"Dark Souls : Prepare to Die Edition" coming to PC.

DennisK4

Limp Gawd
There's a preview in the new PC Action (German magazine).

The release date is August.

New bosses for the PC version everything else is 1:1 from the console version.

Last edited:
Nice. I'm glad I held out from buying 360 version.

I'm in on day one, with two conditions:
1. excellent keyboard and mouse controls with full keyboard layout configuration
2. adjustable FOV

Those are the two things that so many console ports get wrong, making them miserable to play on a PC, even if the game is otherwise excellent.

Some games do and should get more tolerance for being console ports. FPS and RTS games are pretty unforgiveable considering they're perfectly suited for the PC, but these sorts of games that are clearly console-exclusive can't be expected to have the same level of PC-ness as a Battlefield 3.

This is not to say I will tolerate a bad port, however...but if it needs a gamepad to be played with the most comfort, I'm ok with that.

Some games do and should get more tolerance for being console ports. FPS and RTS games are pretty unforgiveable considering they're perfectly suited for the PC, but these sorts of games that are clearly console-exclusive can't be expected to have the same level of PC-ness as a Battlefield 3.

This is not to say I will tolerate a bad port, however...but if it needs a gamepad to be played with the most comfort, I'm ok with that.

Agreed. Dark Souls is a console game first and foremost. We can expect and demand a good port, but people are going to have to remember that it is a game designed specifically for consoles and controllers and it is entirely possible that it won't translate well to a keyboard and mouse especially since From Software and NamcoBandai have very limited PC experience.

Who gives a fuck if it needs a controller. I'm actually looking forward to blighttown not running in the teens for fps. Goddamnit From software, you're getting another 40-60 from me.

This has to be the first time in the history of anything that an internet petition has worked. I think I may buy it based on that fact alone.

lets not forget these guys also made Armored Core ...

Armored core would be nice on the PC too... There are next to no mecha games (the best mech action in any title from the last few years was in F.E.A.R...but that was only small sections, front mission was ok but really really short) but custom mechs made from hundreds of components and 16 player battlers would be awesome.

Though the series has been getting easier and easier, would be good to go back to more customization and a bit greater difficulty. Some of the massive slowdown on some of the giant bosses would be dealt with too.

Theres quite a few console games i'd like to be ported...more fightings games: mortal kombat/soulcaliber (both UE games!) , mech games: armored core, games like castlevania/monster hunter but all that seems to come across are games which the PC has loads of anyway.

There was a separate rumor a few months ago about a DLC pack for the consoles.
That could still be on the way.

Looking forward to playing Dark Souls in high resolution on a PC.
PC only gamers have no idea of how lucky they are to get this.
It's one of the best games to come out, on any platform, in many years.

I already broke 2 ps3 controllers playing this game. No way in hell i'm gonna risk my mouse and keyboard with this lol.

Looking forward to playing Dark Souls in high resolution on a PC.
PC only gamers have no idea of how lucky they are to get this.
It's one of the best games to come out, on any platform, in many years.

Seriously. Demons Souls was THE reason I bought a PS3 and it didn't disappoint me in any way. Then Dark Souls came out and improved on it in nearly every way. Brilliant games.

Hopefully it sells well so From Software can keep porting their games to PC.

Okay, this is the kind of thing that if you have any interest in the game at all, you should really buy. Want to put an end to console-exclusives? Show that no matter the genre, any formerly "console only" or "X console exclusive" title can do as well or better on PC. So long as this isn't encumbered with asinine DRM beyond "Steamworks" level of intrusion, costs more than $50, DLC'ed to hell and back, or is poorly ported, then its a sure buy from me - even though I have Dark Souls for X360. The fact they're bringing along new bosses and such shows they're spending some time to make it really worthwhile, hopefully.

Just a note for those interested - you may want to get a gamepad of some kind for this.

"You are going to die... A LOT."

Looking forward to this game.

... but if it needs a gamepad to be played with the most comfort, I'm ok with that.

I'm not, I own a PS/3 and played Demon Souls on it for a few days. The entire time I played it felt like I was fighting with the controller. Demon Souls basically is an FPS, you change your view point to change your aim point, and controllers simply cannot do that as fluidly as keyboard+mouse.

To me the entire point of a PC port is to be able to use the superior controls of the PC.

I'm not, I own a PS/3 and played Demon Souls on it for a few days. The entire time I played it felt like I was fighting with the controller. Demon Souls basically is an FPS, you change your view point to change your aim point, and controllers simply cannot do that as fluidly as keyboard+mouse.

To me the entire point of a PC port is to be able to use the superior controls of the PC.

:confused:

You can call any game a FPS if you use that description.

:confused:

You can call any game a FPS if you use that description.

No, there are plenty of games that don't have aim points, most RPGs and strat/tact games come to mind. But when you do a first or third person game with an aim point, in almost all cases, including Demon and Dark souls, the best controller becomes keyboard+mouse.

And you can use missile weapons in Demon Souls, and probably Dark Souls, and when using missile weapons, it played almost exactly like an FPS. :)

You cant really complain about a port if your asking for a port, i'll be buying this just because it looks like fun even if it is pretty bare bones as far as options are concerned.

I have no desire to play through dark souls again, but I'll buy it just to say thank you to From for listening to the PC community. Ya know, provided its not just a godawful port. This is pretty cool of them.

I just hope they get it to run smooth without needing high end hardware. I swear the hardest thing in Dark Souls is the frame rate followed by the camera in some spots... And it seems like some ports require way to much computer for the graphics they deliver.

Well said. Some games really are better suited to a gamepad rather than KB/M.

Nice. I'm excited for this. Just give me a 1920x1080x60fps version that's been cleaned up (and not littered with bugs) and I'll be happy.
I held off on the console versions hoping that we'd see this and I'm glad I did.

Doesn't this usally make people really really angry? :D

1 to 1 content is fine. The important thing is the implementation on PC platform. For example, adding some graphical options or the ability to set FOV would be good.

Other than that, I don't think anyone is expecting them to redo the entire game, revamp the graphics with some high res texture or something.

Nice. I'm excited for this. Just give me a 1920x1080x60fps version that's been cleaned up (and not littered with bugs) and I'll be happy.
I held off on the console versions hoping that we'd see this and I'm glad I did.

This. I don't think it will be to difficult, but we'll see.
Pending any catastrophic errors, I'm excited for this. Never played either of the two, but friends have raved. Haven't had a good challenge in a while... Bring it

I wanted to get Demon Souls but I held off which was very hard considering all the deals on that game before Dark Souls was released.

Then when Dark Souls came out I was very tempted to buy it for my PS3 but wanted to wait until it was a little cheaper. I'm glad I waited this long to see it being released on the PC.

My question is, how is the multiplayer aspect of this game? Are you able to team up with a buddy or two and do co-op through the whole game?

Is this game an offline game or an online game ? I am unfamiliar with the Soul games.

You can play through the entire game offline but when you play online, many interesting things happen. Although Demons Souls emphasized this even more than Dark Souls.

And yes there is co-op and PvP, although it's all somewhat randomized. By joining at the same time, after some trial and error, it is possible to connect with a friend in the same game.

My question is, how is the multiplayer aspect of this game? Are you able to team up with a buddy or two and do co-op through the whole game?

You can only co-op for bosses and (like the above poster stated) it's entirely random; this is a design decision by the developer as they never want you to feel completely safe in the world. In fact, they specifically disable party voice chat in the console versions to prevent any facility of co-op with a friend.

In addition to that, you can be 'invaded' at any time by other players who are looking to kill you for your souls (the equivalent of money and XP in the game).

There are 9 factions in the game, each one having a unique multiplayer goal. Some allow you to invade much more often, others allow you to have an easier time in co-op, or give you rewards for killing invaders. It's all pretty unique and fun, playing offline is like missing an essential part of the game :)

Really? I've never really seen summon signs anywhere besides directly outside the boss room.

Back