Dark Souls: Remastered First Gameplay Trailer; PC Requirements; and a Discount

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Bandai Namco has released the first gameplay trailer for Dark Souls: Remastered today, and it looks like Dark Souls.... but remastered. However I can't tell from the video of the controls on PC got remastered along with the graphics, but one can hope. The bigger news comes from DSOGaming, where they are reporting that according to the Japanese Dark Souls website, all PC owners of Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition will receive a 50% discount on the remake, which is scheduled to release on May 25th.

Minimum Requirements:

i5 2300 or FX-6300
6GB RAM
GTX 460 or HD6870

Recommended Specs:

i5 4570 or FX 8350
8GB RAM
GTX 660 or HD 7870
Xbox One or 360 Controller

The requirements also mention that an internet connection is necessary for activation at the first start, as well as (obviously) for online play.

Funny, we used to run older games at a higher resolution and get the same 'remastered' experience for free . . .

Also, why so soon? Its corpse is still warm :S

If anything, I'd be happy with a Witcher 1 Remake.

I'm a fan of the game and didn't pay much for the original PC version anyways. I like the discount.

Can't wait to buy a game I have for 50% less. ... fucking retards.

Well see that depends.

I picked up the "Prepare to Die Edition" for like $2 on a Steam sale a while back...

If they release the "Remastered" for $60, then give me a 50% coupon, I'll get to buy a game I already own for 15x the price I paid for it!

Well see that depends.

I picked up the "Prepare to Die Edition" for like $2 on a Steam sale a while back...

If they release the "Remastered" for $60, then give me a 50% coupon, I'll get to buy a game I already own for 15x the price I paid for it!
Clearly a bargain at twice the price. ;p

Real fans of the game and series understand the significance of this re-release, and the $20 is chump change. Bottomfeeders that got it on a $2 steam sale, never really played it anyway nor intend to, but want to bitch that it isn't free - this remaster isn't for you.

Besides official 4K60 support that doesn't break engine physics at 60FPS like DSFix, it's really the back end and QoL improvements that are significant here. They overhauled the P2P based multiplayer and switched to dedicated servers, made it 6 player max (which makes it the best of all souls games). For anyone that caught Dark Souls late and missed the multiplayer base at its peak, you're getting a second chance.

No-brainer buy for me. Can't wait to play through it again with proper PvP and PVE/co-op.

Online Multiplayer
  • The maximum number of players online has increased from 4 to 6.
  • The Dried Finger item will be needed to play with 6 players.
  • The Dried Finger has been moved from the Painted World of Ariamis level to the Undead Burg merchant to be obtainable earlier in the game. The Dried Finger location in the Painted World has been replaced with a Twin Humanities item.
  • Password Matchmaking is now available, similar to Dark Souls 3. When a player is summoned in Password Matchmaking the player level will be synced.
  • It's now easier for friends to be matched with each other. When the guest player’s character level and weapon is higher than that of the host player, the level will be adjusted accordingly.
  • Healing items will not be available during PvP with the exception of Estus Flasks. To prevent long and drawn out battles, the number of Estus Flasks is halved for phantoms.
  • When a player defeats an invading phantom, their Estus Flask is restored.
  • Players can turn on/off global matchmaking
  • Players can now prevent matched Red Phantoms from seeing their “White Sign Soapstone” sign
  • Players can no longer summon ally phantoms consecutively when in combat with enemy phantoms.
  • In online play, players who are outside of the host’s parameter range will not be matched with each other (the players can still be matched via Password Matching).
Arena
  • 3v3 and 6-player deathmatch have been added.
  • Arena battles can also use Password Matching.
  • Respawn points will be random.
Everything Else
  • Players can select the number of usable items, such as consumable souls or covenant items, to use instead of one at a time as in the original game.
  • The number of languages has been increased to the number found in Dark Souls 3.
  • A Bonfire has been added next to Vamos the Blacksmith.
  • Covenants can be switched at Bonfires.
  • Button configuration is available.
  • Items will not automatically be registered into an item slot when picked up.
  • When the up or down directional pad button is held down, the first item equipped will be selected.
  • The online network has been changed from P2P to dedicated servers.

Last edited:
Real fans of the game and series understand the significance of this re-release, and the $20 is chump change. Bottomfeeders that got it on a $2 steam sale, never really played it anyway nor intend to, but want to bitch that it isn't free - this remaster isn't for you.

Besides official 4K60 support that doesn't break engine physics at 60FPS like DSFix, it's really the back end and QoL improvements that are significant here. They overhauled the P2P based multiplayer and switched to dedicated servers, made it 6 player max (which makes it the best of all souls games). For anyone that caught Dark Souls late and missed the multiplayer base at its peak, you're getting a second chance.

No-brainer buy for me. Can't wait to play through it again with proper PvP and PVE/co-op.

I don't know about the bottom-feeders comment, but yes, there is more going on here than a simple res and texture bump. Though, those things are nice.

it's still using DX 9.0c?...why the big step up in system requirements from the original?

Last edited:
Well see that depends.

I paid $15 for the game, but the idea of remastering a PC game is appalling to me. Whatever happened to just patching the game? It's not like the original Dark Souls wasn't a problematic mess on PC. DSfix is still installed on my PC. There's also other tweaks one can do to increase the graphics on PC. But this is because the PC version of Dark Souls was abandoned after a while. Only recent patch was to remove microsoft games for windows.

So what are they gonna do for the "remastered version"? Probably just fix the fucking game and give PC users options to tweak the graphics. So essentially I'm paying $30 for a patch for a game I've bought, and we clap in excitement like fucking retards. Yea I bought the game for cheap, but it was probably cheap cause From Software probably didn't think the PC version would do well, cause the game in general didn't do well like Demon Souls. Just so happens when it reached PC it exploded in popularity and we're all praising the sun.

I'm just really sick and tired of games being left for dead and then later being reintroduced as a remaster with all the bug fixes. Like fucking Skyrim, which has become a running joke. Fallout 3 on Windows 10 is a buggy mess that crashes constantly unless you patch it with a 4GB patch. That's gonna be remastered with all the bugs fixed. I'm still waiting for the original to be fixed with a patch.

On the PC, you can easily mod the game to run higher than 720p or whatever the internal resolution was locked to.

I paid $15 for the game, but the idea of remastering a PC game is appalling to me. Whatever happened to just patching the game? It's not like the original Dark Souls wasn't a problematic mess on PC. DSfix is still installed on my PC. There's also other tweaks one can do to increase the graphics on PC. But this is because the PC version of Dark Souls was abandoned after a while. Only recent patch was to remove microsoft games for windows.

So what are they gonna do for the "remastered version"? Probably just fix the fucking game and give PC users options to tweak the graphics. So essentially I'm paying $30 for a patch for a game I've bought, and we clap in excitement like fucking retards. Yea I bought the game for cheap, but it was probably cheap cause From Software probably didn't think the PC version would do well, cause the game in general didn't do well like Demon Souls. Just so happens when it reached PC it exploded in popularity and we're all praising the sun.

When people were asking for a PC port of DS1, they literally said "we're bad at PC ports" and never intended to bring the game to PC, then enough nerds begged them anyway that they relented. So it's not like we expected a perfect port and they fucked us. We got exactly what was advertised, with free DLC as an apology for a bad port. Now, you can optionally pay $20 to have some fresh PVP with dedicated servers, a bunch of QoL improvements and new frames/graphics. If that’s not worth it, then just play regular DS1. They don’t owe anyone anything.

I bought it for $7 originally and think it's fine. Makes paying another $20 fine by me - I'll easily get a few hundred hours out of it.

Gotta remember that video games are a business, and the decisionmakers generally won't devote man hours to revisiting and overhauling a really old title because it just ends up losing them money if they aren't able to charge something to cover it.

Last edited:
When people were asking for a PC port of DS1, they literally said "we're bad at PC ports" and never intended to bring the game to PC, then enough nerds begged them anyway that they relented. So it's not like we expected a perfect port and they fucked us. We got exactly what was advertised, with free DLC as an apology for a bad port.
Yea but eventually they got this PC thing down with DS2 and DS3. They could have went back and fixed the bugs but no here's a remastered version.
Now, you can optionally pay $20 to have some fresh PVP with dedicated servers, a bunch of QoL improvements and new frames/graphics. If that’s not worth it, then just play regular DS1. They don’t owe anyone anything.
If they're unwilling to patch their games, then at least release the source code so the fan-base can. Like what John Carmack did. Cause I guarantee you the community would have made that thing look amazing and probably would have given it Vulkan support. Maybe there would be a Linux port. BTW I'm referencing RBDOOM3BFG.

I make it a rule not to buy remasters of games I already own. I'm supporting a bad business practice if I do.
Gotta remember that video games are a business, and the decisionmakers generally won't devote man hours to revisiting and overhauling a really old title because it just ends up losing them money if they aren't able to charge something to cover it.
That's fine but I think there needs to be a law where the "decisionmakers" have to release the source code of the game so the fanbase can fix it or alter it in some way. Cause much like RBDOOM3RBG, it's not always better when remastered. Seriously the textures are washed out and look extremely compressed, but that's not a big surprise since Doom 3 RBG is a console port. You'd get better textures with the original Doom 3. As you can see in this video, not much was changed. In fact some of the textures are even worse than on the original with DSfix. But that's on the PS4 Pro version, which is likely the version you'll get on PC. You could make the argument that there's going to be some fresh PvP for a while, but honestly I got Dark Souls fairly quickly when it was released on PC and the PvP wasn't great then either. Dark Souls 2 and 3 are better but personally DS3 is the best at PvP. At least it was when I played it, before the DLC fragmented the player base.

Agree so much with this post! Money isn't an issue. Can't wait to purchase this!!!!!

I'm a big Souls fan, but this remake seems a bit underwhelming. Some of those textures are still straight up from 2011 and stick out like a sore thumb when surrounded by other updated, higher-resolution textures. It looks like someone started remastering the game and half-way through decided, "fuck it I'm done, lets just release it as-is."

Bottomfeeders that got it on a $2 steam sale

xgz9nkR.gif

I can see both sides.

On the one hand, this seems much improved and I'm sure fans of the series will buy it regardless.

On the other, the original PC port was utterly abysmal and I can see why PC users would not want to give From any more money for DS1.

At least they're discounting it.

the remaster is a significant upgrade...I have over 1000 hours in the first game and can easily see the visual and overall improvements with this new version...I don't understand why people are upset...plus $20 is a steal of a price (for those that already own the game)...even $40 is a good price for the amount of content and overall gameplay

Yes. I feel very burned. I bow to those who paid $40 for a game that was damn near unplayable without fan created mods, for they are the true winners.

One of the only things I don't do in my attempt to buy every pc game possible obsession is pay regular prices for shitty ports. If someone were to try to convince me otherwise I would assume they walk around in Crocs.

those complaining about the 'unplayable' condition of DS1 on PC never played it...DS1 played perfectly with DSFix as long as you remap some keys...literally no issues (outside of 30 fps lock)

those complaining about the 'unplayable' condition of DS1 on PC never played it...DS1 played perfectly with DSFix as long as you remap some keys...literally no issues (outside of 30 fps lock)

Play it without DSFix.

Play it without DSFix.

what's the point of that?...it's not like DSFix is some complicated software that requires some deep knowledge of programming to install...it's a simple tool like ReShade or a game mod

DSFix removed the 30 fps lock as well. If DS1 needs DSfix to be playable on PC, then it wasn't a finished product. DSfix took someone 30 minutes to make to fix the game.

Another problem with this Remaster is it's going to create fragmentation of the player base. Those who play the original DS1 and those who play the remaster. DS1 had like 3 million in sales so I don't expect another 3 million players to buy the remaster. This might create fresh PvP for like a month, and that's it.

what's the point of that?...it's not like DSFix is some complicated software that requires some deep knowledge of programming to install...it's a simple tool like ReShade or a game mod
His point is try playing the game without DSfix. You're going to have a bad time.

DSFix removed the 30 fps lock as well. If DS1 needs DSfix to be playable on PC, then it wasn't a finished product. DSfix took someone 30 minutes to make to fix the game.

Another problem with this Remaster is it's going to create fragmentation of the player base. Those who play the original DS1 and those who play the remaster. DS1 had like 3 million in sales so I don't expect another 3 million players to buy the remaster. This might create fresh PvP for like a month, and that's it.

Scholar of the First Sin (Dark Souls 2) player base seems to be going strong so no I don't think the remastered version is going to do worse then the original in terms of player base...the DS1 remaster will most likely do better in sales because the Dark Souls series is much more popular now...it was pretty much a niche console game back then but is now a mainstream blockbuster...DS1 wasn't a great port but it was playable...I could play it without DSFix but there's no point since it made the game better

Scholar of the First Sin (Dark Souls 2) player base seems to be going strong so no I don't think the remastered version is going to do worse then the original in terms of player base...
A whole new game and DLC are not the same thing. If you have the DLC you can still interact with players who don't have it, just not within the DLC section.
the DS1 remaster will most likely do better in sales because the Dark Souls series is much more popular now...it was pretty much a niche console game back then but is now a mainstream blockbuster...DS1 wasn't a great port but it was playable...I could play it without DSFix but there's no point since it made the game better
I really doubt that. Unless it was a really old game and DS1 isn't that old, I don't see a lot of people rushing to buy this. It was remastered very slightly, so even less people are interested, unless you don't use DSfix which you should.

How many people you think bought Skyrim remastered? Not enough to warrant the modding community to support it. To this day the best Skyrim is the original. Also like Dark Souls remastered, Skyrim remastered doesn't offer enough for people to switch over. If you looked at a video I posted in this thread, it shows that DS1 remastered has like only a few benefits over DSfix. Wetter looking walls, better illumination, and pvp was reworked. Other than that, DSfix has better textures. I wouldn't be surprised if there were mods that even one up'd that with DSfix.

Here, DS1 with DSfix with a texture pack. It runs 4k at 60 fps. Deal with it.

You know, it is entirely possible to make your point without being a dick or completely invalidating every single word of your post due to employing the No True Scotsman fallacy.

I'm just really sick and tired of games being left for dead and then later being reintroduced as a remaster with all the bug fixes. Like fucking Skyrim, which has become a running joke. Fallout 3 on Windows 10 is a buggy mess that crashes constantly unless you patch it with a 4GB patch. That's gonna be remastered with all the bugs fixed. I'm still waiting for the original to be fixed with a patch.

I imagine a lot of the fault of the original not getting proper support lays at the feet of BandaiNamco. If I'm remembering things right, they didn't exactly give FromSoft a huge amount of time to make the port, especially with it being their first time developing for the PC in-house. I'd assume neither company expected it to sell so well on the PC.

As for the remaster: This is primarily being done so they can throw the game on the PS4, XB1, and Switch. If they didn't release it for the PC there would be a bunch of pissing and moaning anyway. It probably should be free for PC owners, but this is BandaiNamco so its not exactly surprising.

A whole new game and DLC are not the same thing. If you have the DLC you can still interact with players who don't have it, just not within the DLC section.

I really doubt that. Unless it was a really old game and DS1 isn't that old, I don't see a lot of people rushing to buy this. It was remastered very slightly, so even less people are interested, unless you don't use DSfix which you should.

How many people you think bought Skyrim remastered? Not enough to warrant the modding community to support it. To this day the best Skyrim is the original. Also like Dark Souls remastered, Skyrim remastered doesn't offer enough for people to switch over. If you looked at a video I posted in this thread, it shows that DS1 remastered has like only a few benefits over DSfix. Wetter looking walls, better illumination, and pvp was reworked. Other than that, DSfix has better textures. I wouldn't be surprised if there were mods that even one up'd that with DSfix.

Here, DS1 with DSfix with a texture pack. It runs 4k at 60 fps. Deal with it.

I think you're going to be surprised at the sales numbers for this remastered edition...it's going to do really well in my opinion...you underestimate the popularity of the series...when DS1 first came out on PC it was From Software's first attempt at a PC port (the game wasn't even supposed to be released on PC) so the quality of the port was somewhat expected...it was pretty much a direct port of the console version and was meant as just that- a gift for PC players who have always wanted to play the game

each successive game not only improved in quality (in terms of the port itself) but also in popularity...DS1 PC was a hidden gem but the series didn't explode in popularity until DS2 PC...people were saying how the SOTFS edition of DS2 wasn't going to do well and it did amazing...and it wasn't a whole new game...it was the exact same game with different enemy/item placement, 1 new NPC/boss and improved graphics (DX9.0c to DX11)

as far as the improvements in the DS1 remaster I can clearly see the visual improvements in the gameplay videos...is it a night/day overhaul- No...but it's a pretty significant upgrade for those with a ton of hours in the game...the improvements are there and I think most fans of the game (which many consider the best game in the series) will buy the new version- especially at the $20 price...the people reacting negatively to this are mostly people who never played the game

Back