Dark Rock 4 sufficient for a stock 3900x?

Halon

Gawd
I've been asked to supervise / sanity check a build for a friend who's building a Zen 2 box. Would a be quiet! Dark Rock 4 be sufficient to cool a 3900x with PBO enabled? It wasn't quite up to the task of keeping my 7940x from throttling under sustained load, but I'm hoping it can deal with AMD's 12 core CPU well enough. Thanks!

I have a Dark Rock 4 pro on a stock 3900x. Whisper quiet and tested to handle 250w at least. In other words, no problems. Even overclocked

Reactions: Halon
like this
I thought that might be the case, but this is a great place to sanity check. Thank you so much!

I'm tempted to get a 3900x as well, if the Dark Rock Pro 4 is good enough then I'm guessing my Thermalright Macho Rev B should also be adequate?

Edit: oops, big typo.

Last edited:
Dark Rock 4 and Dark Rock 4 Pro are two different coolers. OP seems like he's asking about the non-Pro version.

That being said, Techspot did a writeup about the 3900x Wraith Prism and found that it works fine. If that works, I'm sure any better cooler would also work fine.
Yea I hoped he noted the difference. That’s why I said pro in mine. But even the wraith prism does well enough stock.

I've yet to see an air cooler that could stop the 3900X from hitting 95C and thermal throttling in Prime95.

That said, Prime95 probably isn't representative of a real-world use case.

I'm tempted to get a 3900x as well, if the Dark Rock Pro 4 is good enough then I'm guessing my Thermaltake Macho Rev B should also be adequate?

That's a Thermalright cooler, not Thermaltake.. there is a huge difference lol.

One makes good stuff, the other makes junk.

Back