireball, just do the plunging attack. You don't need to be precise or perfect, just drop and R1. He doesn't even need to be right below you for it to work. The time you tried it and ended up missing and landing just in front of him was very likely a fluke, that never happened to me in the 3 times I fought him.

BTW- did you find the area with the 3 treasure chests by the graveyard?

Just picked this up for PS3. I beat Demon Souls as a royal, so pyromancer seems the way to go but...

I kind of want to play a thief. Everyone seems to be saying the thief is extremely hard to use to the point they are restarting with a different class. Anyone actually stayed with their thief?

Lv22 THF, get a shortbow and you'll be good.

I dunno, feel like I've been pretty much everywhere. Didn't kill that (blueeyed?) knight, but I got the item behind him. The one area I have NOT explored is the depths of the stairwell, that goes way down from behind that door at the entry to the staircase that leads to the Taurus Demon. I walked a ways down, got a message that said something like "awesome ring ahead", then I saw some monster with a giant club or something down there and went up again.

You can kill the fatty at the bottom of the stairs at level 1. Unequip your armor until you're under 25% equip burden so you have max roll speed since he kills you in one hit regardless of what you're wearing. Then just dance with him, wait for him to do the really slow overhead slam and then circle strafe him and stab him in the back. Around 10-15 minutes later, he'll be dead and you get yourself a real nice ring. He only has 2 types of attacks so it's pretty easy to get his pattern down. If you see him retreat/backstep, do not chase after him, he's baiting you into an overhead slam and will kill you.

Just keep tapping R1 on your way down and you will connect, dont' try to "time" it.

Good tip, took him on the second try. Now level 12 and have activated the first shortcut. Feeling good about this so far. About 5h playtime.

got myself +3 lighting bandit knife
it's pretty good :p

Just, FYI, ascending a weapon to lightning effect completely removes any stat modifier on the weapon. Although the raw damage from the lightning modifier will probably put out more damage in the first playthrough before you can really get your stats high enough to where it matters.

Supposedly the Bandit Knife applies a bleed build-up of 30 per strike and once you break the threshold, it deals 30% of their max hp. However, I've never seen this effect ever take place even if I'm chipping away at a boss with a massive hit point pool.

I just beat the Tower Knight inside that chapel, not sure where to go next, so I stopped for a bit, any ideas?

Good tip, took him on the second try. Now level 12 and have activated the first shortcut. Feeling good about this so far. About 5h playtime.

Glad to hear it, just keep on troopin, there's also a merchant int hat area.

I just beat the Tower Knight inside that chapel, not sure where to go next, so I stopped for a bit, any ideas?

Make sure you hit the bonfire outside the chapel (with the blacksmith) if you haven't yet.

The upstairs of the chapel has a guy you can save, as well as the first bell that needs rung.

Once you've done that, you can do Darkroot Forest (exit from the blacksmith).

Just, FYI, ascending a weapon to lightning effect completely removes any stat modifier on the weapon. Although the raw damage from the lightning modifier will probably put out more damage in the first playthrough before you can really get your stats high enough to where it matters.

Supposedly the Bandit Knife applies a bleed build-up of 30 per strike and once you break the threshold, it deals 30% of their max hp. However, I've never seen this effect ever take place even if I'm chipping away at a boss with a massive hit point pool.

Lightning is also the hardest resist to get, so lightning weapons are really crazy in PVP right now.

i'll probably use it until like sl 100
and yes it does do massive damage however i'm not sure if it works on boss

I killed Havel, i'm level 21 right now, I kind of don't play this as hardcore as I did Demon's Souls, I play it for an hour or 2, then stop and do something else for a while.

I kind of want to savor the experience while at the same time not blowing my brains out over it, lol.

someone explain to me what it means when you're fighting and sometimes youre weapon gets a glow on it? Is it lv'ing up or what?

someone explain to me what it means when you're fighting and sometimes youre weapon gets a glow on it? Is it lv'ing up or what?

That's new to me, haven't seen that effect. You sure it's not the ring that ups your defense when you drop below 20%?

Definitely kill the dude at the bottom of the circular tower if possible. You get a ring that raises your equip weight by like 60 or so and lets you wear some nice armor. I won't lie, I did the soul farming in the dark forest and I am currently SL 55 or so, and the game still kicks my ass, so I don't feel cheap doing it. I seriously don't know how I am going to beat the game even at this level, I still feel too weak, lol! Later on you will face multiple enemies that used to be bosses, that shit gets pretty insane.

Definitely kill the dude at the bottom of the circular tower if possible. You get a ring that raises your equip weight by like 60 or so and lets you wear some nice armor. I won't lie, I did the soul farming in the dark forest and I am currently SL 55 or so, and the game still kicks my ass, so I don't feel cheap doing it. I seriously don't know how I am going to beat the game even at this level, I still feel too weak, lol! Later on you will face multiple enemies that used to be bosses, that shit gets pretty insane.
i'm 2/3 into game and still sl 52 ;x

Back